Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Alacron posted:

I dual wielded both swords so it wasn’t an issue for me.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I dual wielded both but never used it as an item

Is dual wielding worth it? It felt like the halved attack on the second weapon resulted in neglible damage on most tough enemies, so I never used it ot anyone except Erik, since he gets the skill for full attack with the second weapon. Two-handed weapons generally felt more powerful.

Actually, now that I'm basically done with the game it feels like a good time to find out what's considered good skills/line-ups.
I mostly used sword/shield on the Hero. Briefly switched to two-handers in Act 2, after getting a party member that actually had shield skills, but switched back once i realized the sword of light was one-handed. The fact that the ultimate skills for one-handed swords hit ALL enemies, while the ultimate skills for two-handed swords only hit a group made the one-handed swords feel more useful, even though the damage is a bit less.
Erik started with a dagger, so I stuck with that, eventually adding dual wielding. His damage seemed to fall short in the late game, due to the lack of skills that boost dagger attacks. The 6x damage on enemies with statuses is huge, but bosses rarely felt vulnerable to that.
Didn't even consider whips for Veronica, she seemed like a pure spellcaster.
Serena switched to spears pretty quickly, since I felt like she needed to do useful amounts of damage when I didn't need healing. Eventually switched back to wands in the late game, when I actually used her for healing.
Sylvando seemed like an obvious candidate for whips, since i already had people with swords and daggers. Generally felt like more useful for utility than damage.
Jade ended up with claws, since I already had a spear user.
Rab stuck with heavy wands, since those boosted both his healing and his damage. Primarily used him as a healer for bosses, and as damage for regular enemies. Kinda found his single-target damage to be lacking, since it felt like most bosses had big dark resistance.
Hendrik starts with a two-handed sword, but the combination of actually having shield skills and immediately having a big scene where recieves an heirloom shield made me switch him to sword/shield (while switching the Hero to two-handers). Switched him back to two-handed swords when I switched the Hero back to one-handed.

Line-up-wise, I switched Veronica for Sylvando after I got him, and substituted both him and Serena for Jade and Rab after Octagonia. Rab seemed like the earliest source for party-wide healing with Right as Rain (I hadn't focused Sylvando's skills towards Hustle dance), and then he stuck around forever due to being a combination of offensive spells and healing. Erik and Jade covered physical damage prett well, although neither of them added much more than that.
I mostly stuck with this line-up after that. In act 2, Hendrik replaced Erik as my main physical damage dealer. When I eventually tried Erik again, his damage felt underwhelming in comparison. Jade stuck around until the Trial of the Luminary and Calasmos, when I felt like I needed two dedicated healers to stay alive.

jesus that was a lot of words I just typed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have no idea if any strategy or build I used was good but I'd guess probably not

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I didn't use much of a strategy either. I went with whichever weapons looked the most fitting for the character.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I used greatswords for 95% of the game and then swapped to sword and shield for the last 5%. It gave me better all-target damage but probably worse single-target and group damage

As far as I can tell, dual wielding gives you an extra BASIC attack whenever you use an offensive move, at 70% strength. I'm pretty confident that greatswords still outdamage that at most points.

I used axes on Hendrik and never regretted it. Gyrfalcon slash is cool and all but Parallaxe is nearly as good and axes have better abilities otherwise. I also think people underestimate his greatsword because he doesnt get swordmastery. 95% of the greatsword skills i used with the hero was helichopter, cutting edge and unbridled blade, which he also gets.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 26, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can get some sweet combo damage out of Erik. Like top tier single target damage but it requires a few turns to set up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Dual wielding looked cool as hell and that was all the reason I needed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The thing about Erik is he has no alternative to dual-wielding. You either dual wield or your off-hand is useless. All the other dual-wielders can use shields or two-hand a weapon.

I'm not actually sure what benefit serena gets from dual-wielding now that i think of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wanda often carry extra bonuses that you might want to double up on.