Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
I currently have 162 games worth about $1,650. Like most of you, I got the bulk of these through bundle packages on sale. According to my new backloggery page, I've only completed 43% of my catalog. Technically it's less but for the sake of sanity I'm counting games I already beat in their original console version as completed even if I never touched them through Steam.

I am treading dangerous waters here. I have to admit, a lot of these uncompleted games on my list I really have no interest in playing. Some of them, like the older Star Wars: Jedi Knight shooters, do not play well on my current system, which was built in the past decade not the 90's. Others, like Frontlines: Fuel of War, look like the kind of cheap cookie-cutter bargain bin poo poo you see at Target and Wal-mart. Those ones I only have because they were somehow part of an otherwise decent publisher package. Then there's the gifts, like loving Duke Nukem Forever. Yeah, that one is staying uncompleted. I got about fifteen minutes into it and there's not enough liquor/weed/self-loathing in the universe to get me to re-install.

Still, I'd like to get that 43% up to something more like 80. Under 50 is just inexcusable.

Here's my :krad: sig image:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

So I've kicked off my backloggery with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Somehow I have the deluxe edition with all the DLC so I might as well get through it. I remember when I first got it I was fresh off of playing Fallout 3 and the differences were jarring. First person melee combat is still taking some getting used to and the journal-esque interface is a lot less intuitive than the PipBoy (although once you get past the UI design it's essentially the same thing). The absolute strangest thing in Oblivion, though, is the leveling system. You only level up if you work on skills that are core to your character class. So if you run around a lot but athleticism isn't a key trait it doesn't mean poo poo as far as leveling up goes, and you don't get anything at all from completing quests. Wish I knew that when I was rolling my character piecemeal down in the sewers but I'm not starting over again now. Oh, also you don't level up right away but you have to go sleep in a bed and "think about what you've learned" before it takes effect. Weird but alright, guess it adds to the realism... in this completely surreal fantasy game.

The first few times I tried to play it I got about twenty minutes in and stopped, bored, confused and completely disinterested. This time is different. I never noticed how nice the graphics were, and I made an effort to really pay attention to the tutorial. Also instead of rolling a spell caster (for the ranged attacks) I rolled a warrior tank that's all bash and brawl (and I made him look like a chunky downs kid, of course) and what a difference! Swinging a big claymore around is a lot more effective and forgiving that shooting fireballs and running out of magicka in seconds. I was getting my rear end handed to me in the opening missions back when I first tried this game and now I'm plowing through enemies with ease.

So far the story is kind of dull and the writing and acting is pretty meh compared to Fallout, but I'm hoping it picks up. Since you don't gain XP in the usual fashion of completing quests I figure I'm just going to power right through the main story. Most of the DLC was in the form of strongholds, which are nothing but money pits you have to spend a shitload on redecorating.

I'm having fun in particular with the Arena, which is just one deathmatch after another for cash and battle XP.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Haha oh man Research & Development was the last mod review I did for Planet Half-Life. It actually got the highest ratings I gave my whole tenure, I think.

Then again considering some of the poo poo mods that were floated my way that's not saying much.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I got to a point in Oblivion where quests were either too hard or too frustrating to be interesting, so I'm shelving it for now. You do a lot of work in that game for very little reward and I'm more and more convinced I messed up my character from the very beginning rolling the wrong attributes.

So instead tonight I started playing Assassin's Creed. At first the design sort of confused me, then right off the bat out of nowhere they throw in this futuristic sci-fi plot about DNA memories and a mad scientist plotting to take over the world as the basis for this period piece set during the Crusades. Talk about not being the game I expected. At all.

I actually really like it. The action is easy to control, the cinematics are awesome, I love the writing and it's nowhere near as punishing as I thought it would be. I was expecting something ridiculously challenging that required precision, like a Hitman game. All the precision you basically let the game handle for you, just hold the right button while you move in the right general direction and, oh look at that, another odd job accomplished. Plus you constantly stumble into collectibles and side-quests (which are done right on the spot and require no traveling out of the way) and more collectibles. I don't know why I've been letting this sit installed and yet unplayed for so many months.

