Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Spikeness posted:

Upgrading my machine soon, So I can finally play all the steam games I've bought on sale over the past few years.

Playing in alphabetical order seems like a great ide- 3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures Deluxe? :negative:

Screw it I'll play fallout 3. (I've heard the minigolf is fun though)

Steam says i have 274 games :smithicide:

Did you get it when it was 10 cents on the Aussie store? I know I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Hi I have 78 games and I do not know which game to devote to playing fully right now. Can you guys help?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/iinteermiisiion

At least you've played most of your games. If you have a gamepad I'd recommend Bully. It's a really fun game.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
As Mr Right said, Dawn of War 2 is pretty easy to get used to. It's not really an RTS as you just have to manage four squads all together.

In my Steam backlog news I finished a few games this weekend. I blew through Puzzle Agent and it was pretty tops. The story was well done and I loved the art style. It's unashamedly Professor Layton and I didn't like the noncommittal ending but it was still good.

I also finished the campaign for Zombie Driver and did some of the Races and Slaughter medals. It was also pretty well done but hideously repetitive.

EDIT: Tecman, I'd recommend Just Cause 2. It's awesome fun. It's a pretty long game so maybe Darksiders just before that (how far away are you from the end?) I really enjoyed it although the fetch quest later on was a bit lame.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

strategery posted:

EDIT: DIRT 2 is on D2D for $5 for today. Worth it? I would play with a 360 controller.

Hopefully this isn't too late but it's a great game. It get's a little repetitive later on due to lack of tracks and the Extreme! attitude is a little grating but definitely worth the $5.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Cable posted:

Darksiders
Tomb Raider: Legend/Anniversary
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
PoP 2008/9/whenever it came out
Mirror's Edge
PW Winterbottom
Dead Space (is it playable with a pad?)

The only criterion apart from allowing controllers, is it not being prone to making me get stuck, cause that's something we all hate.

If you wanted something quick I'd recommend PB Winterbottom is a fun few hours.Darksiders is also awesome but I wouldn't recommend playing on the hardest difficulty because you'll die a lot and it's no fun at all.

In my backlog news, I seem to be actually finishing games now that I have a full time job and have less time. No idea how that works. I finished The Ball during the week and that was actually a lot of fun. The concept itself and the way the puzzles worked were all really interesting and engaging. The combat, especially early on, not so much. All it really amounts to is pushing the Ball into mummies. The pacing is a little off, too, as you get some cool abilities for your Ball in the last hour or so and then the game ends. Like they introduce covering your ball in oil and then lighting it on fire and then use it for one combat situation and one puzzle in the last area of the game. Or your ball conducts lightning. Again, it's only used in the last level of the game. Anyway, a fun 5 hour or so romp.

Finished of Kane and Lynch 2 last night and, man. I'm glad it was only 4 hours long because what a piece of poo poo game that was. Absolutely no redeeming qualities aside from the aesthetic which, even then, wore on you after a few hours.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
My video card keeps overheating :( I managed to finish Kane and Lynch 2 on Friday but haven't been able to play anything else this weekend :(

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

ohnoitschris posted:

How much do you even have to play a game to say you've gotten your money's worth? A lot of my games were less than $3, and I spend way more than that on a single trip to the arcade. I post this because there's no way in hell I'm going to dedicate hours and hours to a game just because it managed to slip in with some bundle or it turned out to be crap. :v:

As for these dollar indie games, if I play 'em once for about 20 minutes, I think I've played it enough to constitute not having wasted the cash. How about you guys?

Yeah, I've got quite a few fairly crap indie games from the $5 Christmas bundles. I have a "Money's Worth" category and if a $1 game I bought doesn't grab me after the first hour or so there's not much point in me finishing it. I chuck anything I've played a fair bit but don't intend on finishing in there too. I'd rather play something I want to finish than slog through something I hate.

Thewittyname posted:

http://randomsteamgame.com/ For when you can't decide what game to play next.

Oh awes-

:(

SmokinDan fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2011

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Sporkles posted:

I've been doing well since my last post, finished about 7? 8 games? Tomb Raider: GoL, Time Gentlemen Please, both Mafias, Ghostbusters, and Overlord 2. Oh, and Lego Batman. I enjoyed all of them, though a couple got kind of tedious at times (Overlord and Mafia, I'm looking at you).

In my mission to get rid of games I already have on my hard drive before installing new ones, my current top choices are The Witcher, Alpha Protocol, Divinity 2:DKS, and Metro 2033.

I've started all of those games at least once, but barely played any of them, with the exception of The Witcher. I've started it twice and randomly stopped both times - I have a save somewhere in late Ch. 2, I believe, that I haven't played since September. So I don't know if I should start over or not, seems like kind of a slog. Maybe I'll just do it and put the difficulty on easy mode for babies so I can zip through it.

Any particular recommendations?

Divinity 2 is awesome fun but it's a fair slog to get through at the start. The first area is pretty hard until you've levelled up a few skills and gotten some better weapons. Remember to mindread everyone.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

ChrisAsmadi posted:

http://i.imgur.com/DhD2T.png

I am at a loss as to what to play next, beyond the fact that I am too bored of F.E.A.R. to play Perseus Mandate at the moment and that I need to play The Witcher before the sequel comes out.

