Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In general, it seems like the 2d sprites are modeled mostly after SFC DQ I+II in battle, and DQVI outside of battle. A cool feature as it seems like it will have a completely different overall feel than the other versions of XI, but they didn't take it as far as they could have with refinement, or it would probably be more similar to SFC III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

BabyRyoga posted:

There's also the PSX version of DQ4 that shares a similar look to SFC DQ3

This is incorrect. PS1 DQ4 uses the DQ7 engine.

YggiDee posted:

DQV on the PS2 doesn't have the superior third wife though.

This right here is why DS is better.

I feel I should clarify - the negative things I've heard about the mobile ports of 1-3 are poorly scaled 2D (this is a dealbreaker for me, I would not be able to stand looking at it) and difficult controls. They are probably acceptable for most people.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
How was the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V? Why didn't they do more of those?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
because the ps2 is a dead console

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Machine posted:

How was the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V? Why didn't they do more of those?

5 is basically regarded as the series' Final Fantasy 4 from what I can tell (for drat good reason), plus they had already remade every other Dragon Quest already except 6 and afterwards the merger probably kept them too busy to consider that before 8.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

(DQ8) This might be totally wrong but I remember reading somewhere that intimidating enemies is a more reliable way of making them drop items compared to Steal Sickle. Is that accurate? And if so, how does it work, because I'm trying to scare off witches and I've got two level 19 guys, one 18 and one 17 and it's not really working.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
IIRC, the game checks when you'd get a drop by enemy group, so beating a Slime x6 mob means the same as clearing one. Intimidate makes it so the game checks by individual enemies, so yeah there's a big difference.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

IIRC, the game checks when you'd get a drop by enemy group, so beating a Slime x6 mob means the same as clearing one. Intimidate makes it so the game checks by individual enemies, so yeah there's a big difference.

So it's actually more helpful when the game is weird about grouping enemies then. Weird.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you're on the 3DS version you're probably better off just checking in on the respawning chests though. They give rare drops at decent rates, just time gated to 1 a day or whatever. If you're doing it for enemy book completion I vaguely recall the PS2 version letting you intimidate but on 3DS it definitely won't register it at all--needs to be an actual drop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Decus posted:

If you're on the 3DS version you're probably better off just checking in on the respawning chests though. They give rare drops at decent rates, just time gated to 1 a day or whatever. If you're doing it for enemy book completion I vaguely recall the PS2 version letting you intimidate but on 3DS it definitely won't register it at all--needs to be an actual drop.

I'm just trying to get drops in general. Beyond Tales of Symphonia and Vesperia, I've never been assed enough to actually try and fill a bestiary.

DLC already gave me a gold nugget early on (Like, Maella Abbey-ish) which I used to make a King Axe so why not try and get a devil tail earlier than usual too?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Steam Summer Sale has Heroes for $20 and Heroes II for $40

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is Heroes II twice as good as Heroes I? Looks like the reviews are pretty similar.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i don't even know if i'd like it, the combat looks brain dead and super un-engaging compared to something like a souls game

but the appeal of a fully realized 3d game that takes places in the dragon quest universe is extremely enticing, especially now that they added free roaming and poo poo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KingSlime posted:

i don't even know if i'd like it, the combat looks brain dead and super un-engaging compared to something like a souls game

Why on earth would you ever compare a musou game and a Souls game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
fine ignore the souls comparison, I don't play musou games so this is just my first impression

the combat looks unfun and like utter poo poo, from what I've seen a player can casually stroll up to a crowd and whack on them senselessly while the enemies sorta hang out

it feels very PS2-ish, back when most devs didn't know how to make combat fun and satisfying within a 3d space

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

KingSlime posted:

it feels very PS2-ish, back when most devs didn't know how to make combat fun and satisfying within a 3d space

Yeah, dynasty warriors is still rooted in that era

But they're decent games where you can just kick back and mash buttons without ever being too frustrating

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

fine ignore the souls comparison, I don't play musou games so this is just my first impression

the combat looks unfun and like utter poo poo, from what I've seen a player can casually stroll up to a crowd and whack on them senselessly while the enemies sorta hang out

I don't think the average 3D action game has gotten any bette or worse since the PS2

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I very strongly disagree, video games heavy on combat and action have long evolved past what dynasty warriors games have to offer (gaming in general is extremely my jam these days with how much progression we have seen the ast decade or so)

even generic QTE games like God of War or Uncharted are miles ahead of what the PS2 could do in terms of mechanical nuance, responsiveness, engagement, enemy behavior, etc

maybe you can provide some examples of modern day games that play like floaty, wonky ps2 games?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every Ubisoft game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
okay haha that's fair

but for what it's worth, the trailers for DQ heroes 2 reminds me of the poo poo combat we've tolerated for years in AssCreed games

buncha mooks just staring you down, waiting for their turn to be cut down

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And like, the PS2 had those string of killer Capcom action games and their countless copycats, that were both good and bad. And stuff like Tekken and VF never really changed their style and they still feel awesome to play. It's all relative

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

okay haha that's fair

but for what it's worth, the trailers for DQ heroes 2 reminds me of the poo poo combat we've tolerated for years in AssCreed games

buncha mooks just staring you down, waiting for their turn to be cut down

I'm not disagreeing really, I played through DQH1 as my first musou game, and it's really less about individual enemies than it is managing a map (usually filled with minibosses, timed objectives, etc), which might not be obvious from videos. I enjoyed my time with the game but I also think it was enough to show me that I don't really like musou games. It does feel really satisfying to do air launcher combos into special cancels and poo poo for huge damage numbers all over the screen, and the boss fights are pretty demanding, especially the post game challenges.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
as long as there's some meat to the gameplay, I wager I'd enjoy it

it looks great visually and running around in a high-def DQ world filled with familiar monsters seems really charming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If nothing else seeing all the DQ monsters in beautifully rendered 3D made me insanely excited for XI

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Are there any plans to bring the DQH 1&2 compilation for Switch to the west? I bought the first one for PS4 for a song, but I would be seriously consider paying full MSRP for both games together, in a language that I can understand, with the ability to go portable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dqh is good apparently quite misunderstood by people who havent played it itt.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is Heroes II twice as good as Heroes I? Looks like the reviews are pretty similar.

Apparently DQH2's co-op requires you to have beaten the fight before you can join others to run it, which kinda ruins the possibility of playing through the story with friends if you're all new to it. That said it does look fun and if/when I get around to finishing DQH1 I'll probably pick up DQH2 afterwards, but I just bought Shadows of Mordor for$4 and still need to finish Stormblood so it might be awhile before I get back to DQH...

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

guys, Dragon Quest IV? super good. I beat the final boss after grinding to level 33 off an endless conga line of Teaky Masks.

now onto what I'm to understand is the best of the bunch in V

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 24, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

V is epic

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best Dragon Quest is 3, 4, 5, and 8.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Mudo's bullshit difficulty aside, DQ6 is one of the best games in the series.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I really like 7 :shobon:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

7 is the most Dragon Quest. No Dragon Quest is more Dragon Quest than 7. But I think it magnifies the series' tendentious flaws disproportionately.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dragon Quest 7 is also the game that made me (and many other people) realize that "hey this game is great I wish it lasted forever" is actually not something anyone still believes after about 80 hours of so of gameplay.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KingSlime posted:

The appeal of musou games are not really in the challenge of combat, for the most part that aspect consists of mashing buttons to do fancy moves to tear through enemy mobs by the dozens and occasionally fighting a slightly stronger captain-level enemy to liberate an area.
The meat is more in managing the map, accomplishing objectives, and keeping track of where the enemy forces are, and making sure they don't take over your base.

I only played a demo of the first game so I don't know how much DQH deviates from that, but in general if the above description doesn't sound like something you'd enjoy then they're probably not your kind of game. Personally I don't really care for them unless it's co-op with someone or else they bore the hell out of me, and DQH1 has no multiplayer and from what I understand they poo poo the bed with the implementation in DQH2.

TheHoosier posted:

guys, Dragon Quest IV? super good. I beat the final boss after grinding to level 33 off an endless conga line of Teaky Masks.

As much as I remember the original DQ games to be grindfests, I haven't had to grind in any of the mobile remakes. I just fight every battle and never run unless I'm close to dying, and it keeps me leveled pretty well with enemies / bosses.

As for 5 being the "best of the bunch" I liked 4 much better than 5, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion. The final boss in 5 is nowhere near as epic.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TheHoosier posted:

Soooo who was your MVP, and why was it Alena?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Quest 7 is also the game that made me (and many other people) realize that "hey this game is great I wish it lasted forever" is actually not something anyone still believes after about 80 hours of so of gameplay.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of 7 but it's hard for me to tell how many hours of actual game play I have since I have a terrible habit of falling asleep while grinding random encounters.

5 was great. I haven't played 8 yet and I don't remember 6 so I probably didn't play or get far into that one.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
6 was pretty forgettable for me aside from the cool dual world gimmick they had going. Granted this was right after playing 4 and 5 so I was kinda burned out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It just needed a good 40-50 hours cut and then it would be up for debate with the best DQs.

DQ5 took me 30 hours. Perfect length. Why in the world would they come up with the idea that DQ7 needed to be 100 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The apocrypha is that they had a CD with a huge amount of extra space so they just wanted to use oodles of it and made like 15 DQ games in one. I've also read that the development got out o hand over the course of the project