Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Use this thread to talk about gambling on combat sports, whether it's MMA or boxing or K-1 or whatever else.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Shogun's around +160 against Jones. I'm not sold on his standup yet, and I think over the course of a five rounder Shogun's gonna find the opportunity to light him up sometime.

At UFC 127, my favorite underdog pick is Jorge Rivera. He's a serious underdog at +275, but Bisping's perennially overrated. Rivera's standup looked really crisp in his last fight and he hits really hard.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
PSP Coleman losses
Fawker: $20
MassRayPer: $100
Save Russian Jews: $150
osama bin diesel: $50
Roadtard: $15
Malachamavet: $15
Bubba Smith: $20
Who Gotch Ya: $100
mobn: $20
attackmole: $20
OG KUSH BLUNTS: $20
Gourd of Taste: $100
BossTweed: $10

edit: I have never been prouder to lose money because a man won't wrestle

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

GSP is -555 on my book. I think that'll probably still move a hundred or two south by the end of april :lol:

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ForbiddenWonder posted:

gsp is -555 on my book. I think that'll probably still move a hundred or two south by the end of april :lol:

what the hell is shields at?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i bet on griffin getting injured

i won $5

:twisted:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
How do you guys feel about betting on overdogs? I've always figured if they're over -150 or something it's just not worth the risk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I don't bet real money on MMA, but:

kensei posted:

e: also mega-lol at a treazn name drop in the OP!

kensei fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 10, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

attackmole posted:

How do you guys feel about betting on overdogs? I've always figured if they're over -150 or something it's just not worth the risk.

Favorites are usually the best bets on any sporting event because people like to bet on underdogs (and the over on over/unders), essentially for the reason you describe in this post.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Save Russian Jews posted:

what the hell is shields at?

+405. I can't believe Machida is such a huge favorite (-335) against Handy. The big question in that fight is weather Couture can get within clinch range before getting picked apart.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The biggest problem with betting on MMA is that fighters are stupid and even if someone has a clear path to victory they will often decide to do something else entirely and lose.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

attackmole posted:

imo MMA is just too unpredictable to bet on overdogs, but I'm a bad gambler so don't pay me too much mind

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

K8.0 posted:

The biggest problem with betting on MMA is that fighters are stupid and even if someone has a clear path to victory they will often decide to do something else entirely and lose.

the biggest problem with betting on MMA are the athletic commissions and the people they appoint to judge fights.

I would like a section devoted to how retarded parlays are. betting on mma is pretty stupid, but doing parlays on mma fights is like frank mir putting on 25 lbs of muscle over a summer then trying to cut 60 lbs in a month levels of retarded.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

I would like a section devoted to how retarded parlays are.

Feel free to post one!

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Any infamous lines from old fights? I just started looking at lines like a year ago for fun.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

ChampRamp posted:

Any infamous lines from old fights? I just started looking at lines like a year ago for fun.

the sokodjou fights against rogerio and arona both had him as massive underdogs. serra/gsp and werdum/fedor were also huge upsets

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah I think Soko was something like +1200 against Lil Nog, by betting odds I'm pretty sure it's the biggest upset in MMA history.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

ForbiddenWonder posted:

+405. I can't believe Machida is such a huge favorite (-335) against Handy. The big question in that fight is weather Couture can get within clinch range before getting picked apart.

i think the big question is how can you possibly think randy, who couldn't take down and control big nogueira or vera, and got knocked down by big nogueira, is gonna be able to avoid getting KOd by machida

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I got 10 bucks on Sergei at -125 this weekend which I think is way lower than it should be, I think 9 times out of 10 Sergei beats Arlovski

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also, this is a ridiculously good, in-depth op. I'm glad I deferred.

FantasyMissionForce
Jun 21, 2009

Rocky? This is a military action! He's not suitable!

Bundt Cake posted:

i think the big question is how can you possibly think randy, who couldn't take down and control big nogueira or vera, and got knocked down by big nogueira, is gonna be able to avoid getting KOd by machida

if he doesn't get KO'ed he'll probably win any decision because he's Captain America and my hero

AXE BODY SPRAY
Aug 16, 2000

Gomi Pile posted:

the sokodjou fights against rogerio and arona both had him as massive underdogs. serra/gsp and werdum/fedor were also huge upsets

I'd say more interesting are if any lines were just way off and the underdog absolutely styled on the favorite instead of flash KOs/subs.

Also explain your napkin math you used to get the "if x fighter would win y% of the time, its a good bet"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
the lines were pretty goofy on anderson v leben and franklin, also recently the line for Carwin v Mir was real goofy and i made like 50 bucks

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The only big overdog I have ever bet was Couture vs. Toney. I bet a pittance and won a very slightly bigger pittance.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bubba Smith posted:

I would like a section devoted to how retarded parlays are. betting on mma is pretty stupid, but doing parlays on mma fights is like frank mir putting on 25 lbs of muscle over a summer then trying to cut 60 lbs in a month levels of retarded.

