Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Nice... excellent tablet for Byob browsing, and hot [and only 800 dollars]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

Autism Sundae posted:

Your custom title is so loving annoying.

Just stop posting.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

haha did you blow your whole allowance on it fatso german dude

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.
Way to be civil. And No i didn't.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

i was probably struck down by a troon.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Autism Sundae posted:

i was probably struck down by a troon.

troons don't have money for custom titles, they're saving up for their gender reassignment surgery

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Autism Sundae posted:

uhm, does the rowser allow me to enable my own custom byob.css for the return of sir bigglesworth III, hammock cat extraordinaire???? this is a deal breaker.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Glumwheels posted:

troons don't have money for custom titles, they're saving up for their gender reassignment surgery

also cashmere sweaters and mac makeup arent cheap

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

why spend that much money on expensive makeup and clothing when they look god awful and will never pass for the gender they "think" they are

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

:v:

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

:stare: EIGHT HUNDRED loving DOLLARS

haveblue posted:

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.

:lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol:

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Motorola Xoom: NEARLY TWICE THE PRICE OF AN IPAD

I just have one question for motorola: are you loving retarded?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

wait you have to pay for at least one month of data just to turn on a feature in the tablet?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.

quoting

what is this posted:

Motorola Xoom: NEARLY TWICE THE PRICE OF AN IPAD

I just have one question for motorola: are you loving retarded?
But it has dual core! and a gig of ram!

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
this is the new dumbest tablet. hasn't even come out yet, but the dell streak and samsung galaxy tab are going to have to step over and relinquish the crown

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

haveblue posted:

Wow. So is the wifi only tablet not a segment anyone wants to fight apple for?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

the wifi only xoom will be coming out later

I can only assume verizon put them up to this

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Glumwheels posted:

why spend that much money on expensive makeup and clothing when they look god awful and will never pass for the gender they "think" they are

Leave god out of this dude

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

depending which data package you choose for that one month.

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money
congrats on missing the point idiot

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

This is something of a hole in the entire Android market (three years on, and there still isn't an Android equivalent to the iPod Touch.) Android devices are sold primarily through mobile phone carriers, whose primary interest is in getting people to commit to a long-term service contract. They have no interest in devices that they can't charge out the nose to use on their networks, so wifi-only tablets and handhelds never make it to market.

Apple, on the other hand, is quite happy to sell wifi-only tablets and iPod Touches, which give them a really nice boost when they point to metrics like "iOS devices in use" and "potential iOS App Store customers", makes them a nice chunk of change in and of themselves, and gets customers enmeshed in the whole iTunes ecosystem (so when they move up to a smartphone or tablet, they'll choose Apple). They can do this because they control their own retail distribution, app store, and software stack in ways that Motorola and HTC do not.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why. Why are giant corporations so stupid

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money

Amethyst posted:

Why. Why are giant corporations so stupid

step 1) go to business school (do not study, just party with your "bros")
step 2) put on a suit and get hired at A Company
step 3) work your way up via your bros and their bros
step 4) make decisions only in the form "if we charge X dollars more for product/feature Y, we will make Z more profit [assuming consumers are dumb enough to buy it]"

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
still less dumb than some

"let's go freemium with this! we give it away for free, and then"

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Glumwheels posted:

wait you have to pay for at least one month of data just to turn on a feature in the tablet?

android means freedom

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
this commenter is hopefully trolling

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Anatole posted:

Weren't the specs confirmed with this having a 32gb SSD, making it overall more expensive than the equivalent iPad model?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Unexpected EOF posted:

Weren't the specs confirmed with this having a 32gb SSD, making it overall more expensive than the equivalent iPad model?
The image from best buy indicates "32 gb memory" (little box on the left above the wifi)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Those engadget comments are hilarious. Up until the price leaked they were jizzing in their pants over the xoom and calling it the ipad killer. Now they're all :qq: and facing aother year of apple supremacy.

I wonder if there will be a price drop on the new ipad, that would be a kick in the balls to the other talet manufacturers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

I wonder if there will be a price drop on the new ipad, that would be a kick in the balls to the other talet manufacturers.
they'll probably just make the $500 model 32 gigs

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

if the xoom is more expensive and worse than the ipad then all it's going to do is actually give apple sales as people who were going to get a xoom go "welp!"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Drone_Fragger posted:

if the xoom is more expensive and worse than the ipad then all it's going to do is actually give apple sales as people who were going to get a xoom go "welp!"

but its best of ces bro

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

announcing things without a price is so stupid

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

announcing things without a price is so stupid

announcing things as best of show with no one being able to see, hold, or even use the product owns

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Anatole posted:

starcraft 2 on a tablet without a keyboard, scoff

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
tl;dr: Galaxy Tab is a sluggish piece of poo poo even fresh out of the box.

Oh, somebody told me to explain what was bad about the Galaxy Tab in this thread so I guess I'll do that.

I got a chance to use a Galaxy Tab while I was out the other day hunting down a super-spergy videogame. I decided to stop off at one of my Telecom's phone stores to get them to replace my lovely candybar phone with a slightly less lovely one. While I was there I noticed they had the Galaxy Tab so on a larf I decided to ask if I could demo one. So the dude behind the demo counter goes "Sure, we just got one in for a demo model," goes into the back room and comes out with a shrink wrapped box that he opens in front of me. This device was 100% fresh, never used. He fiddles with it for a couple of seconds and hands it over to me, still charging.

So I start flicking around with the device and instantly notice something. Even just changing the goddamn screen has an element of lag to it. Like, I'd flick with my finger and it goes 75% of the way to the next page, pauses for half a second or something, and instantly jumps the rest of the way. I tried to tell myself the standard "Oh, it's just a demo model" until I remembered that he opened it right in front of me.

I go into the browser and decide to load a few sites. poo poo like CNN for some slightly more image heavy sites, and a few text files I had on my server, just to see how well it scrolled. On the plus side, scrolling is perfectly smooth and not clunky at all when looking at a 36k text file! On the downside, every other site on the planet makes the thing feel like it's running a browser from 2001. Even the navigation controls felt a big sluggish.

So after about five minutes of dicking around with the device the line had thinned pretty well and I told the guy thanks for letting me give it a look and picked up my new, slightly less poo poo candybar phone.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Unexpected EOF posted:

samsung for some dumb reason didn't enable androids graphics acceleration, so that fancy nvidia gpu they keep blathering about is never used to actually draw the UI

if their handling of the gps problem[1] is any indication, they will spend a year denying that accelerated graphics are useful, another year fixing it, and then two years trying to charge carriers for the fix.

[1] samsung galaxies shipped with gps hardware but no software support; the recommended "resolution" is to enable nearby-wifi location

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Unexpected EOF posted:

samsung also has their own filesystem that can't handle modern things like cached writes, journaling, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

what is this posted:

still less dumb than some

"let's go freemium with this! we give it away for free, and then"

That works pretty good for those lovely mmos that tried to compete with WoW. I think its either DnD online or LOTR online that is making more money than it ever did with the subscription model but maybe you were just talking about hardware.