Best part is that I got this and Assassin's Creed II in a bundle sale during the summer blow-out, so if the game manages to keep being this enjoyable I've got a whole sequel to look forward to!

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

It's very, very easy to screw up your character by choosing skills that ensure enemies level up faster than your combat skills do, yes.

I recommend grabbing a mod that fixes this (I used one that makes your level depend only on your combat skills) or one that unfucks level scaling, since designing and playing a character not to screw you over using the vanilla leveling system is unbearably tedious.

Alternately, give Oblivion a miss and just play Morrowind and Skyrim.

I didn't realize that as I leveled up the game was leveling up the enemies, too. The sudden difficulty wall I've hit now makes sense.

For example I just tried an arena battle (for the seventh time) in which they pit me against three guys, two of which have no weapons. This time I had an enchanted warhammer and heavy armor and it still only took them about 20 seconds to kill me. And I noticed that in-between hits they would instantly regenerate their health. I'm sure there's a trick to this battle, just like there's a trick to most of the poo poo in the game, but I've already gone on the Oblivion wiki a bunch and I'm not a fan of games in which you need a strategy guide or you're hosed.

Forget mods, I'm going to my last resort: the console. If the game cheats I'm going to cheat right back. And I'm going to pimp out Battlehorn Castle while I'm at it.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I'm done with Oblivion. Cheats can make up for unbalanced gameplay, but nothing helps piss poor writing and repetitive level design. Seriously, an Oblivion Gate outside of every little town, and you have to close them all to progress the main story? Each one is pretty much the same level, with the same stupid tower and the same anti-climactic ending. What lazy filler bullshit. Really disappointing considering how rich the rest of the world is. With all the extra pointless nonsense they threw in, they could have made the way you get the individual towns to help out a little more diverse. Or make the Oblivion Gates more unique than slightly different routes to get into the towers. Or something.

Even the console cheat 'CloseCurrentOblivionGate' didn't make it any less boring.

I got to an actual fun part, taking back the castle of Kvatch, and the game crashed and my save file is corrupted. I have absolutely no desire to retrace my steps through these gate quests again. I've wasted 19 hours on this so I'm calling it complete.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Palpek posted:

:stare: Isn't this like the very very beginning of the main quest? I wouldn't be able to play Oblivion nowadays and all but you haven't seen anything yet. You should maybe try to come back to this game in some time and at least complete the main quest and Dark Brotherhood sidequests - the latter being one of the best questlines in the whole Elder Scrolls setting.

Actually no. Yes, very early on I had become the Hero of Kvatch by closing the Oblivion Gate there, then they said, "Oh wait, we have to take back the castle, too!" and I said, "gently caress that, according to this dandy quest tracker that poo poo is optional!" Then I took Martin back to Jauffrey and after discovering the Amulet of Kings got jacked we high-tailed it to Cloud Ruler Temple. I actually spent a lot of time doing all kinds of junk after this, getting progressively more and more bored, until I finally hit my breaking point the other night, as described above.

Now Assassin's Creed is another story. This game still has me by the balls. Something about that eagle cry every time you dive off a tower into a bale of hay, I can't help but smile. Also killing Templars. In fact I'd be killing Templars right now if I wasn't so caught up in reading Video Game Hoaxes and Urban Legends: Still The Best. 1973. I'm up to page 44 and I've already learned so much about Killswitch, Pokemon: Black, a haunted cartridge of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and the infamous butter monster of Bio Force Ape. Too bad I can't chalk this up in my Backloggery when I'm done.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I'm almost done Assassin's Creed but god drat, the difficulty in this game goes from too easy to what you'd expect to just plain impossible. There was a part where I had to jump around a seaport area and I suddenly became the clumsiest assassin in history. I think I fell into the water and drowned about ten times before I even got to the guy I had to kill. I spent about forty minutes alone on the fight with Robert and his Templar goons in front of King Richard and I just had to stop. At one point I actually managed to beat all the guards without losing all but one of my sync before the boss came out himself. You know what happened? He did multiple grab attacks and pulled me through a memory block clipping wall and the game, sensing I was in an area I shouldn't have been in, decided that I was dead, despite still having half-sync. If that's not the game "cheating" I don't know what is. I tried quite a few more times and only half of those did I manage to get past the guards before the boss killed me himself.

