Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Bad Company 2's single player is really bad and misses out on any of the fun and humor that the first one had. Thankfully its multiplayer is way too loving fun.

To contribute, I finally started playing some of the Steam games that I've been buying as well. Bullet Candy is pretty lovely, Risen is interesting but frustratingly hard (why is everything so goddamn stiff and clunky?) and The Wither is really goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:w00t: finally beat VVVVVV! Now to find those last three trinkets and maybe play some time trials and intermissions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ChrisAsmadi posted:

If one of those trinkets is Vini Vidi Vici then you're gonna be at it a while.

I actually snagged that one! Yeah that was by far the hardest part of the game and took me over 100 deaths to get it. The missing trinkets are...somewhere. I think there might be parts of the map I haven't visited yet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It suggested that I play Necrovision which is nice because I completely forgot that I bought it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
From what I heard they had originally planned on using the Unreal engine but someone internally convinced them that they could do better making and using their own engine. Well it turns out he was full of poo poo and was shitcanned after churning out a garbage product leaving the rest of the development team to try and make the best of it with not a whole lot of time to work with. That and having to get it working on the OG Xbox.

But besides the horrendous optimization problems (the game still doesn't run smooth on some modern machines) the absolute worst thing about the game is that characters' eyes are just painted onto their faces, something that games had risen above like five years prior. Everyone just looks goddamn bad.

Thankfully they managed to get their poo poo working a hell of a lot better for Thief 3.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The Backloggery has got to be one of the strangest website ideas I've seen. Why would people be concerned about Stealth Adding things?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Machinarium. That sure was neat looking and a bit infuriating.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You can just play the latter ones. Remeber that Sam loves his daughter and terrorists are bad and you're pretty much caught up on the plot.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
BS1 is way, way harder than BS2 and the enemies are frankly really brutal and unforgiving. Combine that with respawning baddies and limited health/ammo/money and you've got a challenging situation. As someone who's beaten many a Call of Duty on Elite or whatever the hardest is I couldn't make any kind of headway into BS1 on Hard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm not quite sure what you mean by Big Daddy farming. As far as I can tell Hard in the original BioShock just made enemies take longer to kill and they can kill you way, way faster.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Scalding Coffee posted:

They respawn when you leave and reenter the level.

Oh that's right, but how can you farm them if once you take their Little Sister they just sort of wander around sadly? There's no reason to attack them after that unless you control their minds and use them against splicers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo I finally beat BIT.TRIP Beat :qq:

End boss was ownage but man what a tough game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
HOLY loving poo poo I BEAT BIT.TRIP RUNNER!! :w00t:

It's awesome and annoying and gratifying all at once like taking a huge dump after holding it in for six hours. I can't believe how easy the final level got after retrying 50 times and now I can beat it with my eyes closed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Jamestown but there's still plenty of that awesome little title to play. What a great shmup.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SmokinDan posted:

I like Charge because it's secondary fire owns. Primary not so much but you get used to it.

Yeah I've been using Charge exclusively since I unlocked it. Haven't purchased the 4th ship yet though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ManxomeBromide posted:

In entirely unrelated news, I've been grinding a bit on Everyday Shooter. I can't decide whether it's terrible or great. Which I guess means I should put it on the list of games I should consider doing if I ever do a VLP.

I personally really like Everyday Shooter and just found out there's a Steam version. It's definitely way challenging though and I can see where the frustration might come in. Learning the rules of each level can be confusing if you're just expecting a straightforward shmup.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I just beat FEAR 3 with Point Man and :stare:

What a fun, solid FPS with an ending that manages to out-crazy the second FEAR. Looking forward to playing through as Fettel later on.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:hellyeah: taking out first person shooters one by one. Beat NecroVision just now. Half of that game sure is neat and the other half sure is lovely!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zedd posted:

Can you spoiler tag it and write it down? No intention to ever play that game but now I am curious.

Well, the whole game has you playing alongside your dead telekinetic brother so that's no secret. Basically what you find out is that Alma is pregnant again after she raped the main character from FEAR 2 which is how that game ended. She's going into labor the whole of FEAR 3 which is basically causing the world to loving end and all these crazy apparitions to appear. As you play through FEAR 3 you learn about how you and your brother were test subjects and never given the choice about how they wanted to end up. You realize that Alma never had the choice either and the real enemy was the scientist who controlled everything back in the day so you end up sympathizing with both Fettel and Alma.

However Alma is still about to unleash this demon-baby-who knows what the gently caress upon the world and Point Man wants to stop her while Fettel wants to...consume her and develop godlike powers? Something like that. At any rate, depending on how each player scored you get one of two endings. Since I was playing single player as Point Man the ending was that I realize that while Fettel isn't to blame for who he is he's still a murderous psycopath who needs to be put down. So you fill his ghost head with...ghost bullets and then tend to Alma who's really just a scared (but still also insane) girl in pain. You deliver a very normal looking baby, Alma dies, and it fades out.

So it kind of sets up another FEAR but thankfully one without Alma and you have no idea what this baby is supposed to be. And I'm guessing that when I beat the game with Fettel I'll receive a very different ended. Overall there's a lot more backstory in FEAR 3 than the other two games if you're into that. No it wasn't really scary at all which is a bit of a disappointment but it was still a really fun FPS.

e: in other news :w00t: won my first full game of Atom Zombie Smasher on default settings. goddamn I love this game

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 12, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm marking Alpha Prime off as "beaten" because gently caress that game. Besides being ridiculously hard and hilariously lovely in the most boring way possible it's now started straight up crashing on me. And no this isn't just some CTD, this motherfucker resets my drat computer.

So even with rampant cheating now I'll never know the secret of Glomar's Heart. :qq:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just finished the first Puzzle Agent. What a really entertaining little game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just beat Eversion. That sure was...a waste of money.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Palpek posted:

Just so you know - Puzzle Agent 2 wraps up the whole story so it's actually worth getting as it's not a beginning of a bigger series or a Telltale season. Two games and it's done. Finished the second one in something like 3,5 hours.

Yeah I bought PA2 during the sale since it came with a copy of the first one. Looking forward to playing through it and really hope they keep making these, they're a nice change of pace from normal adventure games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I'm playing First Encounter HD right now and honestly the levels start to drag a good bit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I always liked the promo art he did for SSX.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just beat NyxQuest. Pretty neat little game that reminded me of Trine only more single-player focused. The end gets pretty bonkers too with you platforming and shooting things in the foreground while basically playing Missile Command with the sun in the background. Very cool.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:w00t: beat A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda. Nothing too fancy but worth more than the dollar I paid in the indy action pack on Steam. For anyone looking for a Mega Man fix definitely check it out.

I did have a problem with the controls and it's the same problem I have with Capsized. The games require you to aim in every direction constantly so it's easier to do so with a mouse but they also rely on 2D platforming which is always easier with a controller so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Puzzle Agent 2 and it just wasn't as good as the first one. I'm glad they wrapped up the story and it was still interesting but the puzzles were repetitive and didn't fit the narrative, one of the new characters was horribly voiced, the game ran way worse than the first game for some reason, and it straight up glitched up, crashed, and broke a puzzle on me more than once.

I don't know what the hell happened but it feels like they really rushed Puzzle Agent 2 out the door.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That Critical Mass game is really neat but seriously needs some patching. Besides being brutally hard even on Casual (which they've apparently acknowledged based on the in-game news ticker) everything that requires an internet connection, which is basically everything in the game, is broken so nothing gets saved and you can't get Achievements or anything.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just completed Ben There, Dan That! and only needed a guide for two puzzles which is some sort of record for me. The writing in that game is fantastic.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Play Max Payne and Max Payne 2.

e: then jam on the Crysis games and Dead Space

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's worth a playthrough for the atmosphere and animation but some of the puzzles were awful and/or things you needed blended in with the background or foreground completely. And yeah that maze thing was boooring ugh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
NyxQuest is only about 3 or 4 hours long and pretty good. Play that too.

And I just best Far Cry 2, the story of why a man started a blog.

Far Cry 2: The Real Driving Simulator.

Far Cry 2: :fuckoff:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:w00t: Ultimate Brutal Doom has been beaten!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

chippy posted:

It's meant to be the Doom guy's pet rabbit's severed head or something, if I recall correctly.

Yep. If you beat Doom 1 you see that a portal to hell has opened on earth and someone impaled a rabbit's head on a stick.

"You demon bastards are gonna pay for slicing up my bunny." :downs:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm kinda curious about the later levels though. Don't you eventually start fighting zombies and ghosts and poo poo in the forest?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah Puzzle Agent 2 really bummed me the gently caress out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I played through Critical Mass. A decent little puzle game I guess but there's nothing about it to break up the soul crushing monotony after a few levels. At least it's not impossibly hard anymore after the patch.

e:

Red_Fred posted:

In a similar coincidence I just finished Spear of Destiny. It's strange I found the second to last boss harder than the last. Also the final hell level was really easy.

I just started trying to play Spear of Destiny and I don't think I can do it. It's boring, the levels are repetitive and confusing, and it kinda hurts my eyes and makes me nauseous. I did find out however that if enable mouse control while using the keyboard to move if you move your mouse forwards you can run at double speed.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 18, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Brutal Doom 2 :hellyeah:

Might take it easy on the series for a little while now before I burn out. TNT and Plutonium have been decent so far but don't really flow as well as most of the regular series.

I think it's time for some Quake! :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Quake and Scourge of Armagon...for some reason. I wasn't even planning on it, I just kinda found myself installing them and then six hours later they were beaten. Guess it's time to move on to DoE!