Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Okay, I'm feeling really stupid, and this is driving me crazy. I bought a 493G, and I'm trying to set it up. I have the cable from the modem connected to ether1. I have my desktop connected to ether2. I'll deal with wireless configuration after I can get the physical LAN working, which hasn't happened yet.

I can get ether1 to get a proper IP address as a DHCP client. I cannot get it set up to serve an IP address to my desktop. Should ether1 or ether2 be the DHCP server? Also, I've been using Winbox, which doesn't matter to me, but why isn't the router found at 192.168.88.1 as a default for webfig?

I understand everything conceptually except for this part. Maybe it's just me, but this is the part that seems to be missing from the "Anypony" guide - which cable is connected where before starting. In the guide, is ether3 the local computer, or the WAN?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
In the ether1/ether2 confusion, I had misconfigured the LAN address. In the IP Addresses list, I now have the IP I get from Comcast assigned to ether1, and 192.168.88.1 assigned to ether2 (previously, this was also set to ether1, which clearly didn't work). This then let ether2 properly act as a DHCP server. Once I disabled and re-enabled the LAN connection on the desktop, I had an internal IP address.

Edit: Bridging did the trick! Thanks!

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 16, 2011

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Okay, this is driving me insane, and fast. No idea what happened Sunday night, but my wireless starting behaving oddly, so I rebooted the modem and the Mikrotik RB793G router. After, nothing would connect to the Internet. So, I wiped the settings and did it again, still nothing. Concerned that I screwed up something with that, I pasted my export from right after I set it up before. Still nothing. Said screw it, and plugged in an old Netgear router. At first it wouldn't get an IP address, but if I rebooted the modem, it would.

Today on a whim, I plugged the Mikrotik into the Netgear and ran a cable to my laptop so I could test it while having internet access. If I shut off wireless and used the cable, it worked. Unplugged everything, plugged the Mikrotik directly to the modem, turned it all back on, nothing.

What the gently caress.

modem - mikrotik - computer = no internet access
modem - netgear - mikrotik - computer = internet access

Image of the settings:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7932649/mikrotik2.jpg

Export file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7932649/mikrotik%20wtf2.txt

Please help! I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I'd like to know what's wrong so that I come away from this having learned something, not just having fixed it.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 1, 2011

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

The_Franz posted:

If ether1 is your WAN port it shouldn't be bridged with your wlan and switch ports. Try taking it off of bridge1.

Delayed response due to travel, but thanks! This was it.

Also, not testing when Comcast is being stupid is pretty helpful.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have an RB493G at my parents house, and it's on 4.14. The only issue is that it seems to dislike my touchpad running cyanogenmod. I have an RB751 set up at my place, and it's on 5.11 or something. This works fine with the touchpad, interestingly enough. What's the risk of upgrading the 493 to version 5? It would be great to not have to hook up an old unencrypted ap every time I stop by.

When we move, I'm going to have to justify a new 493, I can tell a difference with wired connections, the 493 is just more responsive. The 751 is definitely better than other home routers, though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks guys! Looks like the 493 can go to 7.x, so I'm good for a while.

Is there a guide for upgrading, or is it just in their wiki? Or is it "push button, wait"?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
poo poo. The process to 4.17 went fine, the process to 5.19 has not. I don't get the double beep, and WinBox doesn't see the router. Suggestions?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I had a few rare problems with 3.x to 4.x upgrades, but never one that couldn't be resolved by power-cycling the router.

If you've already done that, you might want to go read up on network boot, and maybe dig out a serial cable.

Yeah, I had to run out, but I'm looking into network boot. Apparently I don't have any serial cables on hand. It's been power cycled a number of times now.

Thanks

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I dropped the files into WinBox, and was using a wired connection for that. I guess it could be a bad download, I didn't check that first. :(

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

CuddleChunks posted:

Alarbus - :( I'm sorry this went buggy on you.

Now is the time for fun. Plug in with a serial cable, check the boot sequence. I had to recover a board once from that level and it was goofy but well-documented. You go in, set the boot order to be Netboot. Setup your pc with the netboot software and a known good firmware. Reboot the machine, let it perk up and borg itself with new firmware. It should then boot normally.

Don't forget to upgrade the routerboard internal firmware as you go.
/system routerboard upgrade

Yeah. I did the firmware upgrade after 4.17, and that came up fine. 5.19 didn't go so well. It beeps once, which tells me that it at least isn't hard bricked, but apparently the serial to usb adapters locally were not the proper gender. Now waiting on an Amazon shipment.

I'd probably be less cranky if I hadn't also had to have nine sutures removed today, from a nasty cut on my pinky from a beer glass breaking while washing it. What a pain.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
So, this isn't going well.

I have a USB to serial adapter, and a serial cable. Both PuTTy and HyperTerm can see serial adapter and open a connection on COM5. I've tried 9600 and 115200 baud, with the parity, stop and flow control set correctly. Both applications give me a blank window on boot up. :(

It beeps once, and there's the faint click shortly after, but nothing else. I'm not sure what else to try, since I can't get the serial console to come up with ANYTHING.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, after I wrote that, I moved everything to the desktop and tried again, no luck. I initially tried it with 9600 baud, but moved it to 115200 based on the Mikrotik docs.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have Netinstall open, but the device doesn't show up. Is there a trick to using it that I'm missing?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I've tried both reset buttons, and just double checked the settings in PuTTY and HyperTerm. I sent an email to r0c-n0c, hopefully I hear from them soon.

I mean, it COULD be something between the usb-serial adapter, but that's brand new, and the f/f serial cable, but that's also brand new. I'd prefer to avoid buying more poo poo from Staples. I checked the order history at r0c-n0c, I bought it October of last year. I still have warranty left, right?

Edit: Called Tom at r0c-n0c. Serial cable is not crossover serial cable (null modem). Throwing more money at Amazon for overnight. Hopefully I can fix this tomorrow! He said that as long as it beeps once, you can fix it, but you have to use the serial cable to get it to trigger netinstall. Woo.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 15, 2012

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Double post, but IT WORKS.

Buy a null modem cable folks, that was a five minute process with the right part. Despite my screwing around with the wrong part, this was probably the easiest repair process ever. No wonder everyone was confused when nothing I did worked.

Thanks guys! Also, props to Tom at r0c-n0c for answering the phone while on the road and making sure I understood the whole process.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

thebigcow posted:

How well does the wireless work after its been shoved into a rack full of metal stuff?

Well, the RB751 has a spot for an external MMCX antenna, he could (should) just be running that out of the metal.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking to put my RB493G on POE rather than the extra AC adapter. Anything I should look for in a POE injector? Are the Mikrotik ones that r0c-n0c sells good? I'll presumably want gigabit to get more than 10mb upstream to the modem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have a RB751 that I've been using in my apartment, and I think I'd like something a little more robust. I was looking at the RB850Gx2, but I'm vaguely put off by the PowerPC chip, and there are/were some packet size issues. My other contender is an RB493G, which is what I set up at my parent's house some time ago. It's a model that's been around for a few years, but it's certainly more robust. Edit: I'd be buying a new unit either way, the original 493 is staying at my parents - it covers their house and workshop really well.

I have a Ubiquiti wifi bit to handle that, so I wouldn't need to add cards to the 493.

Any strong thoughts about either?

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 10, 2015