Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So Nadal is out of Wimbledon now. How long before he just hangs it up? He's not as good as he used to be and these injuries are just going to increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Probably a year or two if he can manage to get healthy for more than 4 months. I don't doubt he has the motivation to keep going

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

STUTTGART, Germany (AP) Roger Federer squandered two match points and lost to Dominic Thiem 3-6, 7-6 (7), 6-4 in a rain-interrupted Mercedes Cup semifinal on Saturday.

Thiem led 5-0 in the second set before allowing the top-seeded Federer to pull even by winning five straight games. In the tiebreaker, Federer wasted one match point with a smash into the net. On the second, he tried to serve and volley behind a second serve but was passed by an impeccable return. Thiem won the set with a smash.

''I was incredibly nervous. I was fortunate in the tiebreaker but you need good luck to beat the best player on grass,'' Thiem said.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 12, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7lOMyA5mpg

:mediocre:

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Vika is pregnant and Milos skips Rio because he's afraid of zika. Ok then.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

good for him

good for her

she will enjoy her normal headed child and raonic will enjoy his future normal headed child(ren)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Kyrgios lost to a 17-year-old Canadian kid in the first round of the Canada Masters (granted, that same kid did just win the Wimbledon Boy's title a few weeks ago).
He committed 18 double faults in the match :staredog:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Federer is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury :smith:

Surely this is the end?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Skipping the olympics. Hmm.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

colonel_korn posted:

Kyrgios lost to a 17-year-old Canadian kid in the first round of the Canada Masters (granted, that same kid did just win the Wimbledon Boy's title a few weeks ago).
He committed 18 double faults in the match :staredog:

He's on the take.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Skipping the olympics. Hmm.

he wants another set of twins

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not pro-tennis chat, but I really can't wait to play again. I've been rehabbing an injury for the last 6 weeks and the doc gave me the okay today to start practicing again :bubblewoop:

Now if only it wasn't so god drat hot out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tomas Berdych is a fuckin' joke.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They reduced Sharapova's suspension down to 15 months, so she'll be back for the French Open next year. Sources said she felt a sharp 'slapping' pain on the pronator quadratus muscle of her wrist.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
She took that poo poo for 10 years, but "a panel determined her violation was unintentional". Love it. Clean sport. Nothing to see here. Move along. :science:

edit:

https://twitter.com/head_tennis/status/783290862402936833

edit2:

Now she's attacking the WTA, and says she took meldonium for 10 years because of a magnesium deficiency, dizziness and a family history of diabetes.

quote:

“They wanted to ban me for four years; that was their way of conceding to me,” she said, citing the maximum penalty she could have received from the federation at its initial June hearing, before her violation was ruled unintentional. “I spent four days total in hearings listening to the head of the I.T.F. antidoping, Stuart Miller, giving two testimonies. I’m sitting there just shaking my head on how so many athletes and tennis players are in the hands of someone in his position. I really couldn’t believe it.

“I was really shocked how little knowledge someone like him had, in his position. When he spoke about meldonium, he didn’t know anything about it. It didn’t strike him that it was so common that maybe more notice was appropriate for Eastern European athletes.”

quote:

More than 300 athletes, mostly other Eastern Europeans, have tested positive for meldonium this year.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 6, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It was legal until 2016 to be fair.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
An outtake from the latest Kyrgios meltdown :ughh:

https://twitter.com/CodereApuestas/status/786151820104126465

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Ha. At least it's always something different.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Didn't he just win a title? I'd have thought he'd be a bit more chipper.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol

quote:

Kyrgios, seeded 12th, arrived in Shanghai as one of the most in-form players in the draw after winning his third title of the season at last week's Japan Open. But all the matches seemed to catch up to him against Zverev, a player ranked 110th in the world who had only won seven ATP Tour matches all season.

At one point in the first set, Kyrgios tapped a soft serve over the net and started walking toward his chair before Zverev had even returned the ball, drawing a rebuke from the chair umpire during the changeover.

