Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
After spending a lot of money on the December sale I went ahead and sorted my collection (now up to 125 games, not as big as some but still pretty ridiculous) into genre categories, and I've set up a "Playing" and "To play" category for the games I'm currently working on and want to prioritize for my next selections.

So, right now I'm playing Dead Space, Amnesia, Batman: AA, and The Witcher: EE. This doesn't include my current playthroughs of Nier and Fallout: New Vegas on PS3.

The hardest part of this is making sure you actually stick to the plan; I moved VVVVVV to the complete pile when I finished it but then pulled it out a week later to replay it in Flipmode rather than play something else in my to-play/playing file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Dead Space. I've been playing too much stuff on PS3 to put a real dent on my Steam backlog, but DS was pretty great - reminded me of System Shock 1/2 in some nice ways.

I'm increasingly tempted to table Witcher for Divinity 2, but I know that once I finish chapter 1 of Witcher I'll be more inclined to play it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After playing Witcher for a few hours yesterday I came to the conclusion that it's really not doing much for me - I like the setting and writing, I'm just not having fun playing it. So, rather than continue to force myself to play it, I'll just move on.

Went ahead and finished up Trine (I'd gotten about 3/4 through it months back before I stopped playing due to some computer crashes I was having at the time), and now I'll start on Divinity 2 for my PC RPG fix.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The site right now seems pretty slow, so I'll update my backlog later.

I did just finish Braid (I didn't do the speedruns, so I guess in Backloggery parlance that'd be a "beaten" and not a "completed"), and I beat the normal mode of Recettear last week. Not quite done with that given all the postgame content, though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went ahead and updated my Backloggery with everything on my Steam account. It's probably pretty sad that most of the beaten/completed games I have on there were games that I bought and played years ago on release, and have ended up on my Steam account through package deals or sales.

http://backloggery.com/tortolia

Now to decide if I want to use this as my way of tracking/motivating myself to deal with my PC game backlog alone, or integrate my consoles too. :ohdear:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bad news: I bought 12 games/major DLC packs during the sale (Beat Hazard Ultra basically counts as a new game in my book).

Good news: I beat Amnesia and Batman, clearing several of my winter sale backlogged games out of my list!

Best news: Since I got like half a dozen new RPGs during the sale, I've decided to basically dump my Rift subscription, meaning I'll actually complete some more games!

Maybe.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Alright, Shadowgrounds done! I almost want to get Shadowgrounds Survivor out of the way, while I still have this overhead/isometric shooter mentality in my head.

How many chapters is Shadowgrounds? I think I got to 4 or 5 when I started playing it from the Humble Frozenbyte bundle.

VVVVVVVV

Yeah, I got the soundtracks from the bundle and actually really liked the Shadowgrounds soundtracks too. Since it seems reasonably short, maybe I'll pick that up again to get it out of the log.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 17, 2011

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Finished off Trine. I love how the final "boss" is an entire level with an rear end in a top hat created obstacles instead of an actual enemy. I wish the wizard got a spiked ball creating spell or something offensive to balance out his utility abilities.

Actually, he can crush most enemies with boxes/planks if they fall from high enough (or if you do it multiple times with telekinesis). It's clunky but doable in a pinch.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't restart Alpha Protocol! It's short and then you get to replay as a completely different Thorton and see how different everything can get.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall enjoying Descent 2 more than the original, but maybe that was just fond multiplayer memories.

Finally got around to beating Time Gentlemen, Please! Pretty solid, though a few lategame puzzles necessitated a walkthrough. Has there ever been word of a third game?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished Assassin's Creed 2. Much improved over the first and makes me look forward to another good sale on Brotherhood and to Revelations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hemish posted:

The people responsible for what you need to do to quit Assassin's Creed should be flogged.

