Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Janin posted:

have you ever used a nexus s? it's easily as good as an iphone 4, and much better than a 3g/3gs

you know, as long as you don't care about things like "battery life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

or is "being able to use the phone somewhat frequently over the course of the day without recharging" just some crazy use case that no one should care about?

i mean who wants to actually use their phone amirite???

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

well you see, i carry around a usb charger everywhere i go, and any time i am near a usb plug i just jam that right in there for some juice

sometimes people on the bus look at me weird when i plug into their laptops tho

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

The nook isn't sold as a tablet. It works fine out of the box as an e-reader.

yes but you were presenting it as a "tablet" in the same class as an ipad or galaxy tab

it isnt a "good tablet" if you have to do severe nerd fuckery to it to get it to even have close to the same features, let alone how the thing compares on actual usability once you've completed this arcane procedure

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like you cant have it both ways. either it's a tablet that doesnt work as a tablet out of the box but you can hack it so it sort of passes as one, or it's an ereader that works as an ereader out of the box and not a tablet

and in either case it doesnt compete with the ipad/galaxy tab because both of those devices actually work for the purpose you buy them for when you pull them out of the box

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Ryouga Inverse posted:

and in either case it doesnt compete with the ipad/galaxy tab because both of those devices actually work for the purpose you buy them for when you pull them out of the box

lol the ipad needs you to connect it to a computer before you can use it

this is totally comparable to having to download software made by some random idiot on the internet and install it on your brand new embedded device

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Its sold as an e-reader that can be used as a tablet with fuckery, which right now it does really shittilly. I never claimed it competes with galaxy tab or ipad.

oh you were replying to someone that thought it was good. ok i see now

like dont get me wrong. there is def a market for that sort of thing, let's call them "nerd not included" devices. it's awesome that there are devices that cater to that niche

but is it really too much to ask that the build quality be decent? it's just like, the "argument" against iphone is/was "one sku from one company on one carrier". but look at all these loving tablets from ces. in what way does having so many garbage tablets that all run their own unique blend of the same os benefit people at all? are there really enough variations on desired feature sets that you could have that many high quality devices?

i'm all for competition, i understand that it's required in order to get maximum progress in a space, but this is just loving retarded. no one wants to pick a tablet from tens of almost-identical knockoff pieces of junk. not end users and not hackers either.

it's like they think nerds don't notice build quality or dont care about it. why waste time hacking a device to do cool poo poo if the device itself is trash?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Janin posted:

galaxy tab doesn't work for anything

well im sure the 85% or w/e of people keeping them are using them for something but i dont know what

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i mean they arent even trying. its like all these companies read all the nerd blog responses to the ipad announcement/release and wrote down all the things that nerds complained that the ipad didnt have, then tried to add them to their own devices

not a single one of those devices has a new feature that makes you go "why didn't they do this before?" they are all developed from the same philosophy of "people say that they don't like the ipad because it doesn't have already-existing feature x, why don't we just make one that has that feature?"

for competition to be beneficial more than one competitor has to be coming up with new ideas, otherwise it's just a bunch of cargo cult idiots playing follow the leader

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

hmm some people say they would like the ipad more if it had an sd card slot, let's make our device have an sd card slot and all those people will buy our device

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Ryouga Inverse posted:

well im sure the 85% or w/e of people keeping them are using them for something but i dont know what

i was going to say that it probably makes a pretty good tray to put plates and stuff on, i actually use my ipad for that surprisingly often

but then i remembered it's 7" so it doesnt even make a better flat surface than the ipad

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

tryin to get half the posts on this page

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Janin posted:

toshiba's tablet actually, honest to god, has a big "our batteries are user-replaceable" section in its feature list

how many people do you know who are willing/able to replace the battery in an electronic device, but are too dumb to use a torx driver

well you see, we could have spent a lot of money trying to make our tablet's battery life come within striking distance of the ipad's

but instead we decided that we should just sell extra batteries that you can lug around and replace mid-movie

it's win-win, you get to decide how much battery life you have and we get tons of money from extra batteries!!

oh and also you probably cant take extra batteries on an airplane. something about being able to trivially turn them into explosives. enjoy the one movie you might be able to watch on a single charge!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

look it's still a killer feature even if you only use it like once the entire time you have the device!!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

If you don't own an iPhone or iPad already you need to get over your irrational hatred of the industry leader. It's not apples fault they make the best :qq:

seriously like

there are reasons to own non-iphone phones i guess. but stop trying to act like you got the "best" phone. you didn't. the best phone is the iphone. if the iphone doesn't do something you need to do, then you can get another phone, but that phone is still not the best phone, just the one that works for you.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

graphs!! :woop:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

fishmech posted:

by your definition the iphone 4 on verizon was vaporware on february 1st

also literally every product that's been announced and hasn't hit street date yet

lol

had to check and make sure this wasnt a janin post

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Chajusong posted:

2011: The Year of Linux on the Desktop on the Tablet

my favorite part of that review is

quote:

It’s very clear that a $500 tablet is impossible for anyone but Apple to build without cutting corners.

