Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Drone_Fragger posted:

if the xoom is more expensive and worse than the ipad then all it's going to do is actually give apple sales as people who were going to get a xoom go "welp!"

but its best of ces bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

announcing things without a price is so stupid

announcing things as best of show with no one being able to see, hold, or even use the product owns

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kirk posted:

yeah if there's one thing that annoys me about android above all else is that it's never, ever, ever a smooth experience, you will experience tons of hitches and annoying pauses no matter how many cores your phone has

its true

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Unexpected EOF posted:

If that's true that's loving retarded.

trying to send a text usually involves about 4-5 seconds of lag added up through the process

its aggravating as gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Atasi posted:

Welp I guess the fanboys are onto the Asus Transformer, the [b]real]/b] iPad killer!

*coughs gently* excuse me i believe you meant the eFun Nextbook

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Coffee Jones posted:

ah gently caress already been built.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPx4opR7o4

whoa neat

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Don Lapre posted:

After steve dies, apple will hire the CEO of coke and bring back the performa line and caddy cd's.

hahah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BiohazrD posted:

i legitimately tried to get my doctor to write a note saying i was deaf so at&t would give me an iphone plan with no minutes

this is a serious post

theres this cool thing called 'ipod touch' its basically the iphone without the phone portion

hope this helps

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BiohazrD posted:

cool does it have 3g

why would you need 3g when it has wifi

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

there's a place that doesn't always have wifi

it's called outside your house

i live in the city, there's wifi everywhere ?

sorry for your suburban wasteland

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

plus nobody should use public wifi for anything even slightly serious now that firebug is out there

oh noes my dev tools

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz3vlPOHZ5E
is my current ringtone

related: rip brian jacques

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

True.

The other funny thing about Apple is if someone did manage to produce a tablet that was price-competitive with the iPad, Apple's margin means they could just lower the price by $50 or $100, undercutting their competition again, and still be profitable. How on earth do you compete with that?

excuse me? have you heard about the eFun Nextbook? no? :smug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

NOTinuyasha posted:

yes except not at all

yeah, dell is a mail-order company

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

Apple's ability to use their $60B cash horde to pre-buy critical components years in advance at a huge discount means that it is physically impossible for other companies to match their prices, much less beat them.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/apple-said-to-be-in-talks-with-samsung-to-buy-7-8-billion-worth/

thats a lot of parts

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

Yep. Apple uses their cash, not just to pre-buy key future technology, they lend it to manufacturers so they can build the factories needed to manufacture the technology. Those "retina displays" on the current-model iPhone and iPod were manufactured in factories built with a zero-interest loan from Apple's cash reserves. Between that and the volumes that Apple orders, what manufacturer wouldn't jump into bed with Apple and offer them the best imaginable pricing?

Not just that, but Apple gets exclusivity on those Samsung parts, having pre-paid for 100% of the production. if the iPad 2013 comes out with some really amazing Samsung screen technology, nobody will be able to make a comaparable device, because they can't get their hands on Samsung's screen at any price.

(and I should have written "cash hoard" not "cash horde")

i didn't realize it was that deep, jesus

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
also is there an article you got this info off of, would seem like an interesting read

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

http://www.asymco.com/

awesome thanks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

johndis posted:

well that explains that

god drat apple is killin it

yeah i had a :pwn: moment reading them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

Nobody knows - they keep this all on the q.t. and bury it deep in their SEC filings. But the first public sighting of the strategy was in 2005 or so, when they bought up ALL of the NAND Flash memory being produced that year ahead of time for the iPod Nano and Shuffle. Which, you'll remember, pretty much finished off all of their competitors in the MP3 player market.

i remember this

buying all the nand is one thing, BUILDING THE FACTORIES FOR THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THEM is a whole other loving ballpark

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

really if asymco isn't on your "list of sites i read to make money decisions" then i don't even know what to tell you

havent had money to invest in years so usually its only 'do i get the craft microbrew or budweiser'

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quote:

it's not the products; it's the psychology.

people accept less than ideal performance from apple products (they obviously don't perform perfectly) and rationalize it because THEY LIKE THE PRODUCTS - and like the fact that they fit in because they have them.

your point is exactly right - how is it that samsung branded products are so inferior to apple products? they aren't. they have some of the same internals. in fact it's far more likely than samsung would offload it's substandard poo poo to OEMS and keep its prime stock for itself - being that they COMPETE IN THE SAME SPACE. It's only logical.

the psychology of an evangelical brand means that apple's legion does its work for it.

