Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Hello!

My name is Substandard and I'm a steamaholic. Really, this would apply to other platforms too (360/PS3), but 1 thing at a time I suppose. I currently have 142 games, my last purchase was King Arthur last week when it was on sale. My last 3 purchases have actually all been RTS games, despite the fact that I don't tend to like RTS's or be any good at them. Deals are deals. For a long time I really didn't play any game other than WoW, but never stopped buying them when on sale. I've quit WoW (which is a victory in itself), and want to start playing through my massive backlog.

I'm not sure I've paid full price for anything on Steam ever. It's the summer / winter / weekend sales that get me. Particularly on things that are well reviewed.

Anyway, I've completed maybe 4-5 of the games in my list, and I've put a reasonable amount of time into Beat Hazard / Audiosurf / Left4Dead. This leaves me with roughly 135 games that I've not really played much of.

My first random roll of 1-142 was #27, which is Defense Grid on my list, assuming I counted right. So that's what I'll be playing until I manage to complete it. I am a whopping .4 hours into this game according to my current stats. My stats didn't record properly for a while due to firewall settings but this seems to be accurate.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Substandard posted:

My first random roll of 1-142 was #27, which is Defense Grid on my list, assuming I counted right. So that's what I'll be playing until I manage to complete it. I am a whopping .4 hours into this game according to my current stats.

So I finished Defense Grid over the weekend. It took about 12 hours, and I enjoyed most of it. The ability to only put towers at certain points makes the game way harder, and actual seems to work out OK after I hated the first few levels of no tower upgrades and like 3 places to put the towers. By the very end I thought it had gone on long enough, but it was a good time, and I think I got my $2 out of it or whatever it cost me.

It feels good to actually get through something and know I didn't just throw the money away.

As a negative, this didn't really help me with the backlog, since I also bought Hitman: Blood Money when it was on sale on Friday, so I still have the 135 things I've not played.

Anyway, my next random roll (now 1-143) was a 6, which leads me to BFBC2. I'll probably play through the single player on this and play the multiplayer a bit before moving on.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Update:

So, I have been attempting to play through BF:BC2 for a few weeks now. In that time, I've managed to play through about half of the game (5 hours).

I hate the single player. Everything is just walking down a corridor to the next cut scene, much like COD. I don't generally like these types of games and I'm not sure that I have another 5 hours in me at the moment.

So instead I played all the way through Dragon Age 2 on the PS3 (which shares a similar level design philosophy, but I liked a bit better), played through most of Duke Nukem 3d (GoG) and remembered when FPS games were way more fun, and I bought RIFT, which I've been playing a lot of.

So I've decided to switch off of BF:BC2 and select a new non-mmo game with which to occupy my time. my random roll was #38, which is GTA:IV. I've beaten this on the 360, but I never played the episodes, so I'll try to get through those on the PC.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

fatpat268 posted:

On a side note, if you like vanilla GTA4, you'll probably like the episodes just as much if not more. Ballad of Gay Tony is the best iteration of GTA4 there is, and puts the "fun" back into GTA. My only gripe was that I wish it were longer.

I wasn't actually a huge fan of vanilla GTA4, but I loved San Andreas. I largely just didn't really like Nico or the story, and I missed jet packs and base jumping. Honestly Saint's Row 2 is the true successor to San Andreas, but I've played through it bunches already.

So I'm hoping you're right and Ballad of Gay Tony brings back some fun. I'm hoping to get into it today after work.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Red_Fred posted:

Well I just finished The Ballad of Gay Tony bringing the episodes to an end. Spent about 12 hours on each but they are not 100% or anything close.

Perhaps Mirror's Edge will be next as I hear it's pretty short. I feel I'll get a lot more done if I start with the short ones.

No one has any tips on grouping steam library's?

I'm so close to being done with this! It's been on my list for like a month and a half, but I got distracted my 204 hours of RIFT (which I think I'm done with now) and some Terraria (my most recent shameful purchase).

Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great but I'm having some technical issues with slowdown (particularly while driving) that screwing with the graphics settings don't seem to really fix. It's not unplayable, just annoying.

As far as grouping goes, I just use favorites (like 5 games I play a lot, TF2 etc.), and currently playing (my 1 game I am supposed to be playing) and leave everything else in a mass except a small hidden section of things I don't want in my list.

I tried genres but it's tough to know where to put some things and it caused more problems than it solved.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've updated myself on backloggery.. Anyway.. I gave up on GTA IV episodes eventually. I got like 12 hours into ballad of gay tony and then overwrote my save with and lost like 3 hours and it seemed like too much work. So I beat Saints row 2 again, then started New Vegas / Oblivion. I'm winding down on oblivion at the moment playing with a bunch of mods.

Backloggery picked STALKER for me to start now, but it seems a bit too close to fallout: nv, so I may get another fortune cookie.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Redwinters posted:

I need to steal that resolution. I think I have maybe 10 games on my list I actually completed.

Out of 123 Games. :smithicide:

Don't feel too bad. According to wastedonsteam I've got over 60% of the games on my account with no time played. :suicide:

Some of them are new (I bought way to much this sale), some are from packs and a few predate time tracking , but it's a pretty terrible stat. I have < an hour played on a bunch of others.

I have been getting a bit better at actually playing things to completion, beating Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Mass Effect 2, Eversion and Puzzle Agent since the end of November (along with Uncharted 3 on PS3). I've been attempting to at work through the things I bought for nearly full price first.

I'm going to attempt to get backloggery back up to speed and enter into complete lockdown mode and not buy anything new (with the exception of diablo 3 that I payed for months ago) until I've beaten at least 50% of the games I own that are actually beatable. This will be quite an accomplishment if I manage to achieve it, since I have 370 games on my account at the moment. At least my average purchase price is <$4!

Anyway, I'm working on Fallout: New Vegas at the moment, and it is great, but the fact that I enjoy all of the 25 hr+ RPGs really diminishes my completion numbers. Also, if you play this game you should try the Project Nevada mod. Bullet Time is better and more fun than VATS, and most of the other changes seem logical and fun without being obtrusive. I'm using it for my first play through and really like it.

I'll probably head to Puzzle Agent 2 next then Dawn of War II, skip over to Halo: Reach on the Xbox 360, then perhaps randoms for a bit unless something strikes my fancy.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 3, 2012

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Well on the plus side I set up backloggery and beat Fallout: New Vegas and Bastion in the last few days. I liked both of them quite a bit, but to be honest I think all of the Game of the Year level hype for Bastion is a bit overblown. It's a decent action game with light RPG elements and a cool narrative idea. I don't think it changed my life or anything but I definitely enjoyed the morning I spent going through it.

I've also been working on Halo: Reach on Heroic on the 360, which is harder than I remember. Mostly due to the fact that a single grenade will kill you. I am like 1/3rd of the way through and am finding it frustrating and wishing I had just played it on normal. I suck at Halo apparently.

As a negative I bought more games, including the XCom pack (which I wanted a lot) and Duke Nukem Forever and Homefront.

I don't actually really have any interest in either of those last 2 games, but they were a grand total of $3.50 after amazon promo codes. So I guess now I've stooped to buying things I have zero interest in. Way to stay strong on not increasing the backlog! At least I hear Homefront is like 3 hours long. I can stomach that.

Anyway, Here is my backloggery:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've finished a few games since my last update, but I bought at least an equal number, so I'm not really getting anywhere. It is nice to complete things though.

I recently beat Homefront. I actually enjoyed the game fairly well after going into it with very low expectations.

It's very similar to recent CoD games in that it's basically running in a line from cutscene to cutscene, and it shares the weird hyper-nationalist / semi-racist tone of most modern military shooters (but it's OK because it's in the future!). I think what I actually liked about it is that the story (until the last mission) is fairly small / contained compared to CoD. It's just focused on one group of resistance people with a seemingly semi achievable goal. Plus the gunplay is pretty good and guys in general are not bullet sponges. Also the environments are pretty cool. And it's short enough that by the time it had worn out its welcome 4 hours in I was done with it.

I also beat Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II on single player and liked it a lot. I am not a big RTS fan in general, since I seem to lack the basebuilding speed and ability to switch back and forth between my base and my units at lightning speed necessary, but this game is all about micro managing a small squad of guys (never more than 4 main troops at a time outside of a few special missions) and I liked it a lot better. Plus it has some light RPG elements where you can decide how to build / equip them. I loved it and look forward to the add ons at some point soon.

On the console front I beat Catherine in which I loved the story and didn't much like the block pushing and Driver: San Francisco which I thought had a cool "shift" mechanic and was really fun driving around causing massive pile-ups, but didn't think much of the story. I finally replaced my red ring'd Xbox 360 and have been playing quite a bit of that recently.

Trying to finish up Portal 2 (I'm stuck close to the end, may have to youtube), and starting Lost Odyssey on 360. Also continuing to work through Faerie Solitaire in short increments and about halfway through the "story". Great time waster.

Sorry for the wall of text but I've been playing quite a bit. I've finished about 15 games since November and I don't know that I've done that in a few years prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Chief Savage Man posted:

Not on Steam but finished ME3. Not sure what to play next.

Same here.. I got to be massively disappointed by the end of ME3 as well.

I actually have beaten a bunch of Non-steam / Xbox / PS3 stuff recently but my steam backlog is not decreasing at all recently.

I'm going to finally finish Portal 2 tonight since I think I got stuck right at the end before. Then I am not sure what to move on to.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 12, 2012