Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I'll take the hundy pounder and fries, thanks.
Hi all,

For the sake of learning, I've bought myself 2 RB751Gs. One's running my home network and I'm doing some testing with the second one.

One request I often get is an easy to read web monitor, or at least a traffic breakdown by IP or MAC - so a user knows how much traffic each host has passed over the WAN.

What's the best way you guys have found for doing this with the mikrotiks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

A monitoring program like Cacti does a great job of pulling info from the router and summarizing it for you. http://docs.cacti.net/plugin:mikrotik will help you work with your new gear.

Thanks! I'll take a look at this tonight

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
So, a problem for me has been monitoring internet use.

I've seen a lot of people ask about it but nothing has really come out as completely useful, so I thought I'd share my current solution and ask for advice.

Basically, all I do is have 2 mangle rules for each direction - First rule, is pre-routing source address of the PC for upload, and second rule is post routing destination address for download.

At then end of the billing cycle you can reset these and go from there.

This means that you just assign each DHCP lease as static, create your rules and you can see who's hogging your internet. This is usually fine in a home environment with only a few users but I'd like something a little more.. robust.

Is there any way to do this by mac address? Or at least without making a heap of mangle rules?

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks very much for this, I've just set it going and will see what it gets but it looks pretty good.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
This is going to be a bit of a derail, but I'm looking at helping setup a small hotspot system for a sailing club/marina.

I'm looking to use a system that processes payments but allows the club to issue free tickets for some members and have control. I'll need 3 or 4 boxes, and am hoping to use mikrotik boxes because of the great service I've had from them.

I'm looking at something like https://www.hotspotsystem.com to manage it, dose anyone have any thoughts on a provider like this?

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

If you just need basic hot spot and payment processing functionality, Mikrotik can do that itself. Install the optional user-manager package, ideally on a separate unit (or one of the APs in a pinch), get PayPal integration and the ability to print up coupons.

The user manager package is a bit quirky (the Web interface isn't that hot, for instance) but if the budget is tight it's certainly usable.

Thanks for the suggesting, I'm trying this now, with a single RB751U-2Hnd as a proof of concept. Unfortunately the Wireless performance on this model is a bit crap but it's what I have lying around so it will have to do.

I'm pretty excited, once I got it up and running it seems like it dose 90% of what I want.

If they like it I'll also have to setup an ominitik for the marina which will be interesting.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

I plugged an Asus RT-N66U into my RouterBoard 750GL to use as a wireless AP

How can I connect to the Asus to configure it? I went into the router DHCP server and tried assigning an IP to the MAC address for the Asus manually but the DHCP status in Winbox just says "waiting" even after restarting the router a few times.

I take it you're using the Asus as a router and having the wan port on it connected to an internal interface on the microtik?

Don't do it that way. You want it to act as a bridge. You won't be able to connect to it through its wan port.

Reset the Asus and plug into it on its internal LAN. Logon anf make the wireless changes you want, turn off dhcp and give it an IP outside the scope of the mikrotiks range eg .253 is what I often use.

Plug them together on their internal ports and you'll be good to go. Its easier than writing this post.

Edit - you got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I've got a RB2011 which is working fantastically as a router for a charity.

I'm looking to setup the hotspot functionality on it (with AD as the radius server, It's going to supply the hotspot to about 150 active volunteers) however when I try and configure the hotspot and look in the router's files all I see are empty folders.

I've tried factory resetting the device and uninstalling and re installing the hotspot package to see if that replaces the files, is there anything else I can try?