Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
So I am being pushed into more of a networking position at work due to the change in direction of business. Work is putting me through my CCNA what not due to this even though I will mostly only touch Mikrotik stuff seeing as I wont be touching the core for a long time which is what we use the Cisco gear for.

Anyhow we primarily utilise the X86 images as virtual routers for private setups for big customers which is what I have been doing for the past month or so. As a bonus work sent me to the MUM that was held in Sydney the other week. What a fantastic day!

Long story short I fell in love with the RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN while I was there and work picked me up one for free to test and play with.

What a brilliant piece of kit for the price (free)

The MUM itself was pretty good, some of it was a bit...meh but most of it was alright. A few talks on the API, monitoring with centreon and also some security stuff. The discussion about pushing into universities with Mikrotik training was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
If I want to prioritise only one service over all others I believe from my reading that I can simply mark that traffic with a new mark, and have everything else not marked and form the queues around that?

Im still reading and I am new to networks in general but it seems thats the theory. I can then say everything that is marked with X should receive priority while everything else should just share what is left over.

In this case I need to work on ensuring RDP has priority over people saturating my link.