Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

I read a rumour about a unit like the RB750G but with a built-in N wireless card coming out soon. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it.

Although I do see this on page 1:

Nubile Cactus posted:

Also looks like they will be releasing a 750G with wireless built in soon as a sort of more advanced home AP. Should be pretty awesome once it comes out.

Would love to know how long I'd have to wait for this to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

More access points is always better than one gigantic AP. Unless the other two APs were WDS I would stick with three. If they were WDS, then either wire them or start looking at some really good antennas.

E: and you don't need unifi. Just get some Bullets and connect them onto your existing omni antennas (they are N connectors, right? if they are SMA antennas then I would agree that yes, your previous APs were dinky.)

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

unknown posted:

Anyone had the chance to play with the new 2011 series boxes?

http://routerboard.com/RB2011L-IN
http://routerboard.com/RB2011LS-IN (w/ SFP port)

Ordered one to see how it performs. Still no Jumbo frame support though. Ugh.

I'm using a RB2011 as a core router for a small business office and the wireless campus it supports (wireless hotspot). Currently there are about 200 active hotspot accounts authenticating to the built-in RADIUS server, about a third of which are MAC addresses (for cell phones, office laptops and so on). The router is performing well and is better suited for the job than the $3000 SonicWall NSA3500 we had previously, and for approximately 5% of the price.

The only complaint I have is that with the license level the RB2011 comes with, you can't do RADIUS accounting for this many people (it stops working at 20 active sessions). Authentication only.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Looks like routeros 6.1 has a fun bug where the DHCP server hangs with 100% CPU and doesn't hand out any more addresses. Emailed their support, but I'm sure the response from support will be to upgrade to something that has been tested even less extensively. There's lots of reports on their forum as well about this. How do you even ship something with a bug like that?

(http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74311 the latest point release also has a different 100% cpu bug :golfclap:)
edit: 6.2rc1 had the bug. Don't know if 6.2 does. Who wants to upgrade and find out?

pubic void nullo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 18, 2013

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

support@mikrotik.com posted:

Hello,

please upgrade your router to v6.2 this problem that you encountered should be fixed there.
OK, whatever. Let's see what I'm getting into. Browsing the changelog for 6.2...

quote:

*) fixed bug - sometimes some types of interfaces would stop working;
In what world is this an acceptable patch note?