Menu, exit memory, loading, exit Animus, loading, menu, quit, yes, loading, press button, select profile, confirm profile, loading, Exit, yes, FINALLY!
That was one of the many things they fixed in AC2. Thankfully.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As an alternative to the Alpha Protocol Shotgun rear end in a top hat run, SMGs work great too. If anything you feel like a bigger psychopath because for every crowd of enemies you end up charging into the middle spraying bullets along the way, then you trigger Bullet Storm and get unlimited ammo for up to 16 seconds. By doing this properly, you basically end up polishing off the last enemy or two with the beginning of the storm, and then have a good dozen seconds where you're just spraying lead into everything (corpses, walls, windows, artwork, etc), because gently caress it you've got unlimited ammo and you might as well use it.

Alpha Protocol's gunplay is a bit wonky, but it's certainly not horrible, it's just easy to get a skewed perspective because of how over the top overpowered the obligatory stealth+pistols run makes you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic down. I'm flagging it as Completed even though I technically didn't see all four endings; when it came down to it I chose to save Zana instead of Leanna. Fun game with completely :effort: endings and the flaw of the game having too many spiders and undead versus humans/goblins/orcs - the latter group was a lot more fun to gently caress around with physicswise. Endgame I just used Charm and Telekinesis with the odd fireball for flavor.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To take the choice out you can use the random steam game site or Backloggery to chose one for you.

To knock some short games out there's a few that jump out at me.

ARES was recently mentioned as being very short.

Breath of Death is about 4 hours - Cthulhu Saves the World is about twice as long, so those are short RPGs.

Trine is about 5-6 hours.

The Telltale game episodes are just a few hours each.

Pick one or two of those to play through and beat so you can just clear them entirely off the backlog.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fatpat268 posted:

Playing through Alpha Protocol, and it seems like I'm near the end.

But drat this game is good. I rented it on the 360 when it first came out, and I was pretty disappointed, and I never really gave it a chance. I was always frustrated that my shots weren't hitting their target. Anyway, I maxed out Stealth and Pistol, and the game is laughably easy (in a good way) with Shadow Operative and Chain Shot.

I love all the story hooks and decisions you have to make. A breath of fresh air from Mass Effect where everything is based on a moral system.
Do a replay after as a completely different type of personality and enjoy. AP falls into the class of games you need two runs to really complete (see: Nier and V:TM Bloodlines with a Malkavian run).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Fixed a typo for you. :) I'd say you have to at least see the three main archetypes (one of them as Veteran), and even once you do that there's still lots of stuff to uncover - I've beaten it three times and I figure it's got at least two more playthroughs in it, with specific endings I want to see if I can arrange.
I agree with you, but telling someone to replay more than once outright is probably a bit strong - you can't know how reactive AP is until you start a second game, but then it makes sense. I just think encouraging two playthroughs of a game is an easier task than going higher than that, because that kinda puts it into "too much effort" territory.

Don't get me wrong, I love AP, but do think you have to ease people into it a bit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I "beat" EYE. The end was as :catdrugs: :psyduck: as the rest of it.

I know there's probably 2 or 3 more playthroughs to actually COMPLETE the game, but I wanted to at least wrap around into New Game+ before Deus Ex came out, so mission accomplished.

Great game, though. Telefragging cyberdemons with werewolves is going to be one of the gaming highlights of 2011 for me, for sure.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Amnesia for me was immediately after the water segment, I was just starting to relax a bit when one of my cats grabbed my leg from behind.

The rest of the game was still spooky but didn't quite reach that level of near-pants-crapping fright. Feline force-feedback is powerful.

My backlog has been interrupted by Deus Ex. I spent most of my weekend on it and adore it. Best dialogue system since Alpha Protocol, especially with the social aug, and stealth is a joy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just finished a Deus Ex difficulty/Pacifist/Foxiest of the Hounds run of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. What a fantastic game and exactly what I'd hoped a Deus Ex sequel would be. Got 37 hours out of it, which is loving long for a FPS/RPG.

I'm expecting high things from Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 and Saints Row: The Third, but it will not surprise me if after all is said and done, DX:HR is my GOTY.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished Eschalon: Book 1. Pretty solid little RPG, not too long (about 20 hours of actual playtime, more like 22-23 hours total thanks to lockpicking/trap disarming/chest savescumming). I wouldn't pay the $15 it costs normally, but if it goes on sale during another steam sale for 50-75% off it'd be worth picking if you don't mind deliberately old-school PC RPGs. It'd be a good candidate for a netbook game, I think - the resolution maxes out at 800x600 and it's turn-based so you could touchpad it pretty easily.

