Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
This thread is awesome. I work for a small ISP that uses a lot of Mikrotik stuff. I do mostly tech support and PC repair but this thread has helped me start getting my nose dirty when stuff breaks or needs to be reconfigured when our network dude isn't available. Also I acquired a 450G to play around with on my desk.

Question: We use hotspot authentication through a web interface in a couple apartment buildings we provide with wireless. The problem is game consoles. Right now the only way to get them to work is to manually plug in MAC addresses. There has to be a way to get the Mikrotiks to recognize console traffic and let it bypass authentication. I couldn't find any info though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I decided on the RB751 and have been very happy with it. I used to work for an ISP that used Mikrotiks pretty heavily, but this is the first time I've had one at home. I feel like it justified its purchase immediately when I was uploading my music to iTunes Match. My entire connection was capped out. No option in iTunes to limit bandwidth. I fired up Winbox, opened torch, grabbed the destination IP, and added a simple queue, capping the upload to 500kbps. So easy and awesome.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Anyone in here using an iPhone/iPad with iOS 6 and a Mikrotik? I'm having some puzzling DNS issues behind a RB751U 5.7 in iOS 6.0. Nothing is resolving at all, no matter normal DHCP settings or everything static and 8.8.8.8.

Just wondering if this is a known issue or if it's worth more digging.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I feel a bit silly for not keeping up with updates. That was about the least painful upgrade of anything that has ever been.

It had no effect on this problem, but I need to check this iPhone against other access points tomorrow before I waste any more time on this. I was just wondering if there was a quick "yeah this Apple DNS poo poo is broken" or "no I have an iPhone 5 right here that loves my Mikrotik." It's impossible to find any useful info on iOS 6 networking issues thanks to Apple's awesome work yesterday of breaking every single iOS device's wifi for half a day right when 6.0 was released.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Can you give me an example of something that isn't working for you? I've got an RB751U setup with 5.20 f/w running b/g/n and wpa2. It's fresh out of the box and my iOS 5 phone is connecting to it just fine.

My buddy's iOS 6 phone connected up without anything notable happening.

DNS resolution just isn't happening at all. It works fine on wireless networks other than my Mikrotik and works fine over 3G data. This started happening immediately after updating the iPhone to iOS 6.0.

I tried a few combinations of confirming the DNS being fed through DHCP looked normal, changing DHCP to send 8.8.8.8, using a static IP on the device and setting the DNS to the Mikrotik's IP, and using a static IP and 8.8.8.8 on the device. In all cases, I can ping 4.2.2.2 but google.com never resolves.

I'm thinking this is going to be over my head. I tried wiping the iPhone's network settings totally but am not eager to wipe the entire iPhone. I will have to nab another iOS 6 device and give that a shot behind the Mikrotik, I suppose.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I upgraded an iPad to 6.0 as well and have identical symptoms.

When I turn on packet sniffer and ping google.com, absolutely no traffic at all goes to or from the broken iOS devices. Everything looks normal when I ping 4.2.2.2.

edit: I went ahead and reset all of the Mikrotik's settings, and things are fine. If anyone's dreadfully curious, here's the broken config. All of the weird tunneling stuff should be disabled. The only other oddness I noticed was that I was setting the Mikrotik's IP on the wireless and ether2 interfaces separately but to the same IP instead of their shared bridge. :shrug:

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 22, 2012

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Resetting the Mikrotik config and starting from scratch solved the problems.

I was getting 192.168.1.150 from DHCP, which was in the normal range and showed up under leases. N is still on after I reset the Mikrotik to defaults and the problem went away, so I doubt that was it.

If I recall correctly, I didn't use the magic default configuration when I set the router up a year ago, so I may have done something technically wrong that was corrected when I reset it to defaults today. :iiam:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm beginning to think there are some very odd issues between Apple OSs and RouterOS. Since I wiped all of my Mikrotik's settings and started over to resolve the mysterious iOS 6.0 issue, my OSX 10.7 box has started committing wifi suicide about once an hour. The OS still thinks the connection is fine, but I cannot as much as ping the AP. It never auto-recovers in sitting for 30 minutes or so; I didn't test beyond that.

I think I'm going to have to buy a non-Mikrotik AP since I do development work on Apple devices, and this is getting downright painful. :(

edit: After checking in the logs, it looks like I'm having this problem.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 5, 2012

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm waiting a bit, but I'll definitely investigate it further in a few days. The problems were getting in the way of a backlog for my real job, so I just wired everything up I could and used 3G on my phone for now.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I never got around to really digging into my iOS 6.0 issues with my router, but I did notice that Apple just released iOS 6.0.1 which included, "Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks."

My devices having troubles aren't the generations they listed, but I am using WPA2 and haven't noticed the same problems in the week since the update.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Am I still the only person with nightmarish Apple vs. Mikrotik issues? I see tons of people on other forums complaining about the same since iOS 6 on something like 50% of the Apple wireless radios (all Broadcom, I believe.) There are recommendations about changing pre-amble settings and explicitly setting the protocol as 802.11, but all of my Apple devices (MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 4) get 100% packet loss at random intervals between a minute of use and 30 minutes of use even after messing with those settings. Rarely it will fix itself after five minutes or so, but it is always fixed by turning the wireless radio off and back on on the Apple device.

At this point, I'd say Mikrotik devices are totally incompatible with Apple. I'm about ready to throw my Mikrotik out the window and go back to crappy consumer wireless routers :(

edit: to clarify, these issues are all 100% Apple issues. It sounds like the issue now is that TKIP totally breaks Apple devices and AES has a bug that kills the connection after a certain time on half of Apple's devices.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 19, 2013

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I heard that disabling TKIP and only allowing AES helped, though that was likely just for the bug that was fixed in the second iOS 6 update.

I'll try turning off N if I have it on and will report back if it is a miracle fix. It may also be worth reactivating TKIP on the off chance that that particular bug was fixed. I had been ignoring all of these issues by hard-wiring, but I just moved to a place where that will be impractical.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Adding TKIP and turning off G made no difference at all. It looks like Mikrotik and Apple just don't play together anymore, so I get to buy some other AP to setup bridged.

edit: I got some massive improvement on the time between failures by going back to 802.11B/G/N, specifying only long preamble-mode, and changing channels to the opposite end of the spectrum. Only changing the channel made a marked difference, but there isn't a lot of traffic on the original channel that I can see. I'll be delighted if it sticks to the 30 minutes or so between dying that I'm finally getting now.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I can't do N only because I have a PS3 and a receiver that won't cooperate. I've totally given up on using my Mikrotik's radio and will probably not go back to Mikrotik at all once my current router needs upgrading. It's a shame. They're very configurable, but they're worthless when they won't work with any Apple devices at all, at least when you're an Apple developer.

edit: That N configuration did totally solve my issues. I'll try out the mixed mode config and see if it has also dried my wifi tears.

edit again: Nope, mixed mode has the same issue after five minutes or so of use.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 30, 2013