Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Generically, DNS under IP would be for the device itself. Under DHCP it is what it hands to clients. It is listed first, the others backup. It probably relays requests to the IP > DNS server, like any home router type thing. Your network hosts should use it first, then the others if lookup fails or times out. I'm sure you can turn off internal DNS server or remove its advertisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

How is your network set up with regards to client authentication ?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

For most things in this market segment they are separate hardware. Yes it could have wireless in it, but as long as warranty isn't an issue you could be running the router portion for a decade without needing to do anything with it. The wireless part, probably not.

My rb750 got accessed via WAN with default admin credential within about 60 seconds of plugging it in, so I have yet to get it properly set up or I would be more helpful here.

Regarding wireless, some devices seem to choose to implement authentication credential wrapping in exciting ways which does not work in many enterprise environs. I don't know why that is but if you can use cert based auth I would hope that gets around that poo poo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is there a way to enable rDNS for IPv6 via winbox? I only see IPv4 attributes and a v6 server is being advertised upstream.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am sure it doesn’t communicate software wise using layer 2. If you’re in the same layer 2 domain you can try and change your workstations address so it is in the bogus subnet with the device. But that also presumed that there will be no jacked up ACLs or other configured or broken items that will block connectivity:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am going to set up some PCQ based queue trees to break up a wan link for user fairness - I’m seeing some comment that if I just don’t set a limit on user queues it will just divide bandwidth evenly ?

Is there a reason to screw with the queue strategy ?

Any comment on performance hit with pcq instead of basic ?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So for a router-on-a-stick type setup, you'd create a bridge with the untagged VLAN PVID on it, add the Ethernet/whatever interface to it directly , also PVID to the bridge's PVID, then you can add VLAN interfaces to other VLANs and connect them to the bridge, then add the VLANs tagged to the bridge to expose them to the Ethernet port?

I've been having an interesting time trying to get my head around this, seems pretty simple and yet I get it where it all stops working until I flap an interface or something, seems like I'm doing it wrong.

e: yeah okay this works fine, just set the VLAN interface as an untagged member of the bridge, and stack on whatever you want. The bridge is actually probably unnecessary for a single phy. Took me a minute to get that the DHCP server is not intelligent enough to understand giaddr = network and that works.

PCQs don’t right now with rate = 0 and max limit set nothing happens .

Partycat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 3, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I had that happen at one point but I was not able to reproduce it reliably - after I deleted my session and started over it was fine .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Partycat posted:

I am going to set up some PCQ based queue trees to break up a wan link for user fairness - I’m seeing some comment that if I just don’t set a limit on user queues it will just divide bandwidth evenly ?

Yes this is what it does

“Partycat” posted:

Is there a reason to screw with the queue strategy ?

PCQ is only PCQ. It worked great though so I didn’t play with anything else.

“Partycat” posted:

Any comment on performance hit with pcq instead of basic ?

Per user limited queues ate like 100% more CPU than global unlimited queue. As there was less queue depth this makes sense.

Ran this at a LAN with 250 users and probably 300 devices on a optiplex 780 with an i5 and while the overall CPU was 40-50% with higher core spikes this worked top notch.

The static DNS regex was annoying to implement but it worked in the end for Steam cache. Epics stuff wouldn’t cache due to cert verification so I’m told.

The DHCP to DNS scripting worked okay, time of day queues worked okay too. Really no complaints for $45 and an old computer.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It's the same thing. If there's a frame there that the receiver can decode it has to listen to it and not transmit over it. So decipherable 802.11 frames are going to be channel utilization.

Turning your power down prevents you from generating as much co/adjacent channel interference yourself, but there's not much you can do about outside stuff other than go higher density 5G which just per how it works propagates less and has additional channel space.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So what’s their future then ?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

im depressed lol posted:

Jesus christ. I use a consumer-grade, non-Wifi Mikrotik device connected to a cable modem for internet access. I'm not a networking guru, but I keep it up to date as best I can and have done basic things like disabling remote administration etc. etc. I also don't use WinBox, but instead use the web interface for administration connected via a desktop & ethernet cable.

Does anyone in this thread feel this use case is not recommended due to the various security issues I see that are constantly cropping up in the past year? I have a few NAT routers & switches connected to it and the device has improved my internet speeds and latency in various applications immensely. Is there a go-to guide on hardening the default configs of various Mikrotik devices?

My own personal security/privacy is no more important than any other random person, but my main concern is unwittingly participating in malicious DDoS attacks and enabling various other evil poo poo due to my ignorance.

No, I haven’t heard of any major issues outside of vpnfilter , but that’s also because of the exposure and proliferation. The Linkskey and Dink-Link devices probably have severe issues but you don’t hear about them, and can’t do much.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had this same issue with either Level3 or Windstream, I can't remember which. This was like 4 years ago. For shame.

Windstream was like joker ISP so yeah if there’s someone who would have done that I’d say them. Level3 seemed professional at least.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

redeyes posted:

Sure its really easy actually. Best thing to do is install the v6 package and reset the device with latest firmware installed. This will setup 'default' working IPv6 firewall rules. Then you need to configure a v6 Client and RA, AND assign a v6 IP to the Interface.

This worked perfectly on time warner/spectrum though I wasn’t able to figure out how to easily serve the box’s assigned v6 address for DNS

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Does that just mean to allow the none auth mechanism ?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sure as hell seemed like they did for quite a while.

They seem to do okay with what they can accomplish, even if it's not meeting everyone's specific ask.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

"If you want to do a out-of-spec length wiring job and all your techs can only do copper termination" This is the GPeR use case. There is a surprising lack of interest in retraining techs from copper crimp/punch to fiber splicing in a lot of firms which historically used copper for every link-type.

Yeah I mean, we have some locations where telephone retrofit has left us with some non-serviceable locations that someone just has to have a computer or IP phone at. These add another point of failure and god help you if you don't somehow document that this thing is jammed in the wall somewhere. We're installing certified Cat6A wiring and this is contrarian to that effort, but these have a place in your Sandman-esque problem solver tool bag.

Fiber optics are going to go as far as you want, assuming you have power availability, and there's certainly a time and expensive in the optics and splicing.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What the gently caress is fiber splicing for the home gamer

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It didn't help that things would break if you enabled tagging or disabled or moved things to interfaces or bridges in the wrong order.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was also thinking about MT, curious if their wireless line has evolved or if they support LTE band 48 yet.

In both cases … no , but they’re still out there.

Hex routers and hAPs still working great

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was very very happy with the RB750Gr3 upgrade from the prior version. I went from lovely 60/10 cable to 300/300 fiber for half the cost. Backup, restore, bing bong.

Every so often the speed caps don't work and I can easily grab close to a gig from it. Unfortunately COVID, supply chain, etc has raised the price of everything, but it's still a steal for $60.

There's a package on Amazon with one of these:

https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGPOE

I don't know what the "power source" is

They also apparently make

https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RBGPOE-Converter-Power-RouterBOARD/dp/B00I4QJLPM

which is unfortunately a bit much for what it does but it's an option if you want PoE in.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They’re pretty well suited as is for their application . Not intended as a home user device but if you know what’s up then they’re a good value .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I believe there are some sample scripts that will do that and set DNS off of the asserted host name for you