Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

The thing that surprised me at the end of that final was that Rafa looked just dead tired. He was bent over and like breathing heavy while Novak who is supposed to wilt in heat looked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009
From Daniel Kaplan, reporter for the SportsBusiness Journal:

Sony ericsson open sets new attendance record of over 316,000, still trails BNP Paribas Open as largest non Slam based on attendance.

Nice to see lots of people going out to watch it, apparently they had over 300,000 last year as well.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
As impressive as Djokovic has been this last few months, he hasn't played against Nadal or Federer near their best I'd say. Whether that is down to some sort of dip in form or if he's the reason they're playing badly, I don't know, but both Nadal and Federer have been doing some silly stuff against him (I didn't get to see the entire match today, so the 'analysis' might be a little off). Djokovic has definitely improved, but Federer and Nadal aren't as good as they used to either.

The semi-final of the US Open last year was some of the most infuriating thing I've seen as a Federer fan. He really should've won that match, but suddenly his serve percentage got so low that it even would've made an amateur a bit embarrassed. After that match, he seems to have lost something (yeah, I remember his loss to Soderling at Roland Garros ans his matches against Falla and Berdych at Wimbledon, but he dermed to be 'back' once the hard-court season started). Getting Annacone in had some positive effects, but now he only seems to have one plan and when that doesn't work he just Lions uncomfortable.

I guess we'll get a better clue about Nadal and Djokovic once the clay season gets underway. I'm worried about Federer :(

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000

Xabi posted:

I guess we'll get a better clue about Nadal and Djokovic once the clay season gets underway. I'm worried about Federer :(

I feel that Federer will still be a strong contender and able to beat anyone on his best days but Djokovic/Nadal will always be favourites from now one. Djokovic is just reaching his prime while Fed is way past his.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Federer needs to see a sports psychologist IMO.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I was at the final yesterday. Nadal looked awesome in the first set, then....

Also I didn't realize the primary activity during a tennis match is getting sun burnt to poo poo.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Djokovic was taking his shots while Nadal was content to loop balls back in play.

The fact this match wasn't over in two is because Nadal was serving better than Djokovic.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Xabi posted:

Federer needs to see a sports psychologist IMO.
From Wertheim's latest mailbag:

quote:

Fedal is dead! Long live Rafole!
--Dijana Djokovic, Serbia

• This, obviously, is a fakery. (The attached email address made me laugh but is unfit for publication.) Nevertheless it pretty much captures the Discussion of the Moment. Is Federer cooked? Is Djokovic the New King? It's amusing to me how parallel the discussions are:

1) How long do we hold on to our shares of Fed Inc. stock? Yes, it's performed brilliantly in previous fiscal years. Even with this recent dip it's still trading at a nice multiple. (Factoid: since last July, Federer's record against players other than Murray/Djokovic/Nadal, is 52-1.) It would stink to unload only to see a bounceback. The corporate structure is there, the market can turn soft and with a few adjustments -- the McKinsey consultants will come and advise shoring up the backhand wing and using a bigger stick -- it could return to prominence. On the other hand, we don't want to delude ourselves and the current trends are hard to overlook. At what point do I commit and divest? You don't want to get swept up in the hype but you don't want to be irrational.

2) How long do we resist buying shares of Djokovic Inc.? It's been going gangbusters recently and the future is bright. After a maturation process, some dips and some p.r. crises, it seems to have found its sweet spot. It's hard not to be optimistic about the growth prospects. On the other hand, any company can have a strong quarter. (In tennis terms: a lot of players have won one straight Slam.) You'd hate to clamber aboard the bandwagon prematurely, leverage yourself to the hilt only to have the shares tumble. At what point do I commit and invest? You don't want to get swept up in the hype but you don't want to be irrational.

My answer: Clay season will tell plenty. If Djokovic keeps this up on the clay, then we're having a totally different conversation than we're having now. If Federer continues to falter in big matches, we probably need to reassess. For now, I'm playing cautious investor on both counts.
I still believe that it's not Federer's game as much as his head. He's still twice as good as anyone else on the tour (not named Nadal/Murray/Djokovic), so all the retirement talk is pretty stupid. But I agree...he needs to step it up against Djokovic and Nadal.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 7, 2011

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

True that the retirement talk is extremely premature, but I don't think Federer's (minor) decline is entirely mental--he's maybe a bit slower, footwork slightly off, which is enough to have an effect with his style of play. That doesn't mean he can't still beat anyone on tour and win majors, though. I expect he'll bag a few more.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I can't believe Federer lost that match. I'll completely agree it was mental all the way. More precisely, it's that loving kid of his.

Murray is putting a strong showing right now and he might actually have the momentum to not choke it all away per usual!

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

Murray is putting a strong showing right now and he might actually have the momentum to not choke it all away per usual!

Haha, so much for that. If he played better in the first set he could have won in straights.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well poo poo I was pulling for Ferrer but when it mattered Nadal just seemed to turn it up.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Less than a month until the next Slam. The French is probably my favorite because of all the upsets that take place.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
the french is my favourite because of the crowd singing la marseillaise

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

So Raonic is playing Verdasco on clay in Estoril today, it'd be pretty funny if Verdasco lost after what he said a few months ago.