I will finish at some point but I was about to break my keyboard in nerdrage.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Oh man I finally got through that bullshit fight in Assassin's Creed and of course there's still one more memory block left. gently caress I thought this was going to be it, I can only imagine how much harder it's going to be to finish.

I only won that fight, after another eight tries, through sheer luck and button mashing with just one sync bar left...

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Assassin's Creed completed! I beat the final memory block in just one go without dying, as opposed to the ninety minute epic I had been fighting, and re-fighting, and re-fighting with Robert just before. The ending scenes were the most anti-climactic bullshit...

The game was mostly a lot of fun, if repetitive. I figured out early on the best thing to do was to complete every investigation, save every helpless citizen and climb every view point before completing the area's assassination. My sync bar was already maxed out just past the halfway point. For the most part (:argh: Robert!) I had a very easy time of it and the different kill shots never got old.

What did get old was the background chatter. For such a rich design, the pedestrians populating the game were given like one or two spoken lines per NPC type. By the end of it I just wanted to slice down every beggar woman that was constantly loving harassing me and getting in my way with the same sob story about being poor. "Please sir do you have any money? Just a few coins, please! All I ask is for a few coins! I'm poor and sick and hungry! No YOU don't understand, I have nothing!"

Okay that was cool if a little creepy the first time. Added to the atmosphere a bit and whoa- "Please sir do you have any money? Just a few coins, please! All I ask is for a few coins! I'm poor and sick and hungry! No YOU don't understand, I have nothing!"

Weird. Okay well I guess I just triggered them too close together. I'll just be on my way, round a corner and oh god here comes another woman running over and- "Please sir do you have any money? Just a few coins, please! All I ask is for a few coins! I'm poor and sick and hungry! No YOU don't understand, I have nothing!"

Keep in mind that they will follow you and purposely get in your way and try to stop you while they're doing this. The whole game. In every area. The only variation being the EXACT SAME LINES done by different voice actresses. So they had the opportunity to do other lines but nope, they used multiple "talents" to do the exact same annoying lines that are used again and again and again for a game that takes over fifteen hours to beat. What the flying gently caress were they thinking?

Usually when you say a game is repetitive you're talking about the gameplay, not... whatever the gently caress this was. I mean the gameplay was repetitive too but at least it was fun.

Some of the voice actors sound like they were just people who happened to be working in the building when they needed a line recorded, were brought into the studio, did one take without even being told what their character was and then they were done.

Also, the cities were surprisingly overpopulated with lunatics and drunks, too very different things that just happened to use the same gibbering voice sounds and character animations (only the drunks were holding bottles to, you know, differentiate, I guess). While they were walking around having violent spasms and possibly making GBS threads themselves, they wouldn't touch anyone. Until they saw you. Then they would target you and only you for some playful shoving. By the time I finished the game had conditioned me to hate with a passion both beggars and the mentally handicapped, and handicapped drunks, too. gently caress I guess I've been brainwashed into becoming a Republican, great.

Or maybe that was the TEMPLAR PLOT ALL ALONG! Stay tuned for the sequel, which we made look like is going to start right after these credits are over.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Turada posted:

I think I'll play Assassin's Creed II and be Italian Batman.

I started playing and it's more like Italian Spiderman.

Streets? What are those?

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 but something about it just didn't click for me like the first one. Maybe it was all the Italian (my family is Italian so it's just more annoying than anything else), or that Leonard da Vinci is so crowbarred in like a distant video game cousin of Hudson Hawk. I don't know, I'll get around to finishing at some point.

In the meantime Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already on sale for :10bux: so I grabbed it and the DLC. Yeah I know, the opposite point of this thread but I doubt it'll ever be on sale for less any time soon.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I'm four hours into Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I have to admit, I am impressed. After the unplayable abortion of Invisible War my expectations were low, but this is as close to the original DX as I think they could possibly get. I just went through the part where you infiltrate a Detroit PD Precinct and from getting into the building to carrying out all the different quests it was actually making me nostalgic.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Xik posted:

You can also sneak in through the back. If I remember correctly you come up through the sewers and end up behind the fence. You then sneak in and go up the elevator to the various levels, as always though poo poo hits the fan if you are seen.

I did this, and it involved an old school pre-Source "physics" puzzle to boot. Moving over two crates you had to keep rearranging to get through an electrified hallway. Although once inside I didn't use the elevator but snuck through vents and right down the main stairwells. Lots of unconscious cops ended up in the vents...

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Last night I saw Psychonauts on sale for $5. :smith:

Everyone I know who has played it talks it up as the best game ever, Tim Schafer is a god, etc. Really not helping myself but what the hell. Only $5, right?

That reminds me, Schafer is giving a lecture at my old school this month, it's free and open to alumni. Probably filled up already but I think I'll RSVP.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

ReadMyMind posted:

I tried to go back to saint's row 2 after saint's row 3 (thanks like usual to a steam sale) and it was just awful in comparison. Saint's row 3 was freaking awesome though. I'm currently replaying 3 via coop. You don't have to do any side missions if you don't want to though I did a lot of them because they were designed very well compared to 2 to progress. And the story missions are just insane minus a few early tutorial missions that you basically steam through.

Yeah, the quality differences between Saints 2 and 3 are astounding. I got maybe two hours into SR2 before I gave up on it. The writing/acting was awful and I had absolutely no interest in the story from the court room sequence on. That stupid "we're more fun than GTA4 because we don't make you go bowling" marketing campaign fresh in my mind somehow made it even worse. But the biggest sin was that the PC port's controls are just so god awful I would say Streets of SimCity was better experience. SR3, on the other hand, had driving mechanics that were smooth as poo poo (not to mention better everything else, too). You can e-break a corner after kicking in nitro while spraying bullets out the side no sweat.

God I loved that game.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'm 16 hours into Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I'm only up to the second of four bosses. I kind of like the concept of a throwback to boss fights more than the actual fights themselves. They don't really fit into the rest of the game, which is still amazing so far. The truth about Picus reveal going into this latest boss fight induced a groan, really, how many more games are going to use this "it's really a super computer A.I. program!" trope?, but I have to say I didn't see it coming. In hindsight the whole story behind Picus and Eliza is actually a pretty neat little commentary on mass media.

ACPaco fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 15, 2012

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution (sitting through all four endings). It was really great, although not as good as the original. To me the story just wasn't as broad or epic. Sure this one mentions the Illuminati a few times, a younger Bob Page shows up in the opening cinematic and... that's it, but the first one also featured the Knights Templar, the Men in Black, Area 51 (aliens included), crazy mutated animals, a rouge A.I. and several more diverse locations to explore. It was like The X-Files almost. This one was just a pretty vanilla if futuristic corporate espionage story by comparison. Also the boss fights were really inconsistent with the rest of it and frustratingly hard. Regardless it was still a fun game for the most part and far surpassed my expectations.

Now on to the Missing Link expansion quest!

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Colon V posted:

And the after-credits stinger.

Son of a bitch...

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I started Psychonauts and it's pretty fun. Feels like a 3D Nintendo game. It's made me laugh, too.

