Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel sorry for people mashing “update” in RouterOS and just expecting everything to carry on working.

meh... sometimes you're the ip, sometimes you're the tables.
I feel bad for the people who just inherited a mess of poorly implemented mikrotik as edge devices in some shoddy small business network architecture who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and have a boss who caught wind of the article, take it upon himself to winbox into all of said devices and mash update buttons without notifying anyone beneath him(or her.)

Also MikroTik did cover this like 3 months ago, so I feel like that's enough lead time to have sorted things out, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

redeyes posted:

My ISP does carrier grade NAT and has their network configured like poop. I can run Winbox on a computer connected directly to the ISP and it finds their CCR1016 Cloud Core router. *sigh*

And the firmware is older, from last year. Oh boy.

I had this same issue with either Level3 or Windstream, I can't remember which. This was like 4 years ago. For shame.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Partycat posted:

Windstream was like joker ISP so yeah if there’s someone who would have done that I’d say them. Level3 seemed professional at least.

Fun fact: we had them both as "redundant" ISPs in case one failed we would have the other.
Windstream was using level3 for their last mile anyway so every time poo poo hit the fan with L3, we were hosed anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FunOne posted:

I've got a UniFi question if anyone can help. I have two AC-Lites, one bought when they first came out, and another bought in the last month or so.

The one I bought in the last month seems to have better reach and range. Did they update the antennas? I can see a pretty noticeable board revision difference, but I don't see enough of their hardware to know if they've really gone through that many versions or if they just updated the number.

Yeah the new AC lite is basically a whole new AP and is actually good. The 1st gen ones are absolute trash.

edit: i meant v1 not gen 1. although the gen1 UAP are pretty bad.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 11, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
^^yeah? I don't know the board numbers offhand.

I will say this. I kinda wish I had 2 Lites instead of one pro. But I'll just get another pro and everything will be peachy. Ubiquiti does the hand off really well between. APs so I'd be comfortable with one in the foyer and another in the basement.
Right now it's in the office and I get wifi all the way down the drat street.

Anywho... Which one of you is going around patching everyone's routers?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-mysterious-grey-hat-is-patching-peoples-outdated-mikrotik-routers/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 13, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896193

So long mikrotik. It's been nice knowing you. I'll be over in the Ubiquiti thread if you need me.

E: oh poo poo what a terrible page snipe. I'm sorry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

falz posted:

Strangely I found one of those at Goodwill next to a Linksys for like $2, sold it on eBay for about what you're asking.

drat that is fantastic!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

EdgeRouter stuff was OK, I think you can tell they have no software people left though who know what they are doing as everything they release seems to have show-stopping bugs in. Mikrotik have their own issues with having to run everything on an ancient kernel because god know why but they can't seem to get the hallowed ROS v7 out the door.

I gave up with the 'enthusiast' routing platforms because it was just more hassle than it's worth, and I prefer Junos.

I am so glad I didn't hold onto my CCR in the expectation of having ROS v7 released.
Junos is pretty great actually and we even use their Pulse Secure software at work. I don't know why they didn't buy into the hardware as well, but I suspect it having something to do with the people making the purchases not knowing anything except cisco.

I couldn't see myself trusting UBNT in an office environment. It's laughably buggy.
I'm still salty about their cameras/NVR software being completely hosed and not adopting cameras or not being able to record more than a couple at a time. I bought into their ecosystem got my house because the UI looked super easy to navigate and the phone app + cloud key meant I could manage settings from anywhere. The idea was to implement something that even the wife could figure out if I died. Something that was more 'management by mouse click' and less :
code:
MMM      MMM       KKK                          TTTTTTTTTTT      KKK
  MMMM    MMMM       KKK                          TTTTTTTTTTT      KKK
  MMM MMMM MMM  III  KKK  KKK  RRRRRR     OOOOOO      TTT     III  KKK  KKK
  MMM  MM  MMM  III  KKKKK     RRR  RRR  OOO  OOO     TTT     III  KKKKK
  MMM      MMM  III  KKK KKK   RRRRRR    OOO  OOO     TTT     III  KKK KKK
  MMM      MMM  III  KKK  KKK  RRR  RRR   OOOOOO      TTT     III  KKK  KKK

MikroTik RouterOS 4.5 (c) 1999-2010       [url]http://www.mikrotik.com/[/url]

Terminal xterm detected, using multiline input mode
[admin@MikroTik] >
I have a USG-PRO, US-16-150W Switch, and US-24-250W Switch, a UAP-AC-PRO, and a CloudKey, and that seems to work well enough for my home. I need to get a couple more wap's and reconfigure the house so that AC works a little better and all rooms are line-of-sight from an AP though.
On the up-side I have a metric gently caress ton of PoE ports now, a gateway with honest to god ISP failover (but unfortunately no IPS or IPD because I like my network speeds to be over 30mbps) that is pretty intuitive and easy to figure out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Yeah that seems to be a pattern with Ubiquiti-- from a compatibility level, it's typically best to stick to one product line to cover all of your needs (UniFi or EdgeRouter.) Both product lines have their advantages/disadvantages. As an exception, the UniFi APs work fine with EdgeRouter gear. I ended up converting from a MikroTik hAP AC to a regular USG, nanoHD, US-8-60W switch and CloudKey G1. My USG overheated once and my CloudKey ate through multiple microSD cards, but those are the only serious issues I've had. Minor issues were related to creating/editing JSON configurations (really, Ubiquiti? why do we still have to do this with UniFi?)

At some point I'd like to migrate the controller to a VM and ditch the CloudKey, but it's been working fine so I'll just wait until it dies.

Why not migrate and sell the cloudkey?

Anywho I just read this and found it interesting:
https://medium.com/tenable-techblog/routeros-post-exploitation-784c08044790

Why had I not heard of Cleaner Wrasse before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Probably a long shot since this thread hasn't been ping'd in like 5 months, but if anyone is interested I found an RB2011 hiding in my bin of routers.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896193