I'm looking forward to Book 2, but I think I need to mix it up with a different style of RPG before diving into that one - maybe Last Remnant for a distinctly non-PC-RPG, as opposed to Drakensang.

Edit: Backloggery's fortune cookie just flat out told me to play Last Remnant now from a completely blind pick, so I guess there we have it!

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 8, 2011

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Completed Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD. I kinda miss the crazy gravity levels, but still pretty satisfying. I may downgrade one difficulty from Hard when I load up Second Encounter HD (or, rather, play the other campaigns instead of the imported Egypt one), though, since a lot of the later levels became repeated quick-load grinds whenever they tossed another three dozen Kleer skeletons at me when low on minigun ammo.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So after about 100ish hours, I finally beat The Last Remnant. Beat, not Completed - there were probably at least a dozen optional bosses I didn't fight, dozens of guild tasks and rare monsters uncompleted, I barely touched the weapon upgrade systems, and after the fully-upgraded final boss completely raped my party I reloaded an earlier save before I turned in the final sidequest so I could fight a much more reasonable version of him.

It's definitely not for everyone, since the plot is prime dumb JRPG and the vast majority of the game is combat, but if it clicks for you, holy crap is there a lot of content.

Now for some quick dumb games to contrast with sprawl.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Started and beat ARES today. Short but solid little platformer, kind of a cross between Megaman X and Gunstar Heroes. Good little rainy day kind of game, while giving some extra challenge if you're the kind to try to play levels over for score/rankings.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Decided to follow up ARES by resuming a backlogged title I hadn't played in six months. Shadowgrounds is beaten now.

Kind of average all around. Nothing remarkable but there are worse ways to spend six or seven hours. Probably will play something else instead of trying Shadowgrounds Survivor - likely Chantelise to resume another backlog hiatus game.

I'm kind of just treading water here since I keep getting games in indie bundles, but at least the beaten count keeps rising.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Any tips on the last stage of ARES? I'm no good at megaman type games, and I'll do whatever it takes to cheese by it, even if a little bit of grinding is needed (ie: which weapon should i upgrade)?
It's pretty straightforward outside of a few crushing pistons. Any weapon works on the final boss, just stock up on repair kits. The wave emitter is the best all around weapon since it ignores obstacles and does solid damage upgraded.

There is also a good grinding room early on (with the purple pyramid) if you need scrap.

Outside of the final boss having two forms the fight is simple enough, just keep moving.

Also, for Dark Messiah, poison takes you to 5 hp, so if you have no antivenom dont heal before then or you'll keep getting hurt.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 4, 2011

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Beat Chantelise today. I won't mark it as Completed since there's about a dozen fish I haven't caught and I died on level 50 (of 60) of the survival dungeon, but I got my money's worth anyway. Not as good as Recettear but I don't think anyone really expected that anyway.

Also in the "quickest game to cross off the backlog" category, I noted that I never did actually beat HL2: Lost Coast. 15 minutes and done!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Penny Arcade Adventures Episode One beaten. A bit self indulgent (obviously) but not bad, especially for the $2 I got both games for. I assume the second is about the same length?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, about 60% of my unbeaten are unplayed. Another 20% or so I recognize as having loaded them like once or twice total. At least I'm making some progress.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished And Yet It Moves, since it was relatively short and it's netbook-playable while my wife Skyrims. Not a bad game, though the later levels were a lot better than the previous ones.

My Backloggery fortune cookie is now telling me to play more Everyday Genius. I guess technically I can work on "beating" it by finishing all of the Challenge puzzles. I guess. Is there even a point where you CAN flag Everyday Genius as beaten?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I started and completed Eversion, which is a quick, warped little platformer worth the $1.25 it's on sale for right now.