What I don't like is that the game itself looks loving amazing on my graphics card, but all the cutscenes are pre-rendered and look like blurry poo poo. And you can't adjust the framerate even in the config.ini.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Completed F.E.A.R. 3. Did the whole thing in co-op with a buddy, it was a ton of fun, but a lot more over the top action than I was expecting.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Added Skyrim, From Dust, Max Payne 3, RAGE and Batman: Arkaham City to my library.

My hard drive didn't have enough space and I had to clean out a bunch of other games (I still haven't finished).

:negative:

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Have you tried the Steam Cleaner? Might free up some space.

That just saved me 2.2 GBs. Thanks!

I had started Borderlands and Saint's Row 2 before the sale hit. Borderlands is cool. I really want to like SR2 but the horrible vehicle control is killing it for me. The Third is so much smoother. Anyway that's on hold for now because I've now started Skyrim. Over 20 hours trudging the tundra so far and only at level 15. I don't even think I've done a third of the main story, either. I love it. I started Max Payne 3, too. For three hours I am bullet-time diving everywhere and at all times. The Jersey Shore chapter was epic.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Beat Max Payne 3, I really enjoyed it. Didn't snag all the collectibles or clues, not really sure if I feel like running through it again immediately at a higher difficulty. The story is pretty well written, though, and Max is such a great trainwreck of a man.

Also beat the main storyline of Skyrim. I was nearly 35 hours in at level 20. I thought Alduin was going to be a lot harder to beat at this stage but I figured I'd give it a shot, next thing I know he's dead as fast as any other dragon I've run into. At this point I haven't even touched any of the civil war quests and I have about a dozen side quests still incomplete, and I'm sure there's a ton more I haven't even found. I played through as a good-natured tank with a strong focus on one-handed maces and swords, heavy armor and blocking. I really want to try again already as a sneaky thief with bad moral judgement.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Beat Batman: Arkham City. Compared to the original it was kind of weak. The story just wasn't as interesting, and the plot twists were pretty dumb. I don't know why they had to crowbar in the Catwoman stuff, it was like they didn't think their main mission was long enough. The difficulty ramp up toward the end is nuts, though. The combat system is actually pretty satisfying once you get the timing and combos down.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Added Black Mesa. It's exactly what Valve should have done instead of Half-Life: Source.

I only have two maps left in Tropico 4 but I just can't bring myself around to them. I played it so long without a break I think I came to hate it.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Started RAGE. At first I thought it was just a prettier version of Borderlands, then I realized the shooting was way more intense. It's really an id Software take on a more open world game. I like having to blast low-level goons point-blank in the face with a shotgun not once but twice to put them down on Normal.

Added and already beat Dishonored, twice. I'll call it complete. It is Bioshock meets Thief. In fact that review I linked pretty much sums it up for me, too. I saw both endings, it was easy enough I could go back for a no-kill run to see if there's anything extra but I just don't want to. Not interested in the DLC either. But it was on sale and it was entertaining enough to do twice so I guess I got my $30 worth. After hearing all the "masterpiece" hype though it was kind of a dud.

Added and started Hotline Miami. Holy gently caress.

Added and started Limbo. I got to a point that made no apparent sense weeks ago and haven't revisited since. I'm sure there's some cute trick I'm missing, I don't care.

Also added Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Cities XL 2012.

lol and now I added Metro 2033 vvvvv

ACPaco fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 13, 2012

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Added Bad Rats, Condemned: Criminal Origins(both gifts) and Sleeping Dogs (only $17 on sale). With work through the holiday season I've had no times for games, either. Going to start making up for that.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Beat Sleeping Dogs. It had all the drama and difficulty of GTA4, kind of the same style as Saint's Row 3 (but only a fraction of the customization poo poo) and the humor of neither.

I couldn't adjust the refresh rate, even manually adjusting the display config file, so everything in the interface and menus had a slight fuzzy blur until 20 hours in I fixed this by playing in windowed mode. I got into windowed mode because I hit ctrl+alt+del a couple of times because while fighting waves of goons, smashing the shift key, F and mouse buttons would result in Windows thinking I wanted to use sticky keys or change profiles. Sometimes I would be poking out of cover aiming a gun (holding down shift) but when I pressed the left mouse button, nothing would happen. As soon as I let go of shift I could shoot again, and if I hit shift while I was already shooting I could trick the controls into cooperating again.

