Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah I wonder how many of these are lovely WISPs that just left the LAN interface exposed to the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Inept posted:

Yeah I wonder how many of these are lovely WISPs that just left the LAN interface exposed to the internet

A lot of WISP are run by old men who know radio but don't know poo poo about routers.

I wonder about the amount of overlapping 192.168.88.1 IPs on most of them-- without even firewall rules to block RFC1918 IPs from going up a customer's radio.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I grabbed a CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe to play around with.

The physical SFP28 interfaces will not get a link (won't even show what SFP module is attached) if they're set as pass-through to a disabled virtual interface. I spent quite a while wondering if my DACs were incompatible with this device before I realized what was going on.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Make sure the firmware is up to date on random bugs like that, not just the RouterOS version.

My RB3011's ether1-4 is randomly dropping when doing high bandwidth wired transfer speeds, it looks like the CPU can't keep up or such. I put in some Fasttrack code to my firewall and maybe it will get better.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

Make sure the firmware is up to date on random bugs like that, not just the RouterOS version.

My RB3011's ether1-4 is randomly dropping when doing high bandwidth wired transfer speeds, it looks like the CPU can't keep up or such. I put in some Fasttrack code to my firewall and maybe it will get better.

I had a similar issue with my RB3011 except in my case it was ports 6-10 constantly flapping during high speed transfers which I assume was the switch #2 getting reset. Turning off CPU flow control helped without having a noticeable impact on throughput.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ax2

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've never understood why some of their devices are Passive PoE input and others are 802.3af/at.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That looks like a good amount of hardware for 90 bucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does look good, I have no need for Wi-Fi in the router box so hopefully we get a revised Hex as well. Can’t really justify the cost of the 5009.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
I have no understanding about all the poe stuff. But, based on specs, would this hAP ax2 be able to power hAP ac2?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
What's the big selling point of the ax2 vs the RB 4011?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What's the big selling point of the ax2 vs the RB 4011?

It's a lot cheaper and smaller, with wifi (and wifi 6). It seems like the RB4011 with wifi (this one, anyway) is MSRP $275 vs. $99. It's got a similar form factor to consumer router, instead of a 1U rackmount device, so it might be good as a home router that's not as garbage as lot of them are. If I was running mikrotik gear at home I'd consider one of these as a WAP if I wanted wifi 6 since Ubiquiti can be a little flaky on both stock and support. I doubt I'd get a RB4011 unless I knew I wanted that many ports on a router that also had my wifi.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

MikusR posted:

I have no understanding about all the poe stuff. But, based on specs, would this hAP ax2 be able to power hAP ac2?

Probably. The ac2 lists a max power consumption of 16w, and the ax2 gives out 16.8w, so on paper it should be able to power it. If using the ax2 to power another device, you'll need to use the DC power adapter (only eth1 does PoE In or Out).

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Ugh thanks for pointing out the ax2 when it's out of stock everywhere I've looked. Would be a nice replacement for my hAP ac.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's out of stock everywhere because it's not been in stock yet, it's brand new

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Thanks Ants posted:

It's out of stock everywhere because it's not been in stock yet, it's brand new

:cheers: I'm not sure why I thought I'd just read that it was announced in March.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Actuarial Fables posted:

I've never understood why some of their devices are Passive PoE input and others are 802.3af/at.

Passive PoE is incredibly easy to engineer - there's no technical negotiation being done (like there is for 802.3aft) to feed power on the line, so you can just take the pins on the motherboard and feed them to your power supply. The power is basically "always on". It was a hack done when speeds were 10/100 and only used 4 of the 8 wires, so companies pumped 48v on the unused wires. (Unifi used to also have 24v passive poe to make it more complicated/worse)

When gigabit became ubiquitous companies spent the 0.02c and bought the 802.3af/t breakout chip for the motherboards as the 4 spare wires were now being used.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I guess my main point of confusion is why it seems inconsistent.

The CSS/CRS326 switch takes in Passive PoE, while it seems like all the other CRS3xx devices that accept PoE-In use 802.3af/at.

The CRS309 switch has a 9-pin console port, while all the other CRS3xx devices with console ports don't.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I needed more SFP+ switch ports than the 4 from my CRS305, and the CRS309 also wouldn't cut it (and is also always out of stock whenever I look) so I picked up the CRS317_1G_16S+RM. 16 SFP+ ports should keep me happy for a while. Upgrading to more SFP+ ports allowed me to remove a bunch of cat6 cables that were in LAGs, simplifying my setup and freeing up a bunch of space (and PCIe slots).

