Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Atreus posted:

So kind of unrelated to the RouterOS but moreso on the hardware, I was hoping to get an idea or best cost to link up two houses that are about 150ft apart with LOS. Is it as simple as getting two SXT2Lites and pointing them at each other for the physical aspect? Don't wanna blow money on something that might not work when it first gets cranked up.

I was going to give this a try with my LOS network I'm going to set up, they look to be about 100 dollars each and that throughput seems pretty incredible. I'd assume you'd get pretty much the maximum rated with only 150 feet to span.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I'm having a bit of trouble with my 1100ahx2.. I'm getting some port flaps on a couple of my interfaces that start happening roughly 45 minutes after I reboot, then they start flapping on average every 15 minutes or so. I've tried upgrading routerOS, downgrading RouterOS, and changing autonegotiation settings and nothing really has helped (and turning off autonegotiation and forcing 1gbps just makes the port stay down forever).

I noticed that in the recent bugfix release (6.38.7) that there were some fixes in place regarding the ethernet chip, so I was hoping that was the issue, and I installed it. It didn't fix the issue. I have been doing some internet detective work and it sounds like it might possibly be a capacitor issue on the motherboard itself?

I'm not really too enthusiastic about opening this thing up, has anyone come across this issue before and had a solution? Most of the threads about this I've seen online have basically died with no resolution.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

thebigcow posted:

Sounds like you've already ruled out software.

So I did a little digging on my device, and I noticed in the logs that a lot of my devices were requesting DHCP addresses very often.

Some chucklefuck (me) had dropped DHCP lease times to 10 minutes for some reason. I jacked the lease times up to a week, and suddenly my interfaces stopped flapping...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

redeyes posted:

This is just on my home network.. I have no VLANS. 192.167.255.250 belongs to an ISP in Italy...?! Should I be concerned? I'm a little boggled at this.

192.167.x.x isn't a private network address... I guess the only issue I would think you could come across is if you tried to connect to said address in italy, then it wouldn't work.

For future reference, you *really* wanna stick with these:

Class A address range (16 million ish ip's): 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.254
Class B address range (1 million ish IP's): 172.16.0.0 - 172.32.255.254
Class C address range (65,500 ish IP's): 192.168.0.0 -192.168.255.254

Any ranges within those IP ranges I listed, and you will have no routing problems externally from your network.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

redeyes posted:

Quick question. I swear I WAS able to connect winbox with the Mac address on both my p2p antennas, now I can't. The one antenna that has its correct DHCP IP on my subnet can be connected via IP no problem but not Mac. About the only thing I can think that changed was I use a 48 Port (used) HP Procurve switch. Is there something that might be causing this to fail on that switch. I just have it set default basically.

I know I had dumb and lovely advice before (because I'm illiterate and didn't read your full post, apologies)

Technically, if you're able to connect to this thing via an IP address, and you're just connecting via a single switch, something in the chain knows this thing's MAC address..

If your antenna is connected to the switch you can log into your procurve, you should be able to check the arp table on the switch (show arp or something similar) and check the MAC address of the antenna in winbox vs. whatever the arp table on the switch thinks the MAC address is.

At the end of the day, if both your endpoints are connected to the switch without a router or something similar in between, they're communicating with ethernet frames (and hence MAC addresses) regardless.

Do you have all your configs saved? I think at this point the nuke and pave advice would be pretty much the way I'd go as well.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Partycat posted:

I am sure it doesn’t communicate software wise using layer 2. If you’re in the same layer 2 domain you can try and change your workstations address so it is in the bogus subnet with the device. But that also presumed that there will be no jacked up ACLs or other configured or broken items that will block connectivity:

I thought everything crossing the switch was encapsulated in frames? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you don't want to check your arp table on the switch, you could always check it against what you've got on your OS you've got winbox on, run an arp -a and check the IP against the MAC address, it'll look something like this:

192.168.0.1 d4-ca-6d-08-10-fd dynamic
192.168.0.10 00-0c-29-88-38-9f dynamic
192.168.0.229 54-60-09-f3-1f-12 dynamic
192.168.0.247 48-d6-d5-70-ef-5c dynamic
192.168.0.253 00-18-dd-32-1c-80 dynamic
192.168.0.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

Might help you narrow stuff down anyway, since you can connect via IP and not via MAC address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Has anyone used that 4 port SFP+ switch Microtik put out? Any thoughts on performance? I really like the low power draw, and I especially like the idea of getting an SFP+ switch for a couple hundred bucks..