Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Alright, getting in on this.

237 Uncompleted PC games. God help us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I guess I should comment on some of the games I've been beating, huh? I've been beating games, I swear!

VVVVVV: A great little platformer game with a fun and interesting gimmick. Can also be downright frustrating at times, as well. Didn't bother going for all the artifacts.

Saints Row: The Third: Fantastic game, of course. I had planned to do all of the achievements, but I got a bit burned out by the time I finished it. Still 100%'d the game, though.

Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012: Pretty fun, actually! I'm a big fan of real-life Magic, so it was cool just letting go of deck-building (for the most part) and focusing on the strategy that's given to you. There are still some pretty bullshit plays that can be made against you, but it's fun for the most part. The expansion's reverse-Archenemy mode (where you play the Archenemy) is awesome.

Machinarium: I enjoyed this game a lot. I'm apparently really bad at puzzle games, though (or just impatient, I'm not sure which), as I used the walkthrough quite a few times. I eventually got frustrated with the in-game walkthrough (or, rather, the method of opening the drat thing), and ended up just GameFAQs-ing it.

The Binding of Isaac: Beat, but not completed. I'm really in love with this game. There's a lot that just really clicks with me: the exploration, the random power-ups, the macabre feel of the game...just really cool all around. I'm almost done with the game (4 runs of Sheol left with Judas, Eve, Maggy, and ??? to go), but I'm sure I'll be coming back to it from time to time to play another run.

Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers (the first one): Ugh. Don't play this game. There's so much wrong with it that the second game fixes. It's ponderously slow, for one thing. For another, the only way you can change your decks is switching in and out the cards you unlock. You can't touch your base cards at all. This sucks because about 80% of the cards you unlock are cards that are definite upgrades to your decks, leaving you with bloated 70-card decks. The third major thing that infuriated me was that you couldn't change the land count for decks. This was also a problem in the 2012 edition, but I didn't even notice it there. Here, though...I ended up playing the red-blue-black deck Eons of Evil for the last few games. It's a "reanimator" deck, although 4 Zombifies does not a reanimator deck make. So you have several high-cost creatures that you're probably going to have to straight cast...and they give you 20 lands to use. For reference, if you actually wanted to play this deck you should have 24-26 lands if you want to consistently draw the lands you need, especially if you're playing with three colors. So, again, avoid this one and just play the 2012 edition.

My hard drive crashed recently, so I haven't been able to play much (finished the first Magic on my laptop), but I've been working on finishing Binding of Isaac mostly. Once I get a new hard drive, I'll be able to play more.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Can anyone suggest a game for me to play that I can either play muted and/or in a window? I'm looking for some games to knock off my backlog while I'm listening to podcasts or watching videos.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I knocked out NightSky yesterday. It was pretty fun, but the physics annoyed me towards the end. There were lots of "we put this platform juuuust before it should be for you to land on it if you were going normal speed." I loved all of the vehicles, though, they were awesome and I wish they were utilized more.

Now I'm working on Puzzle Quest 2 (which I already had a few hours on) and Breath of Death VII. Aquaria is annoying me right now, so I'm putting it on hold.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Not Steam-related, but I after a year of owning and never playing it, I went through and beat Final Fantasy XIII. It was fun and I definitely want to grab XIII-2 at some point, but probably not until I get and beat Xenoblade.

My JRPG itch still needs to be scratched, though, so I think next up is The Last Remnant. The last boss gets harder only if I beat all of the side quests, right? Should I just do all of them besides the last one?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Not Steam-related, after a year of owning and never playing it, I finally beat Final Fantasy XIII. Not bad, but not great. Really it was just in preparation for Xenoblade coming out and the fear that no other JRPG will ever live up to it. Playing through Persona 4 now.

On the Steam side of things, I'm trying to play through games that I can listen to podcasts whilst playing. So far I've beaten Torchlight. Torchlight was good, though I followed the advice to start on Hard mode and that bit me in the rear end later on. The last boss was an absolute pain. Moved on to Spellforce 2.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Was it Black Ops that gave you the Dragon's Breath shotgun or whatever it was called that shot explosive rounds that blew people apart and set things on fire? That part was fun as hell.

Yes! I thought that section was frustrating as hell, but that gun was awesome.

In other news, I finally built a new character and beat Demon's Souls. It was a pretty great romp. Plenty hard and very frustrating at times, but oh so satisfying when you clear a section you're stuck on. Some pretty impressive set pieces as well, but world 5 can go gently caress right off. The second level is a giant poison swamp that constantly eats at your health and makes it so you can't run or roll. And it's huge.

So now, on to Dark Souls! I can get a taste of it before Diablo 3 destroys my life, at least.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

I ended up going back and grabbing 2 poison resist rings and a bunch of that antidote grass in order to get through the swamp in Demon's Souls. Once you got through it the first time you could use the bridge to get back to the end boss if you ever died, so that made it pretty cool. I couldn't imagine having to go through the swamp multiple times.

Yeah I died a couple times to stupid things and had to traverse the first half of the swamp a few more times than I would have cared for, but the boss was really easy and I killed it on my first go.

I didn't even bother trying to grab items out of the plague swamp in the last level. I just killed the boss, said gently caress it, and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lavatein posted:

You know how people sometimes try to fill out a steam alphabet, where they try to own at least one game starting with every letter? I decided to see if I could do something similar with 100% completed games, and it turned out I was only missing 7 letters! GINQUVX. So, I figured that's a goal I can work towards from now on. With that in mind, new 100% achievements for this week:

Oh, that's a great idea. I should look into that.