Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I'm currently playing through Rainbox Six Vegas 2 for the first time and Mass Effect 2 (which is my first time playing it on the PC... already beat it on the 360)

RSV2 is frustratingly difficult at times. Shame that the competitive multiplayer is practically dead aside from Terrorist hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Found 210 Games with a value of
$3070.91 USD

When I get really bored, I'll add up the actual amount that I paid for all of that.

I've actually have been playing through quite a bit and have slowed down my purchases (well, my current financial situation helps with that). I've been using backloggery.com to keep track of my backlog, and that motivates me pretty well.

Edit:
I added up my actual total that I paid, and it comes out to $1316.91. That price doesn't include all the steamworks games I purchased retail (although, I did add the price if I remembered it).

It pains me to go through my purchased games list of games that I purchased at full price or preordered, and then it turns out I never liked the game enough to play them.

Some examples:
Source Multiplayer Pack $29.95 (Bought it because Garry's mod needed it. Never really cared much to play CS:S or DOD:S)
Shattered Horizon (preorder) $17.99 (Loved the concept, turned out that it played like poo poo on my PC at the time. I can play it decently now, but MP is pretty dead. From the little I did play though, it wasn't that impressive)
Company of Heroes Gold + Tales of Valor $29.98 (Great game from the little I've played with it. But I have such a short attention span with RTS games for some reason)
Killing Floor $14.99 (One of my biggest disappointments. I was excited for it and preordered it. But, the game turned out to be a monotonous repetitive game that was simply not for me)
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West $13.49 (Another game I excitedly preordered. The launch of the game was abysmal with the lack of dedicated servers. Tried to really like this game, but it simply wasn't fun.

It's really interesting to look through my steam purchase history. Makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking when I purchased some of those games. I'm an addict as well.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 6, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Using random.org, I picked out 3 titles from my game list after I beat Mass Effect 2 (for the second time) and Rainbow Six Vegas 2:

Rome: Total War
Oddworld Abe's Exodus
World in Conflict

http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatpat268

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 6, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Mr Right posted:

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/mrright

Found 334 Games with a value of
$4455.17 USD

Random.org gave me 238; S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
I was tempted to play it but it's actually one of the few games I have completed. Fantastic game though.

Random.org gave me 53; Dead Space
Re-rolling because it's a game I'll definitely play without having an RNG influencing me and because it's not something that'll download for tonight.

Random.org gave me 255; Shattered Union
Ok I'll play it. And I'll give a trip report. :smithicide:

e: and I'll roll for my next game too and start downloading it once Shattered Union has downloaded.
Random.org gave me 149; Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Looking forward to this. I loved the Playstation Tomb Raiders.

Shattered Union won't work if you have Vista or Win 7.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Industrial posted:

Why do you people make categories for lovely games? Why not just uninstall them?

So that you can effectively make the titles disappear by minimizing the category. I did that for the mac versions of Civ IV so they don't clutter my list.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Finally beat Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Fun game and all, but goddamn it's frustrating at times. I died so many times because I had an enemy spawn behind me as I was moving forward.

I might do a little co-op next, but my primary focus will be on Mass Effect 2 and Oddworld Abes Exodus (which I pulled from the random number generator).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Zedd posted:

You can't get 100% because a few items/objects don't register; You get stuck on something like 99.96% or so.

Also you can easily 100% sandbox games and still get rewards, it just depends on the system behind it. JC2 doesn't reward you any more but games like GTA:SA gave rewards for everything so you did it for more then numbers.

That's pretty lame. I got to ~55% in JC2 after I realized that the signal indicator in the top left actually pointed me to crates. I might push to 75% for the achievement, but I'll likely call it quits after that.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

The next one shall be... Mass Effect. Well, this one is gonna take a fair bit longer, but I guess that would have been true no matter which game I rolled up. Ah well! Forward, into space!

I don't think you'll regret playing Mass Effect. I didn't like it at first, but it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time.

The game starts off a bit slow, but it picks up once the games allows you to travel around the galaxy.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I decided to completely ignore my random pick (for the moment) and play Hitman Blood Money instead after seeing it's general praise.

I gotta say, the game is pretty drat hard and unforgiving at times. I'm up to the mental hospital level (e: rehab clinic actually) and it's been a struggle every bit of the way. Yet it's still very fun as you try to figure out the best way to accomplish the level.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 21, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Mr Right posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is down. It took me 5 hours to complete but I didn't attempt many of the challenges so going for them there would be about another 10 hours involved as well as another 5 hour playthrough with Kane and Lynch as well as whatever other DLC packs there are.

