Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

caiman posted:

A stupid newbie question:

In the OP it says "The "slightly," unfortunately, is enough to make nearly every sports bet unwinnable over the long-term." Can someone elaborate on this? Let's say I started betting on UFC and I always put money on the favorite. Why wouldn't I be likely to come out on top in the long run?

The house is going to try and make a little money every fight. If you kept betting on favourites you'd probably make small profits until you lost it all in an upset and considering it's MMA upsets aren't uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I'm guessing there is also a size limit so the script writers can't drop a million on a sure thing?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

wooger posted:

Does anyone expect that carbon monoxide accident to affect Werdum's cardio?

I think Hunt's fists are going to have a bigger effect on Werdum's cardio.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

jase1 strikes it big in vegas

Are you guys going to be nice to jase from now on if Hunt wins?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

n8r posted:

Wait...
Do you have some mysterious system where you both make money? How's that work?

Bookie places bets with other bookies at different odds (Hedges bets)?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Managed to get $150 at even odds with people at work. Easy money, was thinking about hedging it on the bookies but didn't bother in the end luckily.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

jase1 posted:

Don't know if anyone cares or not but I met Robbie Lawler the other day in a totally random way and what an amazing dude. If you know my history in this thread I made a poo poo load of money betting on him and I got to tell him a few tales about that and he seemed really cool. I thought I might be bothering him and was trying to wrap up the conversation but then he changed the subject to asking more about my gambling and we ended up talking a lot about this thread and all the ridiculousness that went on especially when I won like 30 grand off that fight a few years ago. All in all I probably talked to him standing on the street for about 30 minutes and I couldn't believe how nice of a guy he was and didn't seem bothered at all that I approached him.

That's a pretty awesome random encounter. Don't be lulled into betting on him again Askren though ;)

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

jase1 posted:

5k on Poirer @+250

Jase1 you beautiful bastard!

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

jase1 posted:

2k on Lewis @+350

Thread name still accurate.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

jase1 posted:

2k on Kyler Phillips @+125
2k on Megan Anderson @+600
5k on Adesanya @-235

Glad you're not listening to goons for bets this week Jase.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Congrats Jase, only one fight down and it feels like we just saw the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

God drat! I know he's 47 years old, but its freaking Anderson Silva....

https://twitter.com/_FIGHTING_WORLD/status/1583947111594590209

Paul's team have shown they are quite astute at picking opponents for him. So while I agree they likely know something we don't know.