Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Just how good is their hardware? I've been looking at the RB493G for one location, which claims to be entirely gigabit ports. Will I be able to pull off fully gigabit connections? The locations needs 4-5 uplinks and 2-3 LAN ports (all behind a NAT).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

R1CH posted:

I've been running an RB750G (same CPU) for a 50/5 connection with a lot of NAT and shaping rules. Can easily max out the downstream with low CPU usage and I've seen full 100MB/sec transfers over the LAN. The switch ports can either be assigned as a switch (all four ports act like one to the software) or individually - if in switch mode, LAN traffic is handled entirely by the hardware, otherwise it passes through the software which can impact CPU usage on the lower end models. You can certainly do full gigabit routing throughput on a single port, multiple gigabit streams through multiple ports might benefit from a higher end model.

Sounds nice! There typically won't be multiple streams, but being able to burst gigabit and not kill the rest of the network at the same time is extremely compelling.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
New newsletter, new gear: http://download2.mikrotik.com/news/news_61.pdf

Tiny access points! 802.11ac router! I don't understand why the CRS109 is marketed as a switch if it's running RouterOS, isn't it just a router with a lot of ports?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, interesting. I've only used the switch functionality on the RB1100 and it seemed fine, is this one supposed to perform better?