There's two 40mm cooling fans and I was concerned that the noise would be intolerable in my home office/lab, but they don't run when the temperature is low enough and there's a decently sized external heatsink. So far they've only spun when the switch is booting. The switch has internal power supplies so I don't have to work around a DC wall wart in my cramped cabinet, unlike the CRS305 and CRS326.

Other than the BRIGHT BLUE LEDs on the front that I've taped over, it has been a good switch so far.

e. It came with a little MikroTik sticker and a... no trash sticker

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 26, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ax3

A bigger form factor seems to enable much faster performance out of the same CPU, somehow. I want this, but apparently ordering a hap ax2 right now gets delivery sometime around January, so it's probably summer 2023 to actually get a hap ax3.

Edit: The ax3 even comes with RouterOS license level 6, not that something like this could really use the extra capabilities over L4.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They will be allowing the ax3 to burst to higher clocks than the ax2. Main difference is the 2.5Gb interface.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’d love for them to like… let me buy a 5009 to try it out. I want to give them money, but I haven’t seen it in stock anywhere and it is like at an inflated 200% markup on eBay.

My RB3011 definitely having the baked in hardware failure of the entire switch chip failing if I transfer too much data too fast on like ether1 through 5

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

They're backordered to heck, I think most places are expecting them in like January if you wanted to place a preorder

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I remember seeing them for preorder on Baltic for expected delivery in like July when it was February, and thinking that was a long rear end time into the future.

I might as well just preorder now since Jan is like less than 3 months away now!

That is… if that July order actually went through for them?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I was looking at one for fun but they're out of stock and i had an immediate need for a silent thing i could set up a bunch of tunnels on for some dumb poo poo so i ended up getting a hEX. i'll need something better when we theoretically get fiber out here next year but for now this is sufficient for the connection available

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I recently installed a HAP AC2 at a place I thought had a 50Mbps connection. Turns out ISP forgot to turn on the throttling so it was unrestricted fiber. The HAP AC2 with the normal firewall stuff was routing via cable at 950mbps, and via wifi I got about 400-600Mbps. That did surprise me, generally these are assumed to be kind of not-great, but for $70.. win?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sounds like a win to me, that's what you can expect to measure on gig ethernet and for the wireless that's what I consider a reasonable result for 802.11ac given real world poo poo

Personal victory, the little hEX i bought is handling the fixed wireless connection just fine and it let me set up the assorted tunnels that I need to access work stuff (a lot of them, but low traffic and rarely more than 2 or 3 at a time) all while being silent :toot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd quite like a hAP ax2 but don't need the Wi-Fi, and proper PoE in would be a nice to have. Basically an RB450Gx4 but 1. available and 2. in a box.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd quite like a hAP ax2 but don't need the Wi-Fi, and proper PoE in would be a nice to have. Basically an RB450Gx4 but 1. available and 2. in a box.

Yeah, I've been wishing they'd update the hEX with the guts of the hap ax2 minus wifi, but it's not like the hAP ax2 is that expensive in the first place.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was very very happy with the RB750Gr3 upgrade from the prior version. I went from lovely 60/10 cable to 300/300 fiber for half the cost. Backup, restore, bing bong.

Every so often the speed caps don't work and I can easily grab close to a gig from it. Unfortunately COVID, supply chain, etc has raised the price of everything, but it's still a steal for $60.

There's a package on Amazon with one of these:

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGPOE

I don't know what the "power source" is

They also apparently make

https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RBGPOE-Converter-Power-RouterBOARD/dp/B00I4QJLPM

which is unfortunately a bit much for what it does but it's an option if you want PoE in.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The lower end mikrotiks don't have proper PoE, they have passive bs. Meaning even if you were to power off the PoE input, it wont do proper PoE (non passive).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mikrotik products are the type that if you could combine 50% of two products into a new device they would be perfect.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Mikrotik products are the type that if you could combine 50% of two products into a new device they would be perfect.

Ahh, the Ubiquity solution!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They’re pretty well suited as is for their application . Not intended as a home user device but if you know what’s up then they’re a good value .

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Today I found out that MikroTik sells branded merchandise. There's the usual t-shirts, stickers, and tote bags that you would expect, but there's a few interesting items that seem to be specially designed for the MikroTik enthusiast.

:nws:, no nudity but you probably don't want anyone to see you looking at this https://merch.mikrotik.com/products/groove-boxer-briefs :nws:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gotta wear something if you're going non-nude into one of Lativa's many saunas.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a massive kick out of that. Thanks

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Just a warning. Don't update to 7.9 if you use wifiwave2.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Interface comments/descriptions in 7.9 are now inline instead of being above each line, so maybe I won't configure the wrong interface when using the web interface now.

e. I guess there's no way to timg attached images

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
My hEX is still showing 6.49.7 as the latest stable version. Should I be upgrading manually to the 7. whatever branch?