Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk

Caged posted:

Right, I have my VLANs nailed down and testing them thanks to some dodgy Realtek diagnostic utility that has let me create multiple virtual adapters on my PC.

However, when I get a DHCP lease it seems to start at the top of the range and count backwards, is this normal? My DHCP pool is defined as 192.168.0.29-192.168.0.254 and with one client connected it gets .254, next client gets .253 etc. It just seems a bit weird.

It's not uncommon, my RB750GLs does the same thing. Depending on manufacturer you can see all sorts of different DHCP behaviour from linearly from the beginning or end of the pool, to truly random and everything in between for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Does anybody have anything bad to say about the RB1200, I'm considering if for a replacment gateway for a wireless network with 60 mbps pipe and anywhere from 10 to 90 users at peak.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
I'll check out the RB1100, I'm currently mostly window shopping Mikrotik after having been pleasantly surprised by the RB750s that I had to roll out in haste when another supplier failed to deliver.

My Mikrotik reseller is pretty aggressive about HS Network Manager in conjunction with Mikrotik hotspots for delivering guest network functionality.

Anybody here tried it ?. It seems on paper and in presentation as a pretty decent solution for managing and reselling Hotspot functionality.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk

Remit posted:

I have a RB1200 at one head end with about 220 customers. At 45Mbps with about 15 firewall rules the CPU hits about 35%. I would go with the 1100ah just to be safe

Yeah, the 1100ah it is. It's not that much more expensive, and choosing just enough is the reason that I have to look around for a decent replacement.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Gigabit injectors are a thing, and I have several decent injectors that arent marked as gigabit capable that also works, the trick is which PoE mode they work in, Mode A uses the data pairs (pin 1,2 - 3,6) via phantom power. Mode B which uses pin 4,5 - 7,8 works fine too as long as the pairs are connected through and the producer has implemented proper phantom power.