Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I've been playing and learning on mine for a while now. It's capable of a lot of poo poo.

It may have been cuddle chunks who first told me and lead me in the right direction of what was loving up as I tried to configure PPPoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Does the RB750G support UPnP? How would one put together some kind of wireless access with one of these? Would you have to also purchase this to do that? It seems like it has a pretty steep learning curve with WinBox compared to some of the typical consumer routers out there.

Basically yeah for now. . . Post below mentions some of what is to come out, with more end user grade routerboards with wireless built in.

Thats basically what I've got going on. Range is loving sick on it as well.

HangOverDeMayo posted:

Where did you see this?

I'm definitely not a professional but like to try messing with networking gear. I'll probably get a 750G just to start messing around with when I can but I am curious if it's possible to create a consumer-type gateway/router/switch. One with a GigE wan port and 4 GigE ports for the switch but I would also want dual radios for wireless. What would I be looking at to do this with the routerboards?

Also, how does upgrading the OS work?

You can kit out your own routerboard with wireless radios for a chunk more change (still rather cheap). Honestly most people I know just get a base routerboard, and maybe the 750g switch if they want to keep AP's on separate vlans. It's less of a pain than kitting out one single unit.

Upgrading is rather simple.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Upgrading_RouterOS#Using_Winbox

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

NOTinuyasha posted:

I can see a raw beginners guide that translates common functions like 'port forwarding' into NAT/firewall entries in Winbox as useful for the thread since that sort of thing looks terribly overwhelming compared to home router UIs.

Yeah, even basic port forwarding took me a week or two and a couple beers tweenst a friend working at a WISP all backended with mikrotik to figure out.

(I still have a demo port forward in my config labeled as 'get datte port ferwerd i sencha?')

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

CuddleChunks posted:

Bumping for my new guide on how to setup a mikrotik to act like a home router with NAT-ing, port forwards and dhcp. I used Winbox for the examples to make this as easy as possible. This guide will change your life.

I haven't tackled queueing in there because it's loving black magic but I'll try and get some guidelines cobbled together soonish.

I printed this out for my cabinet of files I may need.

Also the ponies make me smile.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

CuddleChunks posted:

Enotnert: thank you for the kind words. What's funny is that with about a dozen lines of the command line crap you can get all the same results, but for me I use Winbox all the time so I can visualize what the hell is going on. The command line is there but my CLI-fu is weak, especially when it comes to sorting and searching the results it generates.

Yeah, I mentioned that I have a buddy that got me into mikrotiks cause he works at a WISP thats mostly backended with mikrotik and point to points are handled by a mix of ubiquities and canopies.

I sent that to him, and he said it had his boss (the owner) lolling like a motherfucker, but it's also good to show me some of the poo poo I keep loving up when I get drunk and gently caress around with the router.

I should take some screen shots of the poo poo he littered around my router when he was teaching me how to do some junk on it. I was looking to forward ports one day, and opened where to do it with a load of entries labeled "get that port forward I sencha?" and "btw, I am vpn'd and checkin yer home security cameras"

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

TOMSOVERBAGHDAD posted:

I'm thinking about buying the RB750G as the core router for a 150 person LAN party. It's going to replace a crappy P4 pfSense box.

Somebody convince me that this is a bad idea.

I haven't tested it to 150 people, but I had one running in a test for our cloning system at work (just wanted to stress test it) over a bank of 115 computers. Seemed to work just jim dandy.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahahah holy poo poo. My dumb little guide is going places. I suppose I should sign my work.

My buddy said it's now "required reading" for all new employees at the WISP he works at.

Also, I read it 2-3 times today just cause the ponies crack my poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

CuddleChunks posted:

I've added some notes to the OP and a "gripes" section. These little boxes are wonderful, right until you want to do something silly like anchor a bunch of VPN tunnels or have them hold bigass OSPF routing tables or not die with explodey capacitors. Yes, that is entirely too much to ask for your favorite routerboard version.

heh, me and a buddy have been making beer money cause the WISP he works for does mikrotik to everything.

Starting about a year ago a bunch of the 750g's would have ports die.

You guessed it. Bad caps.

His jobs chunks them, we grab them, get drunk put new caps in, and sell them to other people. Good way to occupy time drinking beer, and afford more beer.