Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Just bought an RB450G, since my local ADSL exchange is being demolished to build a children's hospital so I'm 'forced' in to getting upgraded to fibre. In preparation for this my ISP sent me the cheapest netgear router, it doesn't even have gigabit ethernet ports.

Looking forward to playing with Mikrotik!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
What I was getting at is the service is 100mbit (which is more like 110mbit apparently) and that was an obvious bottleneck!

I've been playing with my RB450g this morning and I'm all set up!

Anyone got a decent set of rules for QOS in a home environment? I really just need priority for HTTP, skype and XBox live but a nice thorough set of rules would be nice.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

DrCold posted:

Are there any other things I should be configuring on a fresh 750? Clicking through webfig and winbox nothing else really jumped out at me as 'required' for my simple network requirements.

I have a RB450G, interfaces set up the same way + PPPoE client on the WAN port, DHCP server on the 2nd port and NAT. Pretty much all you need for a simple network. I've been playing with QoS but it's not exactly simple, gonna take me a while to perfect it!

I have mine set up with a Ubiquiti Picostation, couldn't be happier!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I upgraded to 6.1 the other day and it appears to have hosed my DHCP server. Oddly some of my devices still get the correct static IPs but some get nothing and fall back to a 169.x.x.x IP.
I tried to set it up again but the command seems to fail (on webfig and winbox the next button just does nothing, and on the console it just sits there after typing 'setup')

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

CuddleChunks posted:

:negative: For gently caress's sake Mikrotik.

Send them a bug report, though don't hold your breath if you need this fixed right away. In the meantime, you can roll back to prior firmwares pretty gracefully. Open up winbox and drag and drop a prior firmware into the Files folder. After transfer, go to System -> Packages and hit the Downgrade button. Reboot and it will reload the older firmware.

I know right..

Thanks - I'm gonna try wiping the config and setting it up again, otherwise I'll go back to an older FW.

edit: Before I had a chance to fix this my internet also stopped working from the devices with static IPs, so I did a hard reset and now DHCP is back and everything is peachy. :iiam:

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2013