Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«199 »
BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001
Messenger of Trance

In general, it seems like the 2d sprites are modeled mostly after SFC DQ I+II in battle, and DQVI outside of battle. A cool feature as it seems like it will have a completely different overall feel than the other versions of XI, but they didn't take it as far as they could have with refinement, or it would probably be more similar to SFC III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

*~*~ CONJURE ~*~ ~*~* FOOD *~*~*

BabyRyoga posted:

There's also the PSX version of DQ4 that shares a similar look to SFC DQ3

This is incorrect. PS1 DQ4 uses the DQ7 engine.

YggiDee posted:

DQV on the PS2 doesn't have the superior third wife though.

This right here is why DS is better.

I feel I should clarify - the negative things I've heard about the mobile ports of 1-3 are poorly scaled 2D (this is a dealbreaker for me, I would not be able to stand looking at it) and difficult controls. They are probably acceptable for most people.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

How was the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V? Why didn't they do more of those?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

because the ps2 is a dead console

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Machine posted:

How was the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V? Why didn't they do more of those?

5 is basically regarded as the series' Final Fantasy 4 from what I can tell (for drat good reason), plus they had already remade every other Dragon Quest already except 6 and afterwards the merger probably kept them too busy to consider that before 8.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

(DQ8) This might be totally wrong but I remember reading somewhere that intimidating enemies is a more reliable way of making them drop items compared to Steal Sickle. Is that accurate? And if so, how does it work, because I'm trying to scare off witches and I've got two level 19 guys, one 18 and one 17 and it's not really working.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

IIRC, the game checks when you'd get a drop by enemy group, so beating a Slime x6 mob means the same as clearing one. Intimidate makes it so the game checks by individual enemies, so yeah there's a big difference.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

IIRC, the game checks when you'd get a drop by enemy group, so beating a Slime x6 mob means the same as clearing one. Intimidate makes it so the game checks by individual enemies, so yeah there's a big difference.

So it's actually more helpful when the game is weird about grouping enemies then. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

If you're on the 3DS version you're probably better off just checking in on the respawning chests though. They give rare drops at decent rates, just time gated to 1 a day or whatever. If you're doing it for enemy book completion I vaguely recall the PS2 version letting you intimidate but on 3DS it definitely won't register it at all--needs to be an actual drop.

«199 »