Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
I live in a shared house with about 40-50 people in Japan. We have crazy fast FTTH (200mbps+), but since moving here, getting that data to everybody has been a problem. Finally I've had enough and spoken to the management and discussed ways they could improve the situation, not sure if they'll do anything, but they're a little incompetent.

Our building has 6 floors and they're piping the internet via wireless using 4 different wifi routers. The way the set up is now:

Modem --- Router (Yamaha RTX1100) --- ethernet cable going to the 4 wifi routers that people on each floor access.

The internet doesn't reach its maximum potential at the best of times, and at the worst, just falls flat and crashes. Each wifi router only has a maximum of about 10 or so people connected at a time, and they're all Buffalo wifi routers.

Most of the time the internet just slows to a crawl during the night, I thought maybe somebody gets home and uses all the bandwidth at night, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

The router looks professional (and apparently was expensive), but is a bit old and doesnt support gigabit lines, the GUI is terrible and the telnet commands are confusing and the documentation is really lacking.

I suggested with a place of 50+ people, and more coming, it would be better to have a lot of control and flexibility and suggested having a PC as a router, and so I'm looking into solutions I could present to them.

Would MikroTik work well? What PC specs are we looking at to feed everyone the internet as fast as possible.

I suggested:

Modem - PC Router - Switching Hub sending cables to each floor - Wifi Router spitting out the signal.

Using this, I'd set up QoS on the PC router and it should work correctly, right? It looks like they'd just need a PC with 2 ethernet ports. One for internet in, and one connected to the switch.

How easy would this be to set up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU