Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I have a huge backlog and not much time to play due to work. So far this year I've beaten:

-Zeno Clash
-Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Amnesia
-Serious Sam: Second Encounter

That's really depressing. I'm currently still chipping away at Just Cause 2, which I bought during the Thanksgiving sale, 58 hours so far. And I'm about halfway through Crysis. I'm hoping to find the inspiration to complete the last few races in Grid, which I stopped playing a while ago. I also started Ben There, Dan That, but haven't got back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Migishu posted:

I haven't had a chance to update the second post recently, I'll set some time to do it tomorrow.

Also, it's probably been mentioned, but Backloggery registrations are open again. I'd like to just have that listed in there if possible.

I noticed I'm in that second post. In case you do update it, Just Cause 2 and Crysis are BEATEN, now I'm slowly chipping away at GTA4, almost beaten Blood: One Whole Unit from GOG, and banging my head against Bit.Trip Runner. That game is a bastard.

When I finish Blood, I hope to resume Descent 2, as I stopped last year about halfway through due to burn out (I started it right after beating the first game). When I finish GTA4, I'm going to see if I can knock off a bunch of those short games on my Steam list to make it seem like progress is being made with my backlog.

GTA4 is looooong when you have a full-time job and not much freetime, so I'm not going to play anymore long games for a while (sorry The Witcher)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Here's my Backloggery:

It's just Steam games at the moment, though I guess I should stick my GOG stuff as well.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

How many of you have actually 'completed' your games? None of mine are complete as it says you need to have beaten it on all difficulty levels and gotten all achievements. I never do that. Once the credits roll, it's done as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I have to think about some games that have no achievements or difficulty options...

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Then once you've 'completed' the game, you can move on to 'mastering' it!

:suicide:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I know the difference between beaten and completed, it's just that these days I can't be hosed putting that much effort into anything. So many games, and so little time...

And with DX:HR so close...

My backlog :negative:

Back in the day I completed Thief Gold on expert without killing anyone, so I should add that one to backloggery so I can tick it off as mastered.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

AesirKnight posted:

Welp, I finally finished the main storyline of Just Cause 2. I'll probably leave it on my hard drive for a bit, for whenever I feel like dicking around a bit. It was an enjoyable game; I threw a few mods on (unlimited ammo, longer grapple range, no cutscene for black market) that really made it way more fun than I felt like the base game was. It feels good to cross another game off the list.

Now that you've beaten the story, get the Superman mod, combined with invincibility.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

The past month:

11-01-11 New Game: The Binding of Isaac (Steam)
11-01-11 New Game: Blocks that Matter (Steam)
11-01-11 New Game: Costume Quest (Steam)
11-01-11 New Game: Renegade Ops (Steam)
10-30-11 New Game: Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (GOG)
10-30-11 New Game: Realms of the Haunting (GOG)
10-29-11 New Game: Gemini Rue (Steam)
10-29-11 Beat: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Steam)
10-29-11 New Game: Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year (Steam)
10-28-11 Beat: DiRT 2 (Steam)
10-28-11 New Game: Zombie Shooter (Steam)
10-28-11 New Game: Penumbra: Requiem (Steam)
10-28-11 New Game: Penumbra: Black Plague (Steam)
10-28-11 New Game: Painkiller: Black Edition (Steam)
10-27-11 New Game: Nimbus (Steam)
10-27-11 New Game: A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda (Steam)
10-22-11 New Game: Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (StGOG)
10-22-11 New Game: Rayman 2: The Great Escape (GOG)
10-22-11 New Game: Rayman Forever (GOG)
10-15-11 Beat: Serious Sam Double D (Steam)
10-15-11 New Game: Total Annihilation: Commander Pack (GOG)
10-15-11 New Game: Alone in the Dark 1 + 2 + 3 (GOG)
10-14-11 New Game: Outcast (GOG)
10-14-11 New Game: Blood 2: The Chosen + Expansion (GOG)
10-06-11 Beat: Bastion (Steam)
10-05-11 New Game: SpaceChem (Steam)
10-03-11 New Game: Day of Defeat (Steam)
10-01-11 Beat: Grand Theft Auto IV (Steam)
10-01-11 New Game: Trauma (Steam)

For gently caress's sake.

At least I managed to beat a few things. Half of that stuff is from bundles or it was gifted. I hadn't actually bought anything from GOG in a while but they have had some good sales lately.

All that new stuff and do you know what I've played the most the past few days? Half-Life. I've decided to do a run through the whole series. Seeing as they are all already marked as 'beaten', it's not going to make a dent in my backlog at all.

:suicide:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I decided to do a Red Faction run to knock them all out of my backlog. Red Faction 1 i'd previously beaten back in the day, it still holds up well, quite janky in parts but overall a good time. Onto Red Faction 2...

What the gently caress? This is one of the worst games I've ever played. What the gently caress happened? Volition are generally a competent developer. Every single bad fps design decision you can think of is in this game. Respawning enemies, no quick saves / awful checkpoint system, the worst regenerating health i've encountered (it's so slowwww), bullet sponges etc. There's a sniper section and the snipers respawn. I ended up switching the difficulty ro easy after this stupid bulletsponge boss and her constantly spawning friends got too tiring. Best decision. The game becomes a lot more enjoyable when you're almost invincible. The game has a decent selection of weapons, I'll give it that.

I heard Guerilla's supposed to be fun. Onto that next.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I was looking at maybe finishing some quick games this weekend before D3 comes out, but I'm trying to figure out how I can "beat" Audiosurf and Beathazard. :iiam:

I marked Beat Hazard as "beaten" after getting all the ranks. By that stage I had seen plenty of the game. I figured to "complete" it would be to get all the achievements.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

I better update here:

I've been working on Max Payne so I can move to Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne to prepare to play one of my new preorder games; Max Payne 3

:):hf::)

Sup replaying Max Payne buddy

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

Actually it's my first time though, but sure, Max Payne buddies.

Well, okay then. I hope you enjoy it!

My memories of Max Payne 2 from playing it back in the day is that it's my favourite pure action game ever, hopefully it still holds up :ohdear:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Beaten Max Payne again. I realize now why I put it on God mode for the last section of the game all those years ago. It turns into a total quicksave fest, where every enemy can kill you in a millisecond. Thankfully, I managed to beat it without cheating this time. One of the reasons I like Max Payne 2 so much more is that it's a smoother experience all the way through, It doesn't resort to any of that bullshit.

Also, I decided to google Sam Lake, as not only did he write Max Payne's script, he also provided his likeness:

Dude

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Beat Max Payne 2 as well. It still holds up from when I last played it. It fixes the issues from the first one like the stupid difficulty across the last few levels, and the grenades. In MP1 if a grenade landed anywhere near you it was almost impossible to get away before it blew up. The bullet time is modified to make the gunplay more :krad:

Also beat Garshasp: The Monster Slayer. It could have been quite good, but it is janky and unpolished as gently caress. There are also some poor design decisions. Sliding down walls :kratos:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Beat: Rogue Warrior: Not as bad as its Metacritic score of 29 suggests. Okay, don't get me wrong, it's a basic cover shooter in a completely uninspired setting, but it's not buggy or unplayable. (Reviews point to a raft of technical issues, maybe it's patched or I'm just lucky?). I beat it in a bit over 2 hours, which is the perfect length as I was over it by then. If you paid full price for it you'd be understandably pissed, but I got it in the Quakecon pack with a million other games for $40 so who gives a poo poo.

The most distinctive aspect of this game is your character of Dick Marcinko voiced by Mickey Rourke. He swears nonstop, everytime he kills anyone. If you have a developed sense of humour you would find the nonstop xenophobic vulgarity tasteless and offensive. I don't, so I found it hilarious. He even sings a song in the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

It's quite easy on normal difficulty. I'm sure a few of you have this game sitting shamefully on your Steam list so give it a try.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Chinook posted:

Your post has made me want to play this, haha. The swearing with every kill, in particular. :)

Once I finish up with Chaser (a game I both like and hate), I'll move onto Rogue Warrior! Thanks for the writeup.

I was so tempted by Chaser, some lovely early 2000s fps for $1.25, but I forgot to buy it :(

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I remember vaguely playing the demo of Chaser back in the day. it didn't do too mucb for me then becaause the demo was a sewer level for some unknown reason. Way to try and sell your game guys!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Serious question: has there been any game in which the sewer level wasn't total poo poo?

I'm not confident in my ability to evaluate sewer levels fairly, since they cause reflexive nausea ever since I played FF8, but I sure can't think of any.

I... really don't know. I'm not sure how exciting you can make a sewer. And why do sewer levels even exist anyway. Like who the hell ever hangs out in a sewer. Is it just game devs being fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as kids and being like, yeah man, sewers!!!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Don't feel bad. It's an unwinnable piece of poo poo and made that way on purpose.

Yeah, I started playing this when I got it in a Humble Bundle as it looked pretty chill from the video. After a few levels it hit a difficulty cliff. I persisted with it for a bit but quickly gave up.

Edit: In fact, in an amazing coincidence, I'm giving away a copy of this on Steamgifts! It's public, so you'll have to compete with the unwashed masses, but your chances of winning are still higher than actually beating this game!

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/xB0W4/osmos

put both hands in fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 14, 2012

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

A couple of recent games I've actually beaten in between the 400 games I've added to my backlog recently:

Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 1 - I watched all the movies recently so I jumped on this when it went on sale. Good first episode, very faithful, it's great hearing Christopher Lloyd reprising Doc, and the guy doing Marty is very authentic. The puzzles weren't too difficult, I saw it more as an opportunity to reacquaint myself with some old friends. Ends on a cliffhanger, so looking forward to see where it goes next.

Crysis: Warhead - Good fun, it's easier than Crysis as they've adjusted the suit powers a bit so you actually feel like a supersoldier instead of the fragile snowflake that can die in an instant like in the first one. It's great Rambo-ing a heap of Koreans and aliens without constantly looking for cover. It clocks in at about half the length of Crysis, but still manages to pack in a good amount of memorable moments and locations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Nulled: Jamestown - This game is great, at least until Croatoa. Not only are you up against loads of bullets, but the environment as well. There's one bit where you lose 3 lives in like 2 seconds. I have no idea what the boss for this level is like as I never got that far. The only way I see to beat this is by rote memorization, and that's not why I play games. I've got better things to do. It was really good up until this point. Disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

See, the thing is i don't have a problem with the bullets, it's the environment moving around, crushing me. Having to concentrate on that and the bullets as well is too much for me! The other levels are just bullets and it's good.