also, apple offsets tons of complaints of its products by having nonreplaceable parts and a yearly product cycle. this means two things: if you're one of the faithful (apple has an insanely high recidivism rate), you re: up to the latest version every year. Your product is never off warranty and thus you almost never need to hear the company turn you away should you wind up with a faulty unit. you walk into a store - get a replacement, and you're happy - and that faulty unit story never hits the interwebs - and i'd never trust any company to self-report these things anyway.

apple is no better a company than anyone else - but it is quintessentially an postmodern American one in that it understands the psychology of its consumer. It knows that if God didn't exist, humans would create one - that our need to evangelize is basic and fundamental - it's why all cultures do it. it's obviously why fanboys - fans - exist at all. that we need a face and voice to trust - Jobs understands this. And that's why he's a genius.

these other firms try and compete on price, featureset, technology, etc - and while successful - can't match apple's success. Because they're focusing on the wrong things. This is why Apple can buy poo poo from Samsung - resell it to you - call it magic, and then not only will you pay for the privilege, you will advertise for free for the firm far and wide.

Fanboyism - or rather various aspects of nontheistic evangelism - is the new religion. all praise to your corporate overlords.

:allears:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
look, loading the nightly roms is the same as getting great customer support

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Anatole posted:

this makes literally no sense at all

hes copypasting comments

efb

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

what is this posted:

I've been reading too many fishmech posts recently. Those would fit right in with his other stuff.

lol you read fishmech posts

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kirk posted:

i know the Xoom will blow away the ipad 2 because i was at CES and saw the many advance features and since it runs very fast and yes i can watch live streaming videos on the web due to great Flash capabilities which ipad and ipad 2 will not have.

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quote:

Yes - business users will prefer its actual access to the filesystem ( no more iTunes / Sync hassles ) -- should sell based just on that escape from such stuff. +1 for me anyhow.

lol yes business users 'love' file systems

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Unexpected EOF posted:

So...

Why does anything think this isn't retarded?

babies

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

apple cannot be allowed to win because

babies

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dell's Streak 10 won't keep us waiting for long: come April, the Gallo will reportedly be chomping away at some tasty Honeycomb. But that's not all -- Dell lists a handwriting update for the Gallo in October or thereabouts. There's also a Streak 7 update scheduled for July -- we imagine that's the point when Dell believes it can shoehorn Android 3.0 onto its older brother.

Meanwhile, Dell's 10-inch Windows 7 slate, internally known as Rosemount, is slated for June, with a 1366 x 768 resolution that should allow for native playback of 720p video.

We can't tell you what the Sterling is, but it's likely a mid-sized one, as it's slated to take over the Streak 7's duties in or about October with Android Honeycomb on board.

Finally, come CES 2012 in January, we now expect Dell to drop three new tablets at once: the Opus One and Silver Oak running Android Honeycomb, and the Peju with Windows 8. (The Streak 10 / Gallo will apparently soldier on.) Numbers on the left of the charge suggest that the Opus will be small, the Silver Oak mid-sized, and the Peju large.

yeah youd have to be a drunk to drop three loving shite tablets lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
'hey guys, lets keep shoving windows 7 into tablets.' -a major computer company in 2012

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
'the dell dj. truely a ipod killer.' -an idiot

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Janin posted:

The iPad sold roughly ten million units in 2010.

Making the unwarranted assumption that Android tablets manage to sell that many in 2011, 5% would be 500k units.

In other words, Dell's goal is to sell in one year what Apple sold in less than a single day.

And if you predict a more reasonable Android market share, Dell's goal just drops further.

Way to shoot for the moon, Dell.

the ipad is not an android-based tablet :buddy:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Autism Sundae posted:

ive never seen anyone use a widnows tablet irl

i have

the microsoft rep at university in 2002

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Janin posted:

you're not good at reading, are you

yeah oops go gently caress yourself

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
dualcore and still can't solve interface lag lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mrbucket posted:

i have drank this before and its delicious

ill keep it in mind

grip up some silver oak cab, its the best vinyard in america imo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

Rosemont's Shiraz is really quite good some years

ehhh

for a couple bucks cheaper i'll take wyndham estate bin 555 over rosemount

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Obscuritatem posted:

how dare you sir

digital humanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

In spite of the Apple quality bandwagon I'd just like to point out that these "superdrives" in Apple laptops are the biggest pieces of poo poo

i cant burn a dual layer dvd with disk utility or toast

disk utility fails after 15%, toast gets around 92-97%