I can't believe there are multiple achievements for gaining silver rankings but nothing for collecting all the martial arts training statues. The ultimate counter move at the end was worth it, though. Got 45 out of 50 health shrines, more than half the lockboxes and a lot of cameras, only a few drug busts and face missions left. I've barely touched the street racing and fight clubs but the couple I did were pretty easy. I'm going to go for 100%.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I forget the last time I posted, but so far this year I've beaten Anno 2070's campaign and completed Sleeping Dogs, Black Mesa and Far Cry 3. I also mastered Saint's Row the Third, I feel, by doing a second complete run through in co-op and maxing everything out to ridiculous ends, again. My buddies and I can't wait for 4 to drop this summer.

Currently working on XCOM: Enemy Unknown and replaying SimCity 4, ten years later with a much better understanding of how the game works and actually taking the time to learn the shortcuts.

I guess I have BioShock: Infinite but ehhhh.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

I haven't posted an update in a little over a year but I've been keeping my Backloggery page pretty current, even beyond my Steam games. But I'll keep it to Steam titles here.

It's been a fun year.

BEAT
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Pretty addicting for multiple campaigns.
- Borderlands 2 - Got through the main campaign but stalled out on the DLC.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - I can't even remember which one this story was...
- Poker Night at the Inventory - My go-to drunk game until I got its sequel.
- Thomas Was Alone - Great deconstruction of a platformer.
- Trine 2 - Frustrating and not as memorable as the original.
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Funny but OH GOD MY EYES
- Saint's Row IV - Even better than The Third, GOTY.
- Hitman: Absolution - I never thought I would hate a Hitman game this much.
- Resident Evil 5 - To say this game made me uncomfortable would be an understatement.
- Grand Theft Auto IV - I finally beat it and I feel like in the process it beat me.
- Medal of Honor - Somehow it starts as the most realistic modern war shooter and ends with the most over-the-top finale.

COMPLETE
- Thirty Flights of Loving - That was a fun afternoon I guess.
- Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 - I know there's like five more but I think I'm good.
- Fable III - I played it as both a 100% good prince and a totally abhorrent princess and came to realize the moral choices are meaningless and the game is just dumb all the way around.

I also bought a whole ton of poo poo I haven't got around to beating yet.

NEW
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Alan Wake
- Antichamber
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
- Cryostasis
- Darksiders
- Darksiders II
- God Mode
- Metro 2033
- PAYDAY 2
- Poker Night 2
- Receiver
- Shadow Warrior: Classic Redux
- The Showdown Effect
- Surgeon Simulator 2013
- System Shock 2
- The Walking Dead
- Zeno Clash 2
- Red Faction: Armageddon
- Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
- Dead Space
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
- Two Worlds: Epic Edition
- R.I.P.D.: The Game
- Paranautical Activity
- The 7th Guest
- The 11th Hour
- Brütal Legend
- Super Hexagon
- Pinball FX2
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
- The Swapper
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery LP
- Thief
- Resident Evil 6/Biohazard 6
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Insurgency
- Shadowrun Returns
- Stranded

Christ that was scary typing that all out. Some of these were gifts. Most were impulse buys on sales. I think the only game on here I paid full price for was Thief and of course it's the first game to be too new for my old PC to run (even though everything else I can run at full to medium settings no problem). Either was I think this is getting out of hand. I don't even remember getting some of these.