I'm over the hump now that Miguel has won. If Fedor, Overeem, or Barnett loses then the comedy factor will outweigh the loss of my 3 bucks.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Also let me just point out how perfect the Thonglor thread tag is for this thread.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also let me just point out how perfect the Thonglor thread tag is for this thread.

I was wondering on when we could use it, and boom this thread comes up.

:golfclap:

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Bubba Smith posted:

the biggest problem with betting on MMA are the athletic commissions and the people they appoint to judge fights.

Always bet on MMA

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
MMAjunkie.com has an eight-part guide about betting on MMA. I don't gamble (but I've always been interested in reading about MMA and football gambling/handicapping), so I can't really assess if it is quality information, but I thought it was a good read for someone who doesn't know much.

MMAjunkie used to have a writer, Eric Foster aka Performify, who would make picks before big events and whose columns I usually enjoyed. As far as I know, his last column was prior to UFC 121 where his one pick was betting 7 units on Lesnar at -140, so perhaps he died from shame. Does anyone know if he writes a similar column elsewhere, or of any other sites that currently feature similar columns?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

:siren: PRO TIP :siren:
:siren: PRO TIP :siren:

Don't take other people's advice in regards to betting, especially from freaking MMA 'journalism' websites

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If I recall correctly seven units on Lesnar was only one in a long line of shockingly bad picks

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I don't bet that often but I'm up about 3 times on my initial stake. my last big win was a parley on gsp to beat kos on points and aloevera/miller to finish. i put a small amount on jorge over bisping and some on fitch to decision penn into sot to submit siver

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
For MMA betting that is real money (sorta) without consequences, https://www.centsports.com is pretty fun. You get 10 cents to start, and you can do moneyline bets and parlays on MMA/K-1/other supposed "real" sports. It lets you have fun and prove your MMAth skills.

You will also use 4-letter words over a nickel.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My interest in the MMAjunkie/Performify columns wasn't about how correct he was in his gambling picks, but rather that he attempted to analyze the fights from a gambling perspective, rather than just simply making a pick as to who he thought would win. I know all MMA "journalism" is pretty terrible, but I'm just curious if there are any other sites that regularly analyze fights from a gambling perspective.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

attackmole posted:

Shogun's around +160 against Jones. I'm not sold on his standup yet, and I think over the course of a five rounder Shogun's gonna find the opportunity to light him up sometime.

Wait, I'm not an MMA junkie (yet), but I thought Shogun was really, absurdly good. Is Jones that good, or is he overhyped because of how easily he won his last fight?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

Wait, I'm not an MMA junkie (yet), but I thought Shogun was really, absurdly good. Is Jones that good, or is he overhyped because of how easily he won his last fight?

jones has momentum and hype behind him, shogun is very good at striking and jiu jitsu but wrestling (specifically takedown defense) is a huge weakness of his that jones could take advantage of. shoguns also coming off an injury, which is when hes had some of his worst performances in the past. its mostly a case of styles making fights, jones shouldnt be as much of a favorite as he is though imo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Great White Hope posted:

Wait, I'm not an MMA junkie (yet), but I thought Shogun was really, absurdly good.

Shogun has had some really spectacular performances and some very lovely ones. Some of the lovely ones were from holes in his game, some of them were due to injuries, some were a mixture of both. Jones is a wrestler with a good top game, which is not a particularly good matchup for him, and he's coming back after being out for a year with a knee injury.

I think having him as the underdog is a little off given the serious experience advantage he has over Jones, but there's a lot of unknowns going into this match and "really, absurdly good" is a serious overstatement regarding Shogun.

EDIT: :argh: drat you, manyak

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I Internet-know Performify from him modding another board. He was very good at identifying way off lines in ye olden days when such things existed just by being intelligent, but his actual MMA analysis isn't really all that great. Now that the way off lines don't exist, he's only real good at predicting line movements. And he doesn't even discuss MMA over there anymore, I think he's just out of the game now.

His MMAJunkie/FIGHT Magazine guide was good four years ago, but except for the mechanical stuff is extremely outdated.

FWIW I think Jones as a slight favorite against Shogun is about right and wouldn't touch that line with someone else's money.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

HATE MONDAYS posted:

fatherdog posted:

I gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. Now to bet on Shogun because I always ignore logic on centsports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FantasyMissionForce
Jun 21, 2009

Rocky? This is a military action! He's not suitable!

Great White Hope posted:

Jones is in over his head the UFC threw him in the deep end. He hasn't fought anyone with striking or jiu jitsu half as good as Shogun's he's gonna crack under the pressure, bet big on Shogun he never cracks under the pressure (especially not his knees)