Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

qirex posted:

HTC Cone of Frost

this would loving own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

havent been reading this thread but i just wanted to post on page 100

soooooooo somebody sum up the last few months for me

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

havent been reading this thread but i just wanted to post on page 100

basically: lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maniacdevnull posted:

multiple laugh factories are expected to produce up to 50 million android tablets in 2011 most of which will never end up being sold

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

multiple laugh factories are expected to produce up to 50 million android tablets in 2011 most of which will never end up being sold

80 million lols produced, 50 million sold

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

quote:

same crappy UI, same exact look, same "magical" BS statements.. Thanks, but no thanks.. Apple just made my tablet decision easier. I am getting Xoom tonight.

First dual-core tablet to ship in volume? HAHHAHAA.. I bet iFans really believe that.

quote:

Thinness is nothing new, they are trying to match the Kindle, which is 8.5mm. You know the Kindle was iPad's original target.

Problem is Kindle beats this as a reader, in price, performance, book store and usability.

quote:

What gains does the iPad2 have on the Xoom when it comes to features and specs? None. Pricing is still an issue, I'll give you that and Motorola needs to do something quick. . .but spec for spec, the Xoom is a clear winner here.

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984
How does the Kindle beat the iPad in terms of Books you can buy? Isn't there an app for that?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
kindle owns

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Wood Warder posted:

How does the Kindle beat the iPad in terms of Books you can buy? Isn't there an app for that?

yeah, i love my kindle, but "more access to books" is not something it has over the iPad

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
All this talk about "lol xoom pwns ipad on specs" has me wondering: is there a benchmark that shows anything but a dead heat between the two or a clear edge to the iPad?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bobby Digital posted:

All this talk about "lol xoom pwns ipad on specs" has me wondering: is there a benchmark that shows anything but a dead heat between the two or a clear edge to the iPad?

get out of yospos

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Bobby Digital posted:

How would you get around accounting for the differences in OS and architecture(?)

also

graph posted:

get out of yospos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The fact that Xoom and its fan club are reduced to yelling about specs (like how many graphic cores it has and how many gigaflops per femtosecond it churns through) show shows that neither Motorola nor they have any idea why customers (as opposed to the dwindling sliver of tech-spergs) bought 15 million iPads last year.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FMguru posted:

The fact that Xoom and its fan club are reduced to yelling about specs (like how many graphic cores it has and how many gigaflops per femtosecond it churns through) show shows that neither Motorola nor they have any idea why customers (as opposed to the dwindling sliver of tech-spergs) bought 15 million iPads last year.

xoom owners can't even talk about benchmarks

laugh factory marches on and on

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

xoom owners can't even talk about benchmarks

laugh factory marches on and on

Not really, they're comparing graphics performance amongst unlike resolutions

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Not really, they're comparing graphics performance amongst unlike resolutions

Which wouldn't have near that level of disparity given those tests.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Seriously, at most there should be a 25% difference, not a 50% to 400% one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Unexpected EOF posted:

Which wouldn't have near that level of disparity given those tests.

No, but you can add another 3rd to the Xoom's performance since it has a third more pixels.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

TOOT BOOT posted:

No, but you can add another 3rd to the Xoom's performance since it has a third more pixels.

No it doesn't. It's 25%.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

wow yeah 33% or 25% would really make a huge difference when the gap is literally 100%

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ryouga Inverse posted:

wow yeah 33% or 25% would really make a huge difference when the gap is literally 100%

Unexpected EOF posted:

Seriously, at most there should be a 25% difference, not a 50% to 400% one.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

graph posted:

people who say something is good for business travel doesnt know what business travel is

whores

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

Wood Warder posted:

more worrying is the idea that kindle beats ipad on performance when my kindle takes half a second to display a new page of a text file

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Wifi Xooms out on 3/27. For the same price as a Ipad2.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/motorola-makes-wifi-only-xoom-official-599-on-march-27th/

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

cleanhands posted:

more worrying is the idea that kindle beats ipad on performance when my kindle takes half a second to display a new page of a text file

That's more a limitation of the eInk display. Also I think it's like a quarter of a second on the Kindle 3. My 3 feels like it's loading pages a lot faster than my 2 did.

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.
cool thing is you can get 'unwanted gift' galaxy tabs for like £100

which is too much for a tab but i guess i'd get a xoom for that price

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CitizenKain posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/motorola-makes-wifi-only-xoom-official-599-on-march-27th/

WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL SIGN ME THE gently caress UPPPPP

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CitizenKain posted:

I'm mildly surprised that they were able to match iPad2 in price. I wonder how much money they're losing on every one sold? Still, the entry level device is cheaper on the Apple side, and Apple's in the odd place where it has more options at more price levels than one of its main competitors.

Plus, you know, you don't have to mail your iPad back to Apple for two weeks to have them install the advertised functionality you paid for.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
guess they really dont want a cheaper 8gb/16gb version so people can put the sd slot to good use

which kinda defeats the whole point of having a sd card slot and use it with your own cheap (terrible and slow) sd cards to expand the capacity

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

Wood Warder posted:

That's more a limitation of the eInk display. Also I think it's like a quarter of a second on the Kindle 3. My 3 feels like it's loading pages a lot faster than my 2 did.

i don't care but thanks

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

DaNzA posted:

guess they really dont want a cheaper 8gb/16gb version so people can put the sd slot to good use

which kinda defeats the whole point of having a sd card slot and use it with your own cheap (terrible and slow) sd cards to expand the capacity

The sd slot on the Xoom is a retarded attempt to have one more useless feature when compared to the iPad 2.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

The sd slot on the Xoom is a retarded attempt to have one more useless feature when compared to the iPad 2.

u can look at ur pictures right away!!!!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

it's one of those dumb microsd slots which should be on phones and it doesn't even work right now in honeycomb

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
and with adobe photoshop mobile for tablet devices, u can edit* ur pics rite there!!!!

*red eye removal, color correction, and brightness adjustment only.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
seriously why isn't adobe tumbling over its own cock to get a good version of photoshop on tablets

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kirk posted:

seriously why isn't adobe tumbling over its own cock to get a good version of photoshop on tablets

Adobe stopped making a good version of Photoshop a while ago.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
their handling of flash on tablets shows they could certainly port photoshop with no problems

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Atasi posted:

Adobe stopped making a good version of Photoshop a while ago.

granted but why arent they attempting

i mean id at least expect them to try writing some sort of obj-c wrapper for adobe air/flex so they could run a ported version of photoshop and have it be some ungodly slow monstrosity that doesn't loving work

instead: nothing

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

it's one of those dumb microsd slots which should be on phones and it doesn't even work right now in honeycomb

none of the features advertised works in honeycomb or on the Xoom right now :xd:

microsd is even loving dumber than sd because there are no cameras that use microsd hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Glumwheels posted:

I think that title belongs to the loving barometer.