Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Out of 148 games, I've beaten around twenty. My in box is pathetically full, but atl east I've played most of my games at least once. I feel like I'm pretty clever with my category names.

In box for what I'm working on now.
Out box for games I've beaten.
Sandbox for games you can't really "beat" like TF2.
Catbox is for lovely poo poo like some of the Xcom games and Counterstrike Condition Zero- Deleted Scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
So, a week ago I was in "I have to play everything I own, to get my money's worth!"-mode. I was playing through stuff I sort of enjoyed, like World of Goo, and stuff I was barely enjoying at all, like GTA IV. Then, something snapped. I went on a rampage and purged my hard drive of around 200+ gigs of games. Now I'm playing through only the stuff I want to. This goes for all of my PC games, not just Steam.

Right now I'm playing the following games:
Divinity II - TDKS
The Witcher
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Arcanum
Two Worlds
Drakensang

So yeah, a ton of RPGs. But! I'm having fun with all of them, so far, and I think the diversity (though they're all the same genre) helps. After I get through these, I'll probably go on an RTS campaigns binge. I have DoW2 to do, as well as the Company of Heroes series, maybe Empire Earth and the expansion, Ground Control + Expansion, SpellForce Platinum, and the Tropico 3 expansion.

I actually like the idea of going through my catalog genre by genre.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Huge post incoming! Games I've sent to the Outbox category recently:

The Adventures of Shuggy
I beat all 100 rooms and some were definitely more entertaining than others. The whole game is basically an indie platformer concept recycling bin, as each room has its own gimmick. Still, I like platformers so I got my money's worth (I got it free from IGN).

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars
Whao. This game's campaign is really, really good. The game itself is basically Rogue Squadron set in World War 2, with satisfying dogfights, unlockable planes (including a stealth bomber!), and flashbacks to WW1. The story and characters are excellent with a total grey area choice to make that decides your ending. Surprisingly poignant and sweet. Way out of left field and considering I got this for free (thanks, The Noodle Incident!) I got nine solid hours out of it. Multiplayer is dead though - Not too shocking.

Assassin's Creed
I got so frustrated from having stopped and started this game so many times that I binged through it in about twelve hours, give or take a couple hours when I took a nap. Super repetitive and annoying, but I hear 2 and Brotherhood are pretty great - excited for those.

Bad Rats
gently caress you king me, etc...

Breath of Death VII
Holy poo poo this was boring. Completely generic RPG Maker game with humor that's really hit or miss. It only took two hours, but it wore out its welcome long before then. I heard the developers other games are much better though, so I'll play those at some point.

HOARD
A surprisingly fun Smaug simulator. I played a dozen or so single player rounds, as well as a few multi player rounds with an e-friend, and called it done. The basic premise is good, but it just didn't have very long legs.

Max Payne
Wow, this game did NOT age well. The platforming sections are still truly awful, and the game basically consists of enter a room, bullet dodge, die if you get shot more than a few times, reload, repeat. I played with the Kung-Fu mod, having done a vanilla run of the game when it was released, and had access to all the cool flips, but the actual melee was beyond useless - it took about a dozen punches to kill anything. Oh, and the sound never quite worked consistently so all the comic book cut scenes and most of the in-game dialog was silent...

Portal 2
Every time the game started to wear out its welcome, it introduced new mechanics, new story, or a thrilling sequence and got me all excited again. Truly wonderful, hilarious writing. I loved JK Simmons as Cave Johnson in this game, and it actually had me sympathizing with GLaDOS. I thought the ending boss battle and beyond were amazing. Valve just went balls out on this release (as they usually do).

Rome: Total War + Alexander
This is the first TW game I really got into, so I'm glad I finally beat the campaigns. I didn't get too far into Alexander beyond messing around with some of the historical battles, but I got bored and installed the Middle-earth mod. I got a few more hours out of it before I felt satisfied. I probably paid $5 for this game and I definitely got some thrilling battles out of it.

Shank
A fun brawler with some janky mechanics and a great art style. It only took one marathon session of three hours, and I'm glad it was over, even though I enjoyed a majority of it.