APPLE IS OVERPRICED CRAP THEY HAVE SUCH HUGE PROFIT MARGINS THEY OVERCHARGE FOR EVERYTHING

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

fishmech posted:

ext4 is actually a decent performing file system tho, yaffs was basically just some random open source file system for the internal flash memory that google was using as basically an interim matter.

arent there actual good filesystems designed for flash storage that they could be using instead of ext4, a hack on top of a hack on top of a lovely fs

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Atasi posted:

This is the closest I think they've ever come to talking about it in depth publicly, it's not too detailed but it is neat to see the machines they use to go from solid block to laptop enclosure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFEA_lNAhV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diaQlJmS18

they also took those reporters on tours of their 2 million dollar antenna testing facility when they had that retarded fiasco

also one of the engineers mentioned that the antenna had been tested for 3 years before they stopped letting the engineers answer questions

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

what is this posted:

its like if there's an elephant walking around all the time, and suddenly a giraffe shows up, you're like oh zoo animals, that must be a thing here

whereas if its all normal and you see a giraffe you assume it was carted in from somewhere else because it is very out of place

it is a giraffe analogy

i like this post because it has giraffes in it

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

super stardust hd on ps3 owns so much

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

A "modest 5% market share of Android-based tablets in 2011".

so what, that's like six units?

really shooting for the moon there.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

android based tablet market

i plan on capturing a modest 10% market share of unicorns in 2011

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Ryouga Inverse posted:

really shooting for the moon there.

Janin posted:

Way to shoot for the moon, Dell.

im glad im not the only one that thought that exact thing the minute i read that sentence

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

unfortunately the other person that thought it was janin, so it's kind of a pyrrhic victory

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

it's hilarious that they've settled on "android-based tablet" as the new thing that everyone's not making.

for a while everyone was saying "media tablet" when it was obvious they really meant the ipad but just didnt want to acknowledge that there isn't anything in that category that isn't the ipad

now they are defining their success metrics by the market share they have of tablets that aren't the ipad.

you can't make this poo poo up

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

"Also we feel that our features are better than the iPad but we don't really know how. Just a feeling."

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Look I mean you can watch videos on the iPad and you can watch videos on our tablet

also you can run apps and stuff i guess

oh and browse the web!

see?? totally competitive.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

graph posted:

dualcore and still can't solve interface lag lol

but i thought the solution to all problems was just to throw more hardware at it???

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

qirex posted:

I really wonder how long it's going to be for the rest of the electronics industry to finally begin to understand that confusing consumers with 80 million specs and numbers and slightly different product versions is short money

but look it's really easy for us to just slap some commodity hardware in a case and throw a commodity os on there and sell it. why would we spend money doing anything else? i mean, everyone else is doing that too, so it can't be wrong

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

johndis posted:

ahhh well honestly there was a point at which the tech specs were working even though consumers as a whole didnt really get what they were buying (people confusing ram and hdds etc etc), and this poo poo is still kinda working in the hdtv market.

at the time the tech specs were the main thing, like you could compare things based on tech specs and the one with higher numbers was better

this was also the period where you would basically have an obsolete piece of poo poo six months after you bought anything, though

but now consumers have figured out that the tech specs don't matter because in general the numbers are close enough to make no difference and when the numbers are wildly different most of the time it's because one of the vendors is gaming the system somehow

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I remember I once convinced myself a Rio Karma would be better than an iPod... never again

i bought a creative zen once it was basically a 2.5" hard drive with a faux metal shell and the worst loving interface and the worst loving software.

yes, worse than itunes

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

seriously what non-entertainment software package needs more than 9GB of install and couldn't be replaced with download on demand

probably all of them, given that they need more than 9gb of install

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Hm yeah let me just pay full retail for the privilege of downloading this 20GB program

hm yeah let me just pay full retail for the privilege of getting some bits on a physical flimsy piece of plastic that must be either shipped to me through the mail or purchased from a physical store that I have to go to, and will never be used again once the bits are copied to my hard drive, instead of sending me the bits through the bit pipe i have connected to my computer

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

but i really want a piece of lovely plastic that will probably get scratched up and be completely worthless in a year!!! this is definitely worth the impact on the environment from the physical transportation of bits

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also you certainly can't purchase plastic discs in bulk packages of 25 or more that you can put the bits onto yourself, saving at least 24 more trips to the store or whatever

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

no you dont understand the bits are warmer when they come off plastic, the internet removes all that character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

johndis posted:

in all honesty i am willing to pay a little bit more for fast, high quality digital distribution than some piece of poo poo packaging/media that just adds friggin clutter, but im thankful everyone else says digital stuff should be cheaper heh

the only reason you think digital stuff should be cheaper is because you are devaluing the product because you dont think it's "real" if you don't get a bunch of physical paper and plastic with it

sometimes digital stuff should be cheaper, like when you can't resell it, or when a significant part of the cost of the item is the physical material

the former case applies frequently, the latter case only applies with actual printed material

but all other things being equal, if you're just getting a bunch of bits, those bits should cost the same whether they're delivered over a wire or through the mail