Today I completed my first playthrough of Saints Row: The Third, which in a year full of quality games stands out for the craziness and humor of the missions, dialogue and writing. It's definitely getting a replay to choose the other main story choices and to hear a different voice set in the missions, plus whatever co-op I get involved with. Great loving game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh Steam Sales, why must you have Dead Space 2 for $5. :sigh:

Seriously though, I feel like I've handled this whole sale pretty well - while I've purchased 4 games, I've beaten/completed 3, and I don't see any reason why Limbo won't be done today too, making the whole thing a wash.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

What games did you buy to finish in such a few days?

The only one of the three I got during the sale and finished during it was Eversion, which is like a 2 hour game to actually fully complete. The other two I beat were Binding of Isaac (I'm going to keep playing it, but I've gotten five kills of the normal last boss with five different characters, so that qualifies as beating it in my book) and Saints Row: The Third (as with BoI, I am definitely not done with it by any means, but I did beat all of the missions).

Limbo will be done here this afternoon, since that's another short one.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of torn how to classify Binding of Isaac at this point.

I've completed Sheol with all six characters, which pretty much is the culmination of finishing the game. That said, I'm still missing 3 of the "take no damage in X levels" achievements and 3 of the "unlock Y item" achievements (Necronomicon/Shears/Bandage) to get Golden God. I've got 118 of the items picked up.

I guess with the Backloggery definition it's still not Completed, but the rest of the achievements are basically just reloading the game repeatedly to hope for the last few items to spawn (you can cheese the no-damage achievements if the RNG likes you).

Still, at 25 hours I'm more than happy with it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have beaten Everyday Genius! Such as it is. Only 19700+ more puzzles for full completion!

Nah, great game and a fantastic netbook game (at least until you reach some of the Beyond puzzles, you'd go blind trying to see those in 1024x600 resolution), and I'll still poke at it moving forward, but now I can check it off the list. Fantastic gift for any puzzle fans on your gift list this holiday (and it generally gets solid discounts during steam sales too).

Working on Bastion right now as well - pretty fun game. I think I need to stop trying to use so many idols, though, I'm knocking the difficulty straight into "This isn't much fun anymore" levels.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

I have way too many Steam games unplayed. :(

It's time I fix that! I made an excel file of all my steam games with an assigned number and I'll choose one at random. I do have exceptions that if the game is a sequel another game I won but have yet played, I'll reroll.

Currently I was playing Dead Space before the Terraria patch distracted me. I'll finish that then movie onto my first selected game, Trine! :)
Why not use Backloggery's fortune cookies?

Finished Bastion yesterday. I think it was a little overhyped, but still a really good game, and the presentation and audio were fantastic. I appreciate the fact the game was just created to do unique things and it worked. Going back in for a NG+ run for sure.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished my Bastion NG+ run and did all the 10 idol challenges along the way, so that's upgrading to Completed. Only unbeaten achievement is the Score Attack one, but that's because that'd just be doing more replays of the game, and eh. Still a drat good game, and I've been listening to the soundtrack all week.

My Steam Sale week haul so far isn't too bad - Garry's Mod from an achievement, and Avadon, Renegade Ops and Defense Grid for myself. Most of my purchases have been to inflate my wife's backlog. :toot:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Renegade Ops beaten, both normal and DLC campaigns. For $3 it was a steal, and is worth picking up for under $10, easily. I could see it being a lot of fun with buddies too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I finished Cargo. That was, uh, interesting. Not a bad game, just seemed like more of a concept than a fully fleshed out game. Also, highly :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have Beaten the 3 Gundemonium Collection games: Gundemonium Recollection, Gundeadligne and Hittogata Happa. We'll ignore the first and last of the three were beaten on beginner mode and involved continuing/credit feeding. :colbert:

Actually beat Gundeadligne on my first attempt without continuing on normal difficulty, so going in blind - I don't know if that means it's just easier than the other two or if I got real lucky.

I'll keep playing them because they're fun and more than fulfill my daily allowance of Animes, but gently caress trying to Complete them - I have no idea how anyone could do some of the challenges/requirements they have. I am not good at bullet hell.