Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I have a RB750 connected to a Netgear DSL modem, the RB750 handles the PPPoE connection for AT&T. Yes, I hate it.

But, I have this problem with Amazon where half the time the page will not load. I do not notice this ANYWHERE else, but Amazon. I've tried turning off IPv6 with no improvement, I've tried loving around with MTU, no improvement. I'm using Google's DNS settings.

What else should I try to get Amazon to load correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

I take it you've tried with multiple computers behind your router to show that it is the actual router having the problem?

Multiple computers, multiple browsers. Happens on tablets (no adblock), happens on my Wife's work laptop.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

thebigcow posted:

Are you using the RB750 as a caching DNS server? There was a problem with RouterOS ignoring the ttl set by DNS servers and using something longer that kept coming up with Amazon and sites hosted on their infrastructure. Search for Amazon on the MikroTik forums and I'm sure you'll find some details.

I personally have not had any problems, ymmv.

I am using the RB750 as a caching DNS server. I'm looking at the MikroTik forums but man do these people talk about Amazon AWS a lot.

I didn't know about the firmware upgrade vs. OS upgrade, did that, but still having some issues. I tend to stay on the latest OS releases in general and this problem has persisted since I moved here.

PPPoE to Amazon through DSL from AT&T. Google's DNS servers. RB750GL on 6.23.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Just set your DNS on your local machine to Google's temporarily to rule out / confirm a DNS issue with the Mikrotik.

Did exactly that after my last post and still weird behavior. Basically if the pages from Amazon load they'll freeze or get stuck half way. This is what makes me think it is a network issue of some kind, like some kind of packet/pattern/etc. is getting lost and the whole thing just shuts down.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll be heading to China sometime next month, I think it'd be awesome to go ahead and setup a VPN system to connect back to my home (and real internet) from my laptop and phone. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on setting up that server?

Or should I just spend 10 bucks on private internet access or similar?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Need some advice, using an RB750GL as the home router. Finally, FINALLY got upgraded to 150/7.5 cable internet, with the hope to move to 200/20 once they finish up deploying around these parts.

That being said, it LOOKS like my RB750GL is the bottle neck on getting the full 150 out of the wire, and I'm sure there is something wrong /w my config.

code:
/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=forward out-interface=ether1-gateway src-address=192.168.1.30
add chain=input protocol=icmp
add chain=input connection-state=established
add chain=input connection-state=related
add action=drop chain=input in-interface=ether1-gateway
/ip firewall mangle
add action=jump chain=postrouting connection-mark=!no-mark jump-target=markpackets
add action=jump chain=postrouting jump-target=markconns
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="Mark ACK Little" new-packet-mark=high packet-size=0-123 passthrough=no protocol=tcp tcp-flags=ack
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="Mark SYN Little" new-packet-mark=high packet-size=0-666 passthrough=no protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn
add action=mark-packet chain=markconns comment="Mark new SYN Packets" connection-state=new new-packet-mark=high passthrough=no protocol=icmp
add action=mark-connection chain=markconns comment=XBOX new-connection-mark=high passthrough=no src-address=192.168.1.40
add action=mark-connection chain=markconns dst-address=192.168.1.40 new-connection-mark=high passthrough=no
add action=mark-packet chain=markconns comment=DNS new-packet-mark=high passthrough=no port=53 protocol=udp
add action=mark-connection chain=markconns comment=HTTP dst-port=80 new-connection-mark=web passthrough=no protocol=tcp
add action=mark-connection chain=markconns dst-port=8080 new-connection-mark=web passthrough=no protocol=tcp
add action=mark-connection chain=markconns comment=HTTPS dst-port=443 new-connection-mark=web passthrough=no protocol=tcp
add action=mark-connection chain=markconns comment=Uknown new-connection-mark=unknown passthrough=no
add action=mark-connection chain=markpackets comment="Mark Big Connections - Do this in Mark packet because they're already High/Web" connection-bytes=524288-0 connection-mark=!low new-connection-mark=low protocol=tcp
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="Mark Packets" new-packet-mark=high passthrough=no protocol=tcp tcp-flags=rst
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="HIGH -> HIGH" connection-mark=high new-packet-mark=high passthrough=no
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="WEB -> MEDIUM" connection-mark=web new-packet-mark=medium passthrough=no
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="LOW -> LOW" connection-mark=low new-packet-mark=low passthrough=no
add action=mark-packet chain=markpackets comment="Unknown -> LOW" connection-mark=unknown new-packet-mark=low passthrough=no
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="default configuration" out-interface=ether1-gateway to-addresses=0.0.0.0
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat disabled=yes dst-port=223 in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.1.50 to-ports=3389
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat disabled=yes dst-port=443 in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.1.50 to-ports=3389

/queue tree
add limit-at=8M max-limit=8M name=Omega parent=ether1-gateway priority=1 queue=default
add limit-at=2M max-limit=8M name=Low packet-mark=low parent=Omega queue=pcq-upload-default
add limit-at=4M max-limit=8M name=Medium packet-mark=medium parent=Omega priority=6 queue=default
add limit-at=2M max-limit=8M name=High packet-mark=high parent=Omega priority=1 queue=default

I feel like I'm missing something dumb, like I need to add a simple rule to only mark packets going outbound through the queue or something like that.

Edit, added an "out-interface" to gateway for my jump to mark packets rule and CPU usage on a speed test fell from 95% to 9%, while still queueing up on the upload portion of the test correctly. Please let me know if there are other obvious things I'm missing here while I've got my config out.

Typical queue tree to shape upload bandwidth into low, medium, and high. Do a mark connections into the low medium and high, then mark each packet as it comes in based on its connection class.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 6, 2016

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

I use a ton of RB750's at work, and yeah they are not really good at above 100Mbps speeds on routing mode.

Get an RB3011, it has double the CPU and way more ram, it will probably do you just fine.

When I do Mikrotik-to-Mikrotik bandwidth tests, RB750s crap out at like ~150-250Mbps. RB3011s can do the full ~980Mbps on their gig ports.

So I've got a 750GL doing to "hard work" of connecting the home network to the internet. So, would a 750Gr2 be an upgrade? Or a 2011? I'm not super stoked about having a larger rack mount piece of equipment on the desk.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

It would only be an upgrade if you're being bottlenecked currently. How quick is your Internet connection?

Like two posts up.

FunOne posted:

Need some advice, using an RB750GL as the home router. Finally, FINALLY got upgraded to 150/7.5 cable internet, with the hope to move to 200/20 once they finish up deploying around these parts.

That being said, it LOOKS like my RB750GL is the bottle neck on getting the full 150 out of the wire, and I'm sure there is something wrong /w my config.

Typical queue tree to shape upload bandwidth into low, medium, and high. Do a mark connections into the low medium and high, then mark each packet as it comes in based on its connection class.

With some tweaking I'm getting closer to 120, but still that last 30mbit eludes me. A 50 upgrade is more palatable than a 150 upgrade. But I could stomach it if the 150 will last me into the 200+ bandwidth they are supposed to eventually roll out.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

Non-rack mount model is probably twice the size of an RB750, since it has 10 ports instead of 5. If you're doing legit routing just use it over a RB750 for anything more than 100Mbps speeds.

I don't think they have a non-rack mount version of the 3011, or at least, I'm not seeing it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

You're right, I guess I was thinking of the CCR1009.

The RB3011s are like maybe only 3 inches deep, by 5-6 inches wide of actual motherboard. The rest is completely hollow just to make it fill out to a rackmount width size. It's crazy, they feel even lighter than CRS125s

It would still take up a big chunk of desk. What about the 2011s? I wish there was a real way to get performance measurements out of these items. The general "benchmarks" are pretty worthless.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
You can also enable graphing per port and segregate traffic by port if needed.

I use the accounting in Unifi controller to keep an eye on my WiFi and everything else gets a dedicated port.

But, really, does it matter? You can pull connection info from the Mikrotik if something is going crazy. Just pull up active connections and sort by total data.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

alyandon posted:

WRT does it matter - yes it does. It's trivial enough to notice if something is going absolutely crazy and identify the culprit but I really want to have the historical information on a per-IP basis available for review after the fact. The Unifi controller does help me manage the wireless stuff since I'm using their AP but it doesn't help with the wired stuff.

What about routing each ip through it's own child queue and graphing those queues? Maybe that would work?

Might have to assign static IPs to everything and write a bunch of rules.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Off topic for this thread, but does anyone know if the Routers from Ubiquiti are able to do basic traffic shaping? I'm thinking of replacing the whole setup at work to get much improved WiFi, but with an office of people working with cloud services I need something to fair-up bandwidth usage.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is this a safe space to ask about Unifi gear as well? I recently upgraded the house to add a second AC-Lite AP, but on both of them I have ~20% utilization on the 2.4ghz spectrum (according to the dashboard) basically all the time. Doesn't seem to matter what channel I set it to, and the port stats from my router don't show meaningful traffic.

Any idea what I could be seeing?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

That's frequency interference/overhead. Did you set transmit power to low/mid to 2,4/5?

I have 2.4 on Mid & 5 on High.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I guess if it is mostly interference then my decision to go extra APs to maximize 5ghz was the right call.

I wish it was more clear that the channel isn't necessarily busy "receiving" from clients but from neighboring APs chatting up the channel. I'm in the suburbs and lovely-cable-modem-WAPs occupy 20-40% of every channel in 2.4

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Partycat posted:

It's the same thing. If there's a frame there that the receiver can decode it has to listen to it and not transmit over it. So decipherable 802.11 frames are going to be channel utilization.

Right, but showing that in the dashboard as interference (dropped frames) instead of Rx would be more 'clear' about what is going on with the channels.
Especially since getting per-client information is a PITA with the dashboard as it is now. Are my devices chatty with each other or is someone else stomping on my BW?

Unfortunately, the answer is "get devices onto 5ghz because you can't make your neighbor's APs shutup"

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I've just replaced my Mikrotik with a PFsense box (I have 100/100 fiber) and before I was unable to max out my upload most of the time, maybe got 60-70mbps and chalked it up to my ISP. Now with PFsense I get 110/110 even any time of the day which leads me to believe somehow the Mikrotik was limiting my bandwidth. Thing is the Mikrotik has a 700mhz single core processor and was showing at most %60 CPU usage with me running speed tests. What gives?

What model? How many rules did you have? Did you enable fast path? etc.

Hardware from a few years ago with a complicated rule setup probably easily overwhelm the device even at modest bandwidth. I had to upgrade to a newer RB configuration when I got my 150 in because it would cap out with anything fancy going on, which, of course, is why I bought the drat thing in the first place.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've got a UniFi question if anyone can help. I have two AC-Lites, one bought when they first came out, and another bought in the last month or so.

The one I bought in the last month seems to have better reach and range. Did they update the antennas? I can see a pretty noticeable board revision difference, but I don't see enough of their hardware to know if they've really gone through that many versions or if they just updated the number.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah the new AC lite is basically a whole new AP and is actually good. The 1st gen ones are absolute trash.

edit: i meant v1 not gen 1. although the gen1 UAP are pretty bad.

Board revision 18 vs. 33?

For the most part, the home network is perfectly fine now that I have the APs mounted on both sides of the house. Everywhere gets 5ghz, but I do notice that most of them are on the 'new' AP even if it is farther away.

I guess the correct thing to do is wait for the AC-Lite 2 or AC mega-pro or whatever it is that comes out next to consider upgrading the 'old' one.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
What, this ISNT the Ubiquiti thread?

Has UBNT fixed their routing offerings? It seems like for a while their normally priced devices couldn't really push any routing volume with features enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
My hEX is still showing 6.49.7 as the latest stable version. Should I be upgrading manually to the 7. whatever branch?