The game isn't one I'll forget, it's a shame I'll remember it for the wrong reasons. The controls are horrible, on the same level as flying in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas with the mouse and keyboard. You won't understand how bad they are until you play through it.

Yea, I tried using mouse and keyboard for GoL, but I ended up reverting to my 360 controller. The controls aren't TOO bad for most instances, but there's some challenges that are near impossible without a controller.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Vizrt posted:

I tend to do this also. When I'm towards the end of the game and it's starting to feel tedious I'll use cheat codes to power through. I'd rather complete the game and story than add it onto the pile of unfinished games I guess.

I was working my way through Hitman Codename 47. I've given up on it though. I've spent way too much time on one of the missions, and even with the use of some cheat codes I'm not able to complete it. My intentions were to play through all three of the games that I picked up during the holiday sales, but I'm burned out on the Hitman series now. When I go back to it I just hope that Silent Assassin is more my style and has better controls.

Have you played Blood Money yet? That game is simply superb. It reminds me a bit of the trial and error gameplay I had to do in the Splinter Cell series, but more varied.

On a side note... I relapsed and bought Fallout NV Dead Money and C&C RA3. :\

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
So I finished Hitman Blood Money. Awesome ending, imo.

I don't know what's next. Perhaps I'll blow through ME2 (having a hard time maintaining interest... second playthrough) or perhaps play some more Fallout NV Dead Money. I'm not really liking Dead Money so far though.

E: Decided to take on Sin Episodes: Emergence. Too bad it's only episode 1 and only episode, but god that game is horrifically mediocre. It's completely linear and there's zero sense of exploration. I was glad the game was over. Took less than 3 hours to beat.

Edit #2: I tried playing the Oddworld games, but they don't play nice with my controller and I really don't feel like playing that game with a keyboard. I may emulate on a PS1 emulator instead. In the meantime, I've been making some progress on my backlog and I recently tackled Jolly Rover... which is a pirate-themed adventure game. Not nearly as good as the Monkey Island series, but it has its charm.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 27, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

fingerling posted:

Wow. $800 with 41 games. How will I ever cope!? I really should restrain myself - I buy so many games when they've just been released or are still new. Gahh. Rolled with RANDOM. Got Portal. gently caress.
e: And I'm still looking to buy more games in the future :bang:

It's amazing how many people roll Portal. But at any rate, it's a pretty short game and you should finish it 2-4 hours (some blow through the game quickly, others get stuck near the end for a little while).

But yea, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been hammering away at my backlog, but for some weird reason I decided to buy:

Fate of the World
Homefront
+Metro 2033

And that won't include the games I plan on buying in the near future: Shift 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Portal 2, etc.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I beat Homefront. What a poo poo game. Meh.

I'm still angry I preordered the game and have no recourse in trading it in. It's unlikely I'll ever play it again because the MP is terrible too for many reasons.

At least I got Metro 2033 out of it, and a TF2 item (not that I play TF2...).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Can you please explain your experiences with Homefront please?

Short campaign (less than 4 hours), full of scripted crap... sometimes your next objective won't start until you're standing in the exact spot. Full of following a leader, COD style (which is ok I guess, I'm just getting tired of the concept). Your teammate AI is braindead stupid, and more often than not you're jockeying for cover. They rarely help you and are nothing more than a waste of space. Enemy AI loves to hide in corners of houses (campers!), which wouldn't be a problem if you could shoot through cover (you can't). SP is awfully short, and they take a decent concept, enemy occupation of america, and do literally nothing with it. It's a hodgepodge of objectives only loosely tied together.

As far as the multiplayer... well it's ok. It's kind of a love or hate thing. I hate it because most games degenerate into a sniper campfest. Every gun is essentially a laser gun, and all the weapons are hitscan (if you snipe somebody across the map, all you have to do click their head and they're dead... no bullet travel or drop to worry about). Every gun is deadly accurate with little recoil. Maps are a mess, and Homefront's main MP mode, Ground Control, is a loving mess.

Ground control is loosely based on a combination of BF's conquest and rush mode. Hold a majority of points (conquest style), and eventually the map will shift to a new set of points (rush style). Which is ok, but it'll only ever happen twice in a match, and it's not that interesting.

For all that, the MP has some interesting ideas. You don't have to be the best player to get all the cool toys. You can save up your Battle Points that you accumulate for doing certain things (capturing objectives, spotting, assists, kills, etc) and redeem them for air strikes, helicopters, tanks, etc. It's a nice mechanic that's surprisingly balanced well, as I haven't seen a match where there's too many vehicles yet. The downside though, is that if you're not a great player, the match will likely be over or near over by the time you have enough points for anything.

It's not a completely bad game by any stretch, it's just not at all worth the $50. At $20, it would've been completely worth it.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Substandard posted:

So instead I played all the way through Dragon Age 2 on the PS3 (which shares a similar level design philosophy, but I liked a bit better), played through most of Duke Nukem 3d (GoG) and remembered when FPS games were way more fun, and I bought RIFT, which I've been playing a lot of.

So I've decided to switch off of BF:BC2 and select a new non-mmo game with which to occupy my time. my random roll was #38, which is GTA:IV. I've beaten this on the 360, but I never played the episodes, so I'll try to get through those on the PC.

More people need to seriously play Duke Nukem 3D. There's a growing segment of people who see nothing wrong with the "COD-ification" of FPS games, and they've forgotten what a truly fun FPS is. That said, Duke Nukem 3D has surprisingly aged pretty well, and is still a ton of fun. I'd image the new Duke Nukem will stick to a similar formula.

On a side note, if you like vanilla GTA4, you'll probably like the episodes just as much if not more. Ballad of Gay Tony is the best iteration of GTA4 there is, and puts the "fun" back into GTA. My only gripe was that I wish it were longer.

Yodzilla posted:

Bad Company 2's single player is really bad and misses out on any of the fun and humor that the first one had. Thankfully its multiplayer is way too loving fun.

The SP on BC1 felt more open as well, you weren't shuttled down a corridor quite as obviously as you were in BC2.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I disagree. Old FPS had a lot of key hunting and dead ends that I don't find fun to navigate. It's also a little high and mighty to tell me I don't know how to have fun.

That's fine, and I'm not attacking what you find fun. We all have opinions, and I expressed mine. I've lost a lot of interest in some recent FPS games because they boil down following a tight corridor in a shooting gallery. Of course I still find them sort of fun, but I do wish more shooters would gravitate to the old style.

And that's not nostalgia speaking, I had a stellar experience with D3D and found myself seeking out other old school FPS games.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I finished Mirror's Edge. Eh, mediocre game. Absolutely gorgeous graphics, but it's a bit overexposed in some outside locations.

I was happy to finally finish the (short) game. It's sort of fun, but all the dudes shooting at you get mighty annoying. The story was pretty forgettable as well.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Finished Red Faction Guerilla. Mediocre game to its core. The ONLY thing memorable about that game was the building destruction, and that's it.

The game was really sluggish at times, and at others it was smooth as hell. Another game off my list.

Edit:

Just finished Super Meat Boy (Light World) as well. I'll probably leave the dark world and cotton alley alone for now, as my hands are killing me.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 5, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

Finished Monkey Island 2: Special Edition. Wow. Such a bad game. Even with the Special Edition there's only so much you can do to save the design. The puzzle chains are long, require absolutely epic amounts of backtracking, and are almost totally unclued - the guiding principle is "if you can be a dick to someone, do so, and once you've done enough of this the puzzle solutions will fall into place for you", for the most part. And then a couple of research puzzles that were actually pretty good. The Special Edition adds a director's commentary mode that has Gilbert and Schaefer and, uh, the other guy MST3King their own game. That's pretty much the only reason this was at all enjoyable.

What? No! :)

Heh, my first playthrough of Monkey Island 2 was actually what got me hooked on adventure games. I actually played through it 3 times, just so I could get a speed run under 3 hours, and another so I could record it for youtube. LOL. It's been a couple of months since I've played it, and I don't remember any puzzle really requiring a lot of backtracking. Most of the puzzles were self contained on the island you were on (unless my memory is sketchy). There certainly were some obtuse solutions (everyone who has played MI2, probably knows what I'm talking about).

Although, you bring up a good point of the commentary. I meant to do a playthrough with the commentary, but I got burnt out when I did 3 playthroughs in a row, perhaps it's time to go back to it.

Anyway, I've been playing through Mini Ninjas lately. It's actually pretty fun. It reminds me a lot of the action/adventure games from the PS1 era (like the Spyros and others). It's definitely kids oriented and easy, but it's not bad. I didn't even know I had it actually, apparently I got it from the Eidos pack I bought at one point.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Lurchibles posted:

Did you play the game originally or did you jump on the Special Edition bandwagon? Personally I'm a special edition person and this is a really solid adventure game, shame I was so young when it came out!