My current game is a master run of Fallout: New Vegas; hardcore mode with all the DLC prior to finishing. I'm at level 34, stuck in the middle of Dead Hearts getting my rear end handed to me by the ghost people.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

ADDED
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Frozen Synapse
Painkiller Hell & Damnation
Rise of the Triad
Papers, Please
Gone Home
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
^^^just today^^^
Gunpoint
Wargame: Red Dragon
Wargame: AirLand Battle
Wargame: European Escalation
BattleBlock Theater
Stranded
Shadowrun Returns

:negative:

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

COMPLETED Fallout: New Vegas - Got the hardcore achievement plowing through all four DLC and then went back for each of the final endings. I ended up getting achievements I thought'd I'd never unlock. I think 185 hours sunk into one title is review enough of its quality. I know there's a couple of side quests left undone, but the Mojave is pretty much exhausted for me.

Managed to not buy anything after Day 1 of the Summer Sale! Already posted what weakness I had.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

BEAT
Batman: Arkham Origins - ŹThe largest Arkham yet is also the weakest. The plot drags on and I was so glad when it suddenly ended. The combat difficulty ramps up in a way that feels like filler.
Gunpoint - It was awesome but I wish there was so much more to it.

NULLED
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights - The finnicky controls, the horrible voice acting, the dumb gambling mechanic - it's like a bad Saint's Row 2 mod. Thanks, THQ Publisher Pack!
Stranded - As a feature, this game has no dialogue or puzzles, you just soak up the atmosphere. After 15 minutes I was done.
Wargame [SERIES] - Got three of these on sale not realizing how unforgivingly realistic they're supposed to be and how spartan the UI is. Maybe C&C: Red Alert 3 was the RTS I'm looking for?

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

BEAT
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - This is the ultimate shooting gallery game that's just long enough to stay fun to the end without ever slowing down. Really funny writing, too.
Painkiller: Hell & Damnation - If this was just an HD remake of the original Painkiller it would have been awesome. Instead they crowbarred in a bunch of really stupid poo poo, liberally reworked the game mechanics and later levels and pretty much ruined what little nostalgia I had left for this series.
PAYDAY 2 - It only took me about 147 hours over the past year, but I finally reached level 100 and graduated to Infamous. Now that it's "beat," I'm already up to level I-75 (after just another 17 hours - apparently there was a major tweak to how fast you level over the summer) and only have a few contracts left to do on Death Wish. Once I get those and advance to Infamy V I'll consider it complete.
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - I really liked this game at first, even the O2 kits and low gravity, but about halfway through it started to sour and the final act was just a chore to slog through, even with a co-op buddy the whole way. We've since re-installed Borderlands 2 since that was a better game and we still need to do the DLC. Back-to-back it's almost painful how much better the older game looks and plays. This is what happens when sequels get farmed out to third-party devs.

NEW
Binary Domain
Contagion
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Somehow I've played MW and MW3 but not this one?
Firefall - This is a really great F2PMMOFPSRPG with incredible detail and production quality. I've sunk 46 hours in, I haven't paid a dime of real money and that hasn't handicapped me at all. Everything you could pay "Red Beans" for is purely cosmetic or quick convenience. You can play as all the classes on one character, leveling up each independently. I've got them all up to level 15 and my engineer up to 20 (out of 40).
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - Pre-ordered the day it became available because I have no shame.
Blade Symphony
Devil May Cry 4
Transistor
Shadow Warrior
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

NULLED
Tabletop Simulator - Nothing to "beat," but the Pokémon TCG mod on Steam Workshop is great for some table-flipping rage.

I guess I should also note that I'm noticing more and more games coming out like Evolve and Far Cry 4 listing DirectX 11 in their minimum system requirements. Which means my GeForce 9800's have pretty much hit the end of the line as far as new AAA games go. My Core 2 Duo and eight-year old motherboard aren't helping, either. A new PC is at least a couple of months down the road if I don't spend a dime on anything else, but I will, so I guess I have more time than ever to chisel this backloggery down.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGxA48HQ1g

NEW
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
The Forest
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Wolf Among Us
Crusader: No Remorse
Dead Space 3
Nam
Damned
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Escape Goat
Goat Simulator
Crypt of the NecroDancer
FEZ
METAL SLUG X
Serious Sam 3: BFE
The Stanley Parable
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Skullgirls