Spec-Ops: The Line
I played this game in one, long session and it wore me out by the end. It's a shame the shooting was so mediocre because the story and the setting were fantastic. I'm glad word of mouth spread about the experience as a whole, because yes - it definitely looks and plays like a generic military shooter, but the pay off is sweet as hell. It had some good set pieces too, but honestly I thought Mass Effect 3 had better shooting.

Wizorb
I saw a lot of praise for this little Arkanoid clone, but I could only handle it for a few hours before it started to piss me off. It's not that I was bad at the game even, it just has some really annoying level design that isn't hard, but it wears you down because it just takes forever to clear a level. Glad I probably got this in a bundle or something and didn't pay much for it.

Zombie Driver HD
I'm not gonna lie, I thought the racing mode was a blast and totally made up for the lackluster campaign.

So yeah, I've been doing some loving WORK in the past several weeks, but considering I own over 400 Steam games, it's but a pittance. I really wish more people would play Air Conflicts: Secret Wars as I really ended up enjoying it, but I feel like a majority skipped over it thinking it was poo poo. I've decided that for every game on my list I end up not enjoying enough to complete, I'm only going to give them 2 hours. HOARD is one example, where I just couldn't see myself playing beyond that. Even if a game is poo poo, I will still give it a couple hours, just to get my money's worth. I'll probably be grey by the time I clear out just my inbox! After that I've got my Sandbox, my Catbox... I'm going to start Bioshock 2 soon, and I'm already into Mass Effect 1, Company of Heroes, Sine Mora, and The Walking Dead. Enjoying those, even though ME1 is a replay (WHY did I rebuy it on Steam?!).

I actually managed to acquire EIGHT more games during the winter sale, some of which came from Amazon, and while I feel bad about it, it's mostly games from this year that I missed and still really want to play, like Binary Domain, Darksiders 2, NBA2k13, and Max Payne 3. I'll get to them eventually. :downs:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Got through a handful of games in the last few weeks! Making good progress on my backlog.

Bioshock 2
I actually enjoyed this a lot. The shooting could've been tighter, but the combat was fun. Lots of preparing defenses and hacking security bots, which I enjoyed. The story was, I thought, pretty good and the ending was sort of sweet. I liked the characters, however briefly they appeared. The atmosphere was great, like the first game.

Deus Ex
This was a replay, but I played it with Shifter, Biomod, and the hi-res texture pack. It's been a few years since I've played it but man, what an amazing game. It still stands as my favorite game ever. Really hope it gets an HD makeover one day, maybe in the Unreal 4 engine.

Hell Yeah!
I didn't complete this one, but I gave it my standard of at least 2 hours and it just didn't grab me. The art and the humor reminded me of Earthworm Jim, but unfortunately so did the gameplay.

Mass Effect
Another replay, this time just to clear it off my Steam list. I rushed through a lot and didn't save Wrex, so I'm basically a monster. But I just had to buy it again on Steam so I thought I deserved another play through.

Rochard
I put in my two hours and I've heard such good things about it but it really wasn't for me. I'm sure I don't have much to go, but if I'm not having any fun I'm not going to bother.

Saint's Row: The Third
This game was a loving blast. There were some technical issues, like slow down and some jankiness with the combat, but overall it was a very fun, funny game with good characters. So many moments where I just could not believe what I was playing. I didn't 100% it but I honestly never do that, especially with open world titles. It was a great ride, but not that great. Excited for SR4.

That's it for this post - I brought my total number of games that need to be beaten down to a whopping 293 (on Steam only... doesn't include the 88 games I own on GOG and the dozen or so I own on Origin... but I'll get to those eventually!). I've got a list 37 that I must play RIGHT NOW prioritized out. Should be a blast!

The Machine fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 28, 2013

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I made a google spread sheet of all of the games I haven't completed yet and highlighted the ones I want to play RIGHT NOW and I just started playing through them. I'll get to the stuff I don't feel like playing later on. With games I don't enjoy, I play them a minimum of 2 hours and move on.