"This is a professional tournament," Ali Nili said. "You have to act like a professional."

Toward the end of the 48-minute match, the crowd started booing and jeering. One man yelled, "Respect the game," prompting a furious Kyrgios to shout: "You want to come here and play?"

Asked afterward if he thought he owed the spectators a better effort, he turned defiant again.

"What does that even mean? I'm good at hitting a tennis ball at the net. Big deal. I don't owe them anything," he said. "If you don't like it, I didn't ask you to come watch. Just leave."

Kyrgios added that he is so tired from the lengthy season, he wasn't interested in chasing one of the last spots for the ATP finals next month, either.

"I couldn't care less, to be completely honest with you," he said.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Paused posted:

Didn't he just win a title? I'd have thought he'd be a bit more chipper.

Now he's been banned for 8 weeks lol

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
Only 3 if he gets therapy!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Buddy Holly posted:

Only 3 if he gets therapy!

That's probably not a terrible idea. He has really seemed unhappy and volatile recently.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I don't get it, why doesn't he just claim an injury and retire from the match if he doesn't want to be there?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
He wants to be left alone, but in an attention whore sort of way.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Domi vs Carebear on now. It's been a great first set, watch it if you're able to :jerky:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

runoverbobby posted:

He wants to be left alone, but in an attention whore sort of way.

The Shia Lebouf of tennis

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

We did it, we survived the Djokovic menace and are now firmly in a beautiful Scottish winter.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Well done Andy, and we didn't even have to watch a boring Raonic match either! :scotland:

Djokovic needs to get his head together, the video of him and his quack is really something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg-qvS4plno

as is the quacks book: wtf

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Whoa! The Djoker and Daniela Hantuchova is in a cult now? :whoptc:

:rip: #1

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

well who could've foreseen this crazy turn of events early this year

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Imaz is a former tennis player once ranked inside the top 150 who reached the second round of the French Open in 1998.

These days the 42-year-old Spaniard runs a tennis center in Marbella, Spain, which describes itself as giving "absolute priority to the person's well-being, feelings and emotions." It is "not like most regular academy style training facilities," the website says, because it pledges to help players "regain that feeling of love both for tennis, but more importantly for yourself."

On the website there is a long video where Imaz is sat alongside Djokovic, with former Top 10-ranked Daniela Hantuchova nearby on the same row of seats.

The heading of the video is "Amor Y Paz" — which in Spanish means "Love and Peace."

During it, Djokovic closes his eyes for several minutes. He then speaks about his appreciation of meditation and the need for "happiness and harmony."

After his victory against Muller, Djokovic was asked during his news conference about his working relationship with Imaz.

"I don't know where you heard that he's a guru, first of all," Djokovic said. "He's been in tennis for all his life. I'm just glad that he came this week, together with my brother, to be with me and work with me."

Pressed further about the nature of their working relationship, Djokovic wasn't keen to elaborate.

"I'm not going to go into details, because there is no sense. I know certain media is trying to find a story here in calling him guru," Djokovic said. "I'm not going to give any room for speculations anymore. He's been there, and he's part of the coaching team and that's all."

NOT a guru, guys. You've heard the gluten man.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 6, 2016

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

he's NOT a guru, he is a cult leader, idiot reporters.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

He likes to give long hugs to his underage tennis students. It's so sweet, he's a great guy.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
It's just 40 love.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
remember when people used to say that djokovic and/or Nadal would be able to challenge Federers legacy?

lmfao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sodium Chloride posted:

Well done Andy, and we didn't even have to watch a boring Raonic match either! :scotland:

Djokovic needs to get his head together, the video of him and his quack is really something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg-qvS4plno

as is the quacks book: wtf

djokovic has brought a rare pepe in his life

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
why does all spanish men look somewhere between 40 and a healthy 70?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Up Circle posted:

why does all spanish men look somewhere between 40 and a healthy 70?

The legacies of state-sanctioned doping is loving up the Spanish genes.

• Locked thread