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

NEW
Mercenary Kings
Monaco
Spec Ops: The Line
Besiege
Jazzpunk
Kerbal Space Program

BEAT
South Park: The Stick of Truth - The best TV/film-to-game property I've ever played. I only had two items I couldn't find to call it complete.
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - Kind of a letdown overall, but the cutscenes and gameplay improvements made it worth the $20. I just wish they had gone for a more fully fledged game though.
Besiege - Beat the initial set of levels and eventually uninstalled. Did they ever release more? I loved the aesthetics.
Jazzpunk - That was certainly an experience.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Kerbal Space Program - Already in my top five timesinks of all time on Steam, approaching 100 hours and I still haven't gone past the moons. I'll consider it beat when I get to the game's parallel for Mars. (Then again the game is still in beta so we'll see.)
The Forest - Incredibly competent and polished for an alpha build. To be fair there's still a lot of broken elements and work to be done, but it's still a great co-op experience. Like Minecraft for adults.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just a heads-up, there's a huge, official update (bringing it to 1.0) on Monday. Stuff's going to change. I would have already been getting back into it, but I can't convince myself to do that before the update.

Yeah the new aerodynamics and atmosphere effects,, re-spec'd tech tree and new parts made me decide to start a whole new career.

I've gone from having a couple dozen satellites, a space station and moon base to barely being able to make one orbit, all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

Last posted here in April. Back then I was still using the computer I built for myself in college. I had already been gifted games I couldn't run (and bought at least one myself). Then this summer I invested in a new rig; 6-core i7 v3, at first 16 GBs RAM I just boosted to 32 for the hell of it and an overclocked GeForce 980. So far the only games I haven't been able to completely maxed out are Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty: Black Ops III.

NEW
Call of Duty: World at War
Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Back to Bed
Bionic Commando
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Iron Brigade
The Floor is Jelly
Legend of Grimrock
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
The Darkness II
Ziggurat
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
Arma 2
Dino D-Day
Warface
Grand Theft Auto V
The Talos Principal
Tropico 5
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Far Cry 4
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
Fallout 4

BEAT
Call of Duty: World at War - I don't even remember buying, playing or beating this a few months ago, but apparently I did. Huh.
Grand Theft Auto V - This was the fastest I've ever blazed through a GTA and it's without a doubt my favorite. The online mode was okay but once I completed the story I was pretty much done, although nowhere near 100%.
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES - I got this for getting The Phantom Pain, which I got compliments my new graphics card. I had never played a Metal Gear before, but boy howdy did I underestimate what I was in for.
Far Cry 4 - Best Far Cry yet! Pagan Min deserves all the hype he gets as one of gaming's best bad guys.

COMPLETED
PAYDAY 2 - I have 367 hours in this game and counting. I've been playing since the beginning, when the grind would last roughly 100 hours just to hit the first infamy level, and that's about how long it took me, too. I called this game beat a year ago when that finally happened (I was very off and on early on). Since then I've broken the original infamy tree, which capped at V, and that's where I called it complete. As for the recent microtransaction controversy, all I'll say is that I've paid for drills, no regrets. Overkill can keep taking my money if they keep supporting this title because it's worth it.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Fallout 4 - I've been waiting for a wicked open world game set in and around Boston my whole freakin life! Go Pats!
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN - I've maxed out my relationships with a dog and a horse, now for a real challenge...
Tropico 5 - Reached the Cold War and suddenly overall happiness and approval rating are two different things.
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - It's like Batman meets Metal Gear in Middle-earth!
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Made it to the resistance hideout and met Jimmy Hendrix.
The Talos Principal - I've just about cleared Hall A and I'm starting to tick off the computer system.
Thief - I paid full price for pre-order and then had to wait 18 months for a new computer, so I'm playing this garbage through.