Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
do libraries pay more for books than bookstores? like video rental places used to pay more or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
their handling of flash on tablets shows they could certainly port photoshop with no problems

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i've never downloaded a video directly onto my iphone, do people do that alot or what

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
amazon's going to make only profitable android tablet by dropping all of google's services and selling poo poo themselves

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

amazon isn't stupid enough to drop all google services, unlike barnes and noble.
speaking of, has the nook color sold well/expanded b&n's book sales at all? it seems like it combines the worst features of both tablets and e-readers

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Pissflaps posted:

Tabbed browsing in Safari is poo poo on ios. When it's fixed in ios 5 there will be no point using an alternative browser, until then I can see why somebody would want to.
adblock is kinda nice, dont wanna waste my precious 3g bandwidth. at least on iphone.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
work gave me a lenovo android tablet to gently caress around with. it's big and bulky and stuttery but it has a stylus that works in like one app. are there any actual android tablet apps? everything i've gotten is just a phone app stretched out.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the stylus has a little clicky button on the side that does ??? wirelessly so it makes sense it needs a battery.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i dunno seems pretty clear what each model is when you see them

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Glumwheels posted:

How do you rationalize buying a kindle over an iPad?
eink owns
unless you're talking about the fire in which case price i guess? i wouldn't get one though

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
apple does ok with their ipod line i don't see how having different easily discernible models is an issue unless you're blind and the person trying to describe them to you doesn't speak your language

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i want ipod do i get ipod touch or ipod shuffle or ipod nano or ipod classic augh too confusing for me

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

how does it work help

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Don Lapre posted:

Wait, isn't all the video supposed to be streamed onto the amazon tablet?

"7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off."
it's got 8 gigs onboard maybe you can cache stuff or something

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
great but woefully not awesome

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the mcrib patty without sauce is a disturbing sight
also pickles on bbq (not mcrib because no one should eat mcrib in the first place) is delicious, sorry about your broken taste.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Baloosh posted:

And I bet you're the type of guy to eat beans in his chili too.
meh i could go either way with red chili, but beanless green chili is the best

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
single-motion panoramic seems kinda cool is there an app for that yet

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
cool thanks

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
android phones can't really advertise like apple (even if they worked like apple) because there's another dozen phones by a half dozen manufacturers that look just like whatever they're advertising, so they've basically gotta go for name recognition. i'm not convinced that chicks fighting robots is the way to get that but hey

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Vagrancy posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/26/ice-cream-sandwich-design/

matias duarte gonna burst forth from the heavens, fix android
at least he's got the right idea, how long until he's railroaded out or quits in disgust?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
wait was iphone really $499 on contract or was that off contract pricing?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Proteus4994 posted:

Yeah, there's CM7 if you really want to sperg out, otherwise you get what you pay for.

Also there'll probably be some decent Amazon-made apps and a few things here or there but yeah it's not for tableting at all
what is tableting beyond browsing and reading and watching some videos
edit i forgot about angry birds but i'm sure the fire has that

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

duTrieux posted:

oh holy poo poo i want to hit that person so hard, you don't even
life has already hit that person harder than you ever could

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
also the uncomfortable vibe she was giving off was not due to her choice in phones

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

right

google is an actively bad curator of user experience

launching android the way it launched will eventually be viewed as one of the greatest mistakes in modern business. they have damaged their overall business by creating android and failing to curate it, and compared to what they could have instead gained by being a service offering for good experiences, it's tragically bad
i mean android sucks but it doesn't suck worse than most products, and it seems to have done pretty much what google wanted it to do by gobbling up market share and providing them with advertising loot and intelligence at the expense of profits for everyone else. It's not everything it should or could be but I don't see android being viewed in the same light as the Kin or AOL-Time Warner or anything HP has done recently....

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

NINbuntu 64 posted:

somebody explain to me the appeal of a wearable tv.
no one knows you're watching animes

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
multi-billion dollar patent trolling is the best kind of trolling

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

rotaryfun posted:

Hahaha really? Apple is the king of patent trolling.
i'm aware?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

tcp ip fanfic posted:

bitesms is supported by ads after a 14 day trial for. yep, an ad-supported sms application that only works on jailbroken phones. who uses sms when google voice exists anyway?
i bought bitesms for my 3gs, my secret shame. although i regret nothing that app owns and would still own on the 4s, apple should really just make it the stock messaging app. maybe without all the sms via internet crap in it. and google voice seems ok but changing my phone number is a bigger pain than it's worth and now there's imessage so .....

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

golgo13sf posted:

This is how my iPad is used when I have people over.

"Here, pick some tunes for the playlist, pass it around"

*Music plays through AirPlay to speakers

Everyone converses and socializes like a bunch of non-shutins
is there an app that people can queue up music on their own phones to play on the house's speakers, kinda like a jukebox? that'd own

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

raruler posted:

That's what iTunes DJ does. You use the Remote app on your iPhone and you can request/vote for tracks.
does it only play from the itunes library, or can each phone play from their own library too?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Fun new android bugs of the day.

1) Phone will download calendar from exchange but appointments added or updated on the device will not sync back to the server. User did not tell us about this issue for months so now he has tons of calendar appointments that are only on the device and if we remove and re-add the exchange account they will be lost.

2) If you send out a meeting invite from your phone, you cannot edit that item from either Outlook or the device. This has apparently been around for 2+ years.
we had a similar issue with the droid 2 (but for some reason ONLY the droid 2, other androids don't do it) where if they got a meeting request on their phone it turned them into the meeting organizer so they couldn't accept it because they're the organizer and the organizer doesn't need to accept a meeting

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
edit i missed the thread

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
samsung shows incredible timing with this one

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Chajusong posted:

lol

in 2008, Apple sold more iPhones than in 2007
in 2009, Apple sold more iPhones than in 2007 and 2008 combined
in 2010, Apple sold more iPhones than in 2007, 2008 and 2009 combined
in 2011, Apple sold more iPhones than in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 combined
:aaa:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
android threads have jumped the shark

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Started the Exchange 2010 migration, most of the Android phones broke because they are terrible pieces of poo poo that either can't handle a cname change or the server changing even when the SSL cert is valid for the new name. Iphones switched over seamlessly without a single failure.
hey i just went through that! androids worked after the migration but they couldn't download attachments until the exchange account was wiped and readded to the phone. on the plus side, once they were readded the newer androids could set out of office which is kinda neat i guess.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

I didn't even know that was a potential problem, I guess I'll let the exchange guy know to look out for it. As for "new androids", are we talking about runs running 4.0 because I think we have maybe a handful that are even up to 2.3.4 at this point
there's one guy with 4.0 here but no, the others were still 2 something or other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i mean if you really want to make your portable tablet not so portable by hooking it up with cables ityool 2012 then you can get an ipad hdmi cable but really just get a boxee box or use an xbox or something