Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is the configuration of the dhcp of these devices pretty robust? At the moment we are using a bunch of so/ho routers, some with DD-WRT. We use a Windows servers for dhcp that usually I can dhcp-relay to. The problem is that on dd-wrt you can't relay from vlans (I don't think).

I'd like to start segregating our network while still utilizing our dhcp server. I see the wiki on some of this stuff, so it seems possible; Tell me if this is stupid, because I'm only really an amateur at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm trying to segregate our LAN somewhat at the moment. We have over 100 devices or so all on the same subnet, 192.168.2.0/24 . I don't know if it's related, but we started having our so/ho routers crapping the bed. I got it in my mind that I would fix this through segregating into subnets, and separate unsecured wifi. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this, or if it's even needed?

I got a 10port + wireless routerboard, and it's pretty sweet. I need some help on how to accomplish setting this up.

So our entire network is attached to (unmanaged,cheap)switches throughout the building, then connected to our router/gateway which is 192.168.2.3. We have a Windows Server that does DHCP, file and print sharing, etc on 192.168.2.10

We have a central switch I think I can replace with the Routerboard. It will have 4 switches attached, which are the switches I want to subnet. I can assign addresses to interfaces like (WAN) 192.168.2.1, ether3 192.168.3.1, ether4 192.168.4.1, and ether5 192.168.5.1. I can then assign dhcp-relays to our central dhcp server, or I can just replicate the dhcp server's settings for WINS, DNS,etc. That should be able to segregate our museum, planetarium, and art gallery into subnets and connect to our gateway.

My hang-up is how should I route the subnets? I can bridge the interfaces, but from what I'm reading bridging forwards broadcasts, which is what I believe I want to cut down on. I assume this is a NAT issue, should/can I just turn NAT off, or should I forward all 192.0.0.0/8 ?

I only want them isolated from broadcasts, I still want them to be able to connect to each other, or atleast be able to connect to the server.

I'm in the middle of trying to learn a bunch of this stuff, so tell me if what I'm doing is idiotic

darkhand fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 8, 2013