Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Harrison over Raonic in a great 3-setter. I saw him play at the open last year, hope he keeps improving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Tacier posted:

It's essentially true that Nadal (and to a lesser extent Djokovic) couldn't have been successful in the McEnroe/Borg era playing the way he plays now since his playstyle is so dependent on high-tech, modern racquets and strings. We'll never know whether he would have been any good then just like we can't be certain Becker wouldn't have sucked in this era.
I think Nadal, being the incredible athlete that he is, would adapt to the conditions of the day. Even in the last five years he has significantly modified his game to meet changing goals. He improved his backhand slice, improved flatter groundstrokes, and revamped his serve to win hardcourt tournaments (although he's reverted to his older, slower serve for some reason). When he first came on tour no one expected him to win anything other than clay. He has decent feel at the net, as well. All that said, however, you're right, he probably wouldn't be AS successful as he has been in the current era, but I wouldn't discount him entirely.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Along with this, I'm looking at getting back to playing after a several year hiatus. What racket should I get for under, say, $100?

Get a used babolat pure drive.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone else following IW? Some really great matches this year. Zverev going down to Nadal from match point up was particularly heartbreaking. Hopefully the kid bounces back from it, he seems like the real deal, but that's the kinda match loss that will keep you up at night. Maybe for the rest of your life.

• Locked thread