I jumped on the special edition wagon myself. I didn't care much for the Monkey Island 1 though, because I felt there was even more backtracking in that game. It was still good, but I felt that Monkey Island 2 was much better.

But yea, I never played the original. I was quite young at the time too, and my family was a console family. I didn't get into PC gaming until ~2005.

E: A screenshot from mini ninjas. Graphics are simple, but it can look nice at times:

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 13, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

SixOhSix posted:

Started Red Faction: Guerrilla, then after 8 hours, dropped it with no desire to finish. Running around being Space rear end in a top hat is fun for a while, but the missions are a pain in the rear end,the game is buggy as hell, and even though it boasts and auto-save, I lost 20 minutes of progress somehow after its third CTD today which is completely unacceptable. The best part is to even start, I had to read the Steam forums to discover that it has to be forced to DX9 mode to even work for a lot of people (including me). Oh yea, and infinitely spawning enemies always pisses me off to no end.
In turn, I started Devil May Cry 4, and talk about a drastic difference. Much more personality, far more interesting graphics, and a blast to play.

That said, I'm not getting anywhere because even with my increased progress, I'm still not improving because of Steam's ridiculousness this past week I'm getting games just as fast as I go through them.

I hear ya. RFG is one of those games that are fun to play around for a few hours, but really stale after a while. The gameplay is extremely thin propped up by being able to destroy buildings and bridges. There were various times I nearly quit playing, but I decided to keep going. And let me tell you: you're not missing anything. Overall, it took me 16 hours to beat (I stuck it on easy and plowed through).

I'm going to try and truck through Assassin's Creed 1 because I want to play the others since they're supposedly much improved... although, I somehow doubt that. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, especially with Portal 2 coming soon.

Migishu posted:

I've updated the second page. I'm sorry if I skipped anyone. I'm also going to look for a semi-decent replacement for the Backloggery since signups are still down. There is RaptR, but I'm not sure of the whole social engineering feeling behind it.

Raptr is nothing special... and really only tracks what you're currently playing. It's no better than looking at a steam profile and looking at the counted hours. The only difference, mainly, is that they count your 360 playtime as well (but not PS3).

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Hemish posted:

I don't really want to track stuff manually so I'm very interested in Backloggery but registration are still closing and as two days ago, shouldn't come back for weeks. Seeing how everything else is slow, I'm afraid we will never see new registrations!

I think they'll open up registrations soon. They just recently redesigned the site and new registrations should be enabled soon.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Lurchibles posted:

People just don't get how addictive this game can be. I gifted a copy to my girlfriend when it was in the Christmas sale and she spend over 7 hours on it on the first evening alone. Fantastic game.

Meh, call me crazy, but I put maybe 4-5 hours into PvZ, and that's all I'll put into it. I mean, it's ok and I don't hate TD games, but I just never got sucked into PvZ.

Anyway, just beat crysis, and working on crysis warhead. Crysis was great until the aliens. Also, there must be a huge memory leak in both crysis and crysis warhead because my fps drops from ~65 to 20 after playing for about 2 hours.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I added most everybody here, but feel free to add me to your lists:
http://www.backloggery.com/plc268

Mr Right posted:

I'm so not changing it to Steam and GOG. They're all PC so they can stay in the PC category.

Same here. It's always kind of weird when I see people do that. They're all PC games to me, and I don't see why the distinction is important.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 4, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Playing through Alpha Protocol, and it seems like I'm near the end.

But drat this game is good. I rented it on the 360 when it first came out, and I was pretty disappointed, and I never really gave it a chance. I was always frustrated that my shots weren't hitting their target. Anyway, I maxed out Stealth and Pistol, and the game is laughably easy (in a good way) with Shadow Operative and Chain Shot.

I love all the story hooks and decisions you have to make. A breath of fresh air from Mass Effect where everything is based on a moral system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Do a replay after as a completely different type of personality and enjoy. AP falls into the class of games you need two runs to really complete (see: Nier and V:TM Bloodlines with a Malkavian run).

ToxicFrog posted:

Fixed a typo for you. :) I'd say you have to at least see the three main archetypes (one of them as Veteran), and even once you do that there's still lots of stuff to uncover - I've beaten it three times and I figure it's got at least two more playthroughs in it, with specific endings I want to see if I can arrange.

Yea, I need to do an rear end in a top hat Thorton playthrough. :D