Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just got a RouterBoard hEX, to replace a BT Homehub 5. I am happy with it.

Things I like:

1. A lot of configurability. For example, I can change the DNS, which you can't on a HH5.
2. It was a doddle to get it to take data from the new Netgear DM200 DSL modem I got to replace the modem part of the HH5.
3. It's nice and small.

Things I sort of dislike:

1. Having to google where to find things in the UI, e.g. where do I see all the clients connected to it with their IP addresses. (after a bit of googling, I now know it is inside IP --> DHCP Server --> Leases.).

Things I have done so far:

1. Set a password.
2. Added PPPoE settings to get internet into it from my modem.
2. Disabled the "get the default DNS from your ISP" (I don't want it defaulting to BT's DNS if my OpenDNS entires do not work, it was not intuitive to figure this out, needed googling why it was showing "dynamic DNS" entries after my OpenDNS IPs specified, wtf...).

Any recommendations for any other changes I should make to it for a small home, which has 5 APs, 1 24 port switch and about ... 15 devices in total connected to the network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU