Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the ipad is very well designed and excellent for the market apple are visionary for making it

but it's also a grandma device and should be viewed as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Eegah posted:

i can sit in my reclining sofa, use the case to stand the ipad up in landscape mode on my chest about 5 inches away, its great (my laptop is heavier and scrolling with the track pad kinda hurt my wrist cause the angle was awkward)

then on the train ride to/from work i have something that doesnt make me squint like a phone with being a bulky laptop (which id have to tether for 3g access)

also this thing doesnt get warm ever ever ever i dunno what youre talking about

all in all this thing has been by far the best thing for vegetative media consumption and totally worth the 650 or whatever i paid for it

get a macbook air

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ posted:

if you can't come up with a use for the ipad then shut the gently caress up and don't buy one, the rest of us are perfectly content to leave people behind in the mobile revolution, and better those people be unimaginative luddites

BE A PART OF SOMETHING! BUY A loving INTERNET BROWSING MACHINE!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.

quote:

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why. Why are giant corporations so stupid

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

whoa whoa wait..
hard drive?! Is that a mistake?

Laugh factory running overtime

EDIT: not a hard drive, oh well

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I care about tablets.

Deeply.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

who gives a gently caress how much ram or processing power a tablet has? if it can scroll the web smoothly and play hd video it doesn't matter even in the slightest bit jesus christ hardware fetishists can be ultra dumbs

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I know that tech companies see flash as their savior because ipad doesn't have it, but it's goddamn pathetic to see them all spruiking a lovely web platform that should be obsolete as a killer feature.

I don't want to buy a dual core processor just so I can watch poorly embedded videos in web pages ffs

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

eat up martha

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Audiophile threads are the best threads.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I can't believe a major corporation looked at ios, saw the one point of difference they could latch onto (flash), and the decided to base the entire OS around that single point of difference.

The mistake is so obvious.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

2011: Year of the terminal on the phone

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I like how it says "Ads are only shown to users when it's convenient".

What does that mean? Does it mean the ads only show when you are using the phone?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

WTF I just looked at the transformer review on engadget and the videos are basically long complaint sessions; unresponsive ui, lovely video performance, half assed keyboard integration.

In the text review, however, it ends by recommending it highly, "a very compelling tablet option"

tech media.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Metrication posted:

[zimg]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/asus-05272011.jpg[/zimg]
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/asus-to-unveil-a-phone-docking-tablet-at-computex/

dumbest gimmick ever

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol that asus ceo owns

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i like how poeple think osx has bad memory management because they open process monitor and look at the numbers rather than, you know, judging by application performance.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

no, it really does have terrible memory management because it's terrible about flushing cached data when something needs it later

so wait, does it clear the cache to quickly or too slowly?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

It just keeps accumulating cached data over time until new stuff starts paging to disk

You either have to run purge from the console or log out to fix it

I'm actually interested in this, as I've never really noticed any significant performance diferences between os x and win7, are there any technical breakdown articles on os x caching flaws?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I really do see a lot of people using iPhones with shattered screens on the train though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Metrication posted:

i've never seen anyone with an iphone 4 with a shattered screen on any public transport in london what scrub place do you live

4 of my friends now have had iphone 4's including myself for varying lengths of time and no shattering has occurred!!!

Sydney. Everyone is clumsy here I guess! My GF's mother is now on here 3rd iPhone 4, and the current one is shattered already but she hasn't bothered replacing it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

read only sd card
Biggest laff in the thread so far

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol

The same people who went so crazy after the apple logging scandal are going to bend over backwards to justify this

Also I'm pretty sure apples logs weren't wide open to any app that requested internet access.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

wait what

why is it killing children

they're literal screaming and running in terror from the horrible android phone

look at how stupid you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

dear yospos:

i'd make this a thread but approx 100% of the idiots who need to read it post in this thread so here you go

stop being loving meta

meta isn't funny

meta ruins funny

being meta all the time is why lf stopped being funny, it's why fyad stopped being funny, and if you morons can't stop being meta about yospos or yospos/fyad or yospos/iyg ever second post then yospos will stop being funny and it will be your fault that nothing on SA is ever consistently funny anymore

shut the gently caress up
Sticky this poo poo at the top of every fyad lite