Suggestions for a short game to play through as a break before tackling the Witcher?

Sam & Max Season 3 is awesome and each episode is only a few hours long. I'm guessing you've played Season 2?

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Use a 360 controller if you can, that feels much better than a keyboard.

That said, the keyboard controls aren't awful just not something you're used to after a lot of point and clicking.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
My groups are favourites for games I'm currently playing or want to try and finish, "Completed" for games I've finished, "Money's Worth" for things I've bought cheap and played through enough to consider it worth my while, "Multiplayer" for games like TF2 where you can't really finish them and "Started" for games I've yet to finish but would like to. Oh, and "Never Finishing" which contains about 20 games that are poo poo and I likely won't touch.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
My address below, guys. I've yet to add about 6 months of Steam and other purchases but I'll get around to it.

http://backloggery.com/smokindan

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
You can "Add to Multitap" just under their profile name.

The site is slow as hell or timing out at them moment, though.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Working on getting all my Steam stuff, at the moment. Thanks for adding me to your multitaps.

My standard for Completed is beaten on hard or stuff like that or 75% of the achievements. To be honest, I'd rather just have one or the other.

Oh, and in backlog news I bought Hamilton's Great Adventure and am slowly going through DiRT 3. Finished The Witcher 2 and Bulletstorm at least.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Jamestown is basically the best purchase i've made this sale, im not good at shmups but this one has a decent learning curve and everything is well crafted, i just wish the other 3 ships were as good as the starting one (the only i would use is gunner for its directional fire).

I like Charge because it's secondary fire owns. Primary not so much but you get used to it.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of Alpha Protocol, I'm really enjoying my first playthrough.

I went in expecting crap gameplay but it's not that bad at all. No worse than Deus Ex combat. As per what most people said, I'm well on my way to maxing Stealth and Pistols and it's been pretty easy so far.

I'm tempted to do an rear end in a top hat Thorton but I'll stick to the "Professional" path for now. I love all the different perks you get for doing different things.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm thinking of doing a platformer and a puzzle game to take a break from doing RPGs. Should I do ARES, Blade Kitten or NyxQuest, and Puzzle Dimension, Tidalis or Yosumin?

Puzzle Dimension is fantastic. Should take you about 15 hours to do, though, depending on how good you are at spatial puzzlers. Took me about another 10 to unpixelate everything. Still got one achievement to get :(

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I'm with most people here. I a game has no achievements etc. then it's Completed once it's finished. 75% or more of achievements and also beating the game is also Completed. Not doing as badly as some people in here.

Finished A.R.E.S, although it was quite short, and meant to be replayed. Also knocked out Alpha Protocol and the last few New Vegas DLCs.

Been playing far too much TF2 :(

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
There are too many games coming out :(

I'm a little bit through Bastion which is awesome so far but that'll probably be put on hold until I get through Human Revolution.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Athenry posted:

I'm like 20% into the story mode and its already getting beyond my feeble abilities. I like the game I just wish it was a little more straight forward with the tasks. I guess they're supposed to make you a better player, but I get half of them with blind luck. At least its still fun.

You can skip the levels, which is mostly what I ended up doing. I still managed to get about 15 hours out of it and the mechanics are really solid.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I'm getting to the point where there's a lot of poo poo in backlog. Feels good to Null those babies.

I'll try something two or three times and if it's not doing anything for me in it goes.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Does Just Cause 2 really have a story though? Like I'm tempted to null it because the story is terrible.

Pirates! and Civ IV don't really have stories do they? In the sense that you 'beat' them.

As Tetsuo said, do not worry about story at all in Just Cause 2. Just play it to have fun and destroy poo poo.

Make sure to go to justcause2mods.com or, if you don't want to trawl around on there, just get this Black Market mod which makes everything available on the black market, gets rid of the black market cutscene and makes everything upgradable. Also, if you have the para-thruster DLC (which you should - it's the only thing that got me to 75% completion) then get this mod which gives you unlimited thrusters.

If you get frustrated there are also plenty of unlimited ammo/ reduction of threat levels mods. Probably best to play on Normal your first playthrough, as well.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which would be better for beating over a month long break: Divinity II: DKS, Two Worlds II or Risen?

Having only played DKS I'd recommend it. A really awesome RPG. Some tips/ things to know: mindread everyone, the start of the game is pretty hard - just kite enemies with the bow and then finish them off and the dragon parts are a little tedious.

Overall, definitely worth playing.

SmokinDan fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Just beat Faerie Solitaire and, uh, how the gently caress do you make a 12 hour solitaire game and HAVE IT END ON A loving CLIFFHANGER??

I shouldn't give a poo poo. I've been playing it for months during downtime at work but hoooly gently caress how do you make a solitaire game that's that loving long and have the ending be you character being sucked into a book called FAERIE SOLITAIRE 2.

:wtc:

I feel like I just got trolled hard.

I think I bought this when it was a dollar or something. Worth it even for the ending.

I just laughed like hell when that ending cutscene happened.