Also Del Potro in another final and is pretty much guaranteed to be seeded for Roland Garros :3:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Is it wrong that I'm going to be pulling for Monfils at Roland Garros?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

So has no one been watching the Madrid Open but me? It has been pretty good so far with Del Potro looking awesome and Federer having a crazy match yesterday.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I've been watching but Madrid plays so much faster than the other clay court tournaments that it gets a bit uninteresting after so many aces. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them but when I watch clay court tennis I'm expecting long gruelling rallies and not points that are over in 3-4 shots.

I'm looking forward to Rome next week a lot more. Also hope that Del Potro's injury isn't serious, he doesn't deserve to get another one after working so hard to get back :smith:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Both of the semifinals were pretty good today. I was rooting for Federer but if nothing else at least he didn't look as poo poo as he has since the Miami semis. I thought Djokovic was done when he was down a set and a break but he managed to overwhelm Bellucci. I hope Djokovic pulls it out tomorrow just to give that small glimmer of hope that Nadal won't cruise through clay season again.

Miko
May 20, 2001

charismaslover posted:

I've been watching but Madrid plays so much faster than the other clay court tournaments that it gets a bit uninteresting after so many aces. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them but when I watch clay court tennis I'm expecting long gruelling rallies and not points that are over in 3-4 shots.

I'm looking forward to Rome next week a lot more. Also hope that Del Potro's injury isn't serious, he doesn't deserve to get another one after working so hard to get back :smith:
You can't wait for Roland Garros, then, can you?

Del Potro needs to be ready for the French, he's not defending much here, but the slams are where he needs to make a statement, especially for points.

Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009
Djokovic has a legitimate chance of beating Nadal in straight sets on clay. This is not what I expected. :psyduck:

Edit: Wow. 7-5, 6-4.

Sodbury fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 8, 2011

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Just heard about Nadal's between-the-legs lob in the match.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Miko posted:

You can't wait for Roland Garros, then, can you?

I love Roland Garros and 3-4 hour matches :getin:

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.
drat, I really thought Djokovic's run would end today. He's on a hell of a tear. I kind of hope he wins the French too.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Steve112sms posted:

drat, I really thought Djokovic's run would end today. He's on a hell of a tear. I kind of hope he wins the French too.

I'm starting to wonder if Djok's run is the sign of him being the latest best player in the world or if Nadal will adjust his game (and succeed at it) to start winning against him again. It'd be a hell of a time to be a tennis fan to watch a quick succession over the past few years of some all time greats in Fed, Nadal and now possibly Djok all raise the bar a few notches each in tennis.

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009
Just read on Darren Rovell twitter account that this is the first time in 40 years that there is not an American in the top 10 in either the ATP or WTA rankings.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

God Del Potro can't catch a break. It seems he has a tear in his quad and may not be able to play the French.

Miko
May 20, 2001

^^^ Fffffffffffuck, that sucks.

say no to bats posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Djok's run is the sign of him being the latest best player in the world or if Nadal will adjust his game (and succeed at it) to start winning against him again. It'd be a hell of a time to be a tennis fan to watch a quick succession over the past few years of some all time greats in Fed, Nadal and now possibly Djok all raise the bar a few notches each in tennis.
I wouldn't read into this Madrid loss all too much as a sleight to Nadal on clay. Djok has been playing lights out for sure, but Madrid isn't an accurate indicator of clay court prowess. Madrid is drier and plays quicker than normal clay courts. Federer was able to beat Nadal on the stuff in 2009. It actually favors an attacking style.

Monte Carlo and Roland Garros are true heavy dirt courts. And you'll see guys getting covered in the stuff during matches. I hope Djokovic meets Nadal in the final again so he can shut me up about this clay disparity, and keep his match streak alive.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Hahha so this Lorenzi guy made a great shot against Nadal and he immediately started trending on Twitter.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

God Djokovic is playing out of his mind. It's one thing to watch him crush low level guys but to crush ranked players back to back is just crazy. It's like they stick with him for a bit and then he just decides to quit loving around and runs away with it. Granted he may lose his match against Murray and or Nadal but even then it is still majorly impressive.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray beat Djok today, only to return to his lacklustre self in the second week of the French.

Stosur's looking pretty hot right now, if she can keep that serve going she'll be pretty tough to stop.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

I've been reduced to audio commentary for the Murray/Djok match, but Murray's broken to serve at 4-3 in the third!

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

This is what their match in Australia should have been like. Crazy rallies, crazy gets, great shot making.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Certainly sounds like a good one. It's fun to give Murray a hard time, but I do enjoy watching him play when he's not choking. I hope he can bring his top game to a major final some day.

wow, Murray serving for the match now.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Neither guy seems capable of holding serve right now. It's kind of crazy. Nadal will have an easy time with either of them tomorrow because they'll probably have no legs after this match.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

I'm really looking forward to the final today between Rafa and Djokovic. Sucks that this isn't on CBS or another main network. Not many people get the tennis channel.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

I'm looking forward to it but I'm afraid Djokovic won't be able to play his best because of that hellish match he played last night.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

ChaosReaper posted:

I'm looking forward to it but I'm afraid Djokovic won't be able to play his best because of that hellish match he played last night.

I hope Djokovic wins, I really like the guy and want to see someone else besides Rafa and Fed dominate tennis.

Are clay courts that close to the spectator walls like that? Seems like the fans are really close to the court.

Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009

ChaosReaper posted:

Judging by the way the rallies look so far, it's hard to believe he'll avoid some serious fatigue. I hope I'm wrong, because this is just amazing to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

How Djokovic can play like he did to win that first set is beyond me. He looks like he could play for days right now.

• Locked thread