Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«53 »
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

Dude EXACT same poo poo with my network with the same router. Is your phone a google device? Supposedly Google cast services on google phones might be flooding networks with multicast packets.

quote:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/262237-chromecast-google-home-may-overloading-wifi

redeyes fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2018 around 15:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

redeyes posted:

Dude EXACT same poo poo with my network with the same router. Is your phone a google device? Supposedly Google cast services on google phones might be flooding networks with multicast packets.

Ohh that's makes sense - it actually started when I updated Android on my Galaxy S6, when the wifi stopped working I assumed it was the update until I saw that my TV, laptop, etc also couldn't connect, so I figured it must be my router and the update was just a coincidence. I guess I'll keep my phone's wifi off at home until there's a fix.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Phayray posted:

Ohh that's makes sense - it actually started when I updated Android on my Galaxy S6, when the wifi stopped working I assumed it was the update until I saw that my TV, laptop, etc also couldn't connect, so I figured it must be my router and the update was just a coincidence. I guess I'll keep my phone's wifi off at home until there's a fix.

Update all the apps on the phone for starters. I think I did that sometime yesterday and my wifi has been solid since.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pendent posted:

In the next six months we're still going to move to an ASR since as an organization we just don't feel like we can trust Mikrotik for anything really important anymore.

This seems to be the lesson you learn with MikroTik over and over again.

It's a strange beast of a product. It does some stuff really well and then finds ways to ruin your network due to Bestest Latvian Engineering.

I still have a soft spot for the goofy little things and just bought a hEX for use at work as a stunt router. It gives me a ton of programmability and tricks I can do for $30. Not too shabby.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Where are you folks purchasing your MikroTik gear from? I've been getting it on Amazon, but I'm now interested in shopping distributors to see if they can provide better pricing. r0c-n0c seems to be one.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

I've always bought from Tom at roc-noc.

Two other places I'm aware of but never bought from:

https://www.balticnetworks.com/
https://www.ispsupplies.com/

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks for the information.

So, uhhh, noticing a weird issue that's probably a new(er) bug. I haven't seen it in versions prior to 6.39.3. I have the scheduler set with a scheduled item. It creates an entry in the firewall addresses list that shouldn't expire for one hour. The scheduled item is set to run every five minutes regardless. I've been watching the scheduled item run, it creates the firewall addresses entry and the addresses entry starts counting down from one hour. After about one minute, the item disappears from the addresses list. It's now completely gone until the scheduled item runs again after five minutes. This cycle keeps repeating. The configuration hasn't changed, only the router firmware. Anyone seen this?

Or better yet: what's the ideal configuration for safe remote winbox access that won't break? just allow all connection attempts but use a strong password?

edit: I think this will work better- http://wiki.bluecrow.net/index.php/...g_address_lists

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2018 around 18:56

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Thanks for the information.

So, uhhh, noticing a weird issue that's probably a new(er) bug. I haven't seen it in versions prior to 6.39.3. I have the scheduler set with a scheduled item. It creates an entry in the firewall addresses list that shouldn't expire for one hour. The scheduled item is set to run every five minutes regardless. I've been watching the scheduled item run, it creates the firewall addresses entry and the addresses entry starts counting down from one hour. After about one minute, the item disappears from the addresses list. It's now completely gone until the scheduled item runs again after five minutes. This cycle keeps repeating. The configuration hasn't changed, only the router firmware. Anyone seen this?

Or better yet: what's the ideal configuration for safe remote winbox access that won't break? just allow all connection attempts but use a strong password?

edit: I think this will work better- http://wiki.bluecrow.net/index.php/...g_address_lists

I just allow connections from a couple known addresses.. with a strong password.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

I have that expiring problem. A few people posted on the MikroTik forums with no answer.

IIRC time is accelerated but not displayed that way. It was roughly 7 minutes for either 12 or 24 hours, don't remember which. So an address list entry with a 12 hour expiry would disappear in 7 minutes.
edit: you could probably set your expiry for 120 hours and get roughly what you need

thebigcow fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2018 around 05:04

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

thebigcow posted:

I have that expiring problem. A few people posted on the MikroTik forums with no answer.

IIRC time is accelerated but not displayed that way. It was roughly 7 minutes for either 12 or 24 hours, don't remember which. So an address list entry with a 12 hour expiry would disappear in 7 minutes.
edit: you could probably set your expiry for 120 hours and get roughly what you need

I actually just got rid of the expiring scheduled task entirely and replaced it with a script and an entry in scheduler that's set to run the script every ten minutes. This is the script. It looks for an entry in the firewall address list and will update it to reflect the new IP resolution to the FQDN. Working well so far.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

So MikroTik released information for their new hAP AC2 model (https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2). Only problem is when you dig down into the specifications, it sounds . It looks more like an OK replacement for the hAP AC Lite but that's really it. The hAP AC2 has no PoE out, no triple chain Wi-Fi and no 5GHz wireless statistics/tests. I like how it runs on ARM architecture, but that's about it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Yeah thats a downgrade for most people. On the other hand, I have zero triple chain devices.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

The hAP is a pretty sweet looking device. Is Mikrotik Wi-Fi better than it used to be?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

What do you mean better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

The hAP is a pretty sweet looking device. Is Mikrotik Wi-Fi better than it used to be?

It's still great unless you compare it to ubiquiti or stuff that costs 10x as much.

«53 »