Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
nothing i read about act 3 sounded particularly appealing to me, personally. apart from going and visiting the towns a bit after finishing, i was satisfied with act 2 as an ending.

so it's not technically post game, but it also isn't really "necessary"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I skipped most of whatever was in Act 3. Did the trials for the cool gear, grinded to level 70 and then beat the final boss. Took me something like 5-6 hours so Act 3 is all what you make of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

nothing i read about act 3 sounded particularly appealing to me, personally. apart from going and visiting the towns a bit after finishing, i was satisfied with act 2 as an ending.

What's it like to be a monster?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Only thing I didn't like about the 3rd act is how it handled time travel. Like the way everything was framed it felt like more Hero was ditching his friends to go to a parallel universe. I wanted a bit where everyone else gets their memories back.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

What's it like to be a monster?

hey, i'm not the one that wiped the people i'd just spent the last dozens of hours bonding with from existence

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

hey, i'm not the one that wiped the people i'd just spent the last dozens of hours bonding with from existence

But you get back Veronica and worth

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also when at the end of act 3 they let Serenica time travel, if it really is time traveling and not dimension hopping wouldn't that just mean the entire of dq11 never even happens.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Stopping the game before the true ending is something only monsters do. The last cutscene is one of the biggest "oh whaaaaaaaaat" moments I've ever had in a game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does the non-Definitive Edition even have Post Game? I thought the only actual post game was the super boss in Tickington i didn't bother with

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Yes it is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not playing Act 3 is like turning off a movie 2/3rds through and never seeing the end and that's bad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Act 3 starts off shakey but it's worth seeing through to the end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't like the setup so I also stopped playing at the start of Act 3.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Y'all ain't even finishing the story. There's a final boss and resolution and everything.

This is like deciding FF7 is over when Aeris dies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Framboise posted:

Y'all ain't even finishing the story. There's a final boss and resolution and everything.

This is like deciding FF7 is over when Aeris dies.

I mean the disk ends what else do you expect?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I think they could have handled it better. Showing credits and then plopping the player back into the world is a post game thing to do. Should have narratively handled it a bit better, maybe skipped credits showing at the end of act 2.

Or maybe it was truly meant for DQ fans. To be honest this was the first post game content I’ve ever done in a DQ game and only because googling told me there’s way more story (that I felt cheapened act 2 but whatever).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Like did you guys stop playing Animal Crossing when you saw credits after the first KK show? Or hunting monsters in Monster Hunter after credits played?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i didn't stop because the credits scrolled. i stopped because i felt like it was a satisfying, if bittersweet, conclusion to the narrative and everything i read about how things went from there seemed like this:

Social Animal posted:

(that I felt cheapened act 2 but whatever).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So did you just not wonder what the purple tockle in the desert was? "Oh probably nothing"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lay off dude, people can play the game how they want. Act 3 is basically more Dragon Quest gameplay with not that much in the way of story beyond the beginning, it feels somehow even more World of Ruin-y than Act 2 does. If people like the way things ended off in Act 2 they're under no obligation to continue. I felt super bad about Serena's character development being wiped out, and while Veronica is great, her loss meant a lot to the party, and it's not the same when she's around.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nanako died and I pushed Namatame into the TV and the credits rolled. Guess I'm done with Persona 4! :smugteddie:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK guys, lay off. I beat and enjoyed Act 3, but the conclusion to Act 2 does serve as a solid end to the game. I can see someone spending 60-80 hours getting to the end of Act 2 and deciding that "this is the end for me".

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I felt like Act 3 was a slog to go through and he's absolutely right in not wanting to deal with it.

Sure it's a great "no gently caress you, everything is better now" arc, but the pacing sucked and I didn't have fun with it like the rest of the game.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly the whole "Stopping right there is so dumb" kind of loses a lot of it's bite when you remember that Calasmos is as good as dead already. Their body is destroyed and all that remains of them can't even interact with the world in any meaningful way. And you don't even need the Post-game to learn that since it's pretty clear from context clues.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
While I do agree that dq11's thing is turning a great ending into a happy but overall less satisfying ending the game also went to great lengths to establish that your entire party is composed of the noblest, most selfless human beings and if they had the chance to fix things even on a different timeline at great personal cost of course they were going to take the opportunity to do so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stop playing video games whenever you feel like. Turn off DQ8 when Jessica joins, quit playing DMC5 after 1 V level, go two hours into KH3 and never pick it up again, the choice is yours.

How you wanna play things has no effect on me until I go looking for people taking about the game and most of the conversation is people who put in 6 hours and stopped then. So now I've gotta skip 15 pages because people think the creepy guy in the shack at the edge of town must be up to something nefarious and will not be convinced otherwise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Look man someday I'll finish KH3. But at least I'm not calling the back half of the game post game when it's just more actual game :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Look man someday I'll finish KH3. But at least I'm not calling the back half of the game post game when it's just more actual game :colbert:

It's just a matter of perspective I suppose. Like their are insane people who consider all of Kanto in Pokemon gold to be postgame

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's just a matter of perspective I suppose. Like their are insane people who consider all of Kanto in Pokemon gold to be postgame

Chrono dying fighting Lavos is the end of the game and everything after that is postgame.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
If the game shows credits dont blame people for thinking its the end, especaly if the events beforehand form a narratively satisfying conclusion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, can't believe Asura's Wrath was two hours long and they still charged you 60$ for it.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

drat, can't believe Asura's Wrath was two hours long and they still charged you 60$ for it.

Asura’s Wrath is structured like an anime with each episode having credits. Dragon Quest 11 is not. It’s completely reasonable that people would call the end of act 2 an end to the game also AW sold its real ending as DLC so ya not giving that game the benefit of the doubt and I love Asuras Wrath it’s a good anime.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man Alan Wake has 4 post games plus two dlc post games

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I make it to the final dungeon and stop playing in a bunch of games, Xenogears, FFXII, and even DQ 8. The feeling is that I don't want the game to end but I'm tired of playing it. Maybe I'll come back six years later and finish it, maybe not.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Idk I tried going on with act 3 but it's just all the same locations over and over again i think I'm just gonna call it with this one. I put over 100 hours into this game and I think that's enough

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Act 3 is definitely the weakest section of the game, so yeah I can’t fault anyone for not finishing it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

I make it to the final dungeon and stop playing in a bunch of games, Xenogears, FFXII, and even DQ 8. The feeling is that I don't want the game to end but I'm tired of playing it. Maybe I'll come back six years later and finish it, maybe not.

Same but I keep thinking there's still going to be ton of game from the point where I stop. I got stuck in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga for months because I didn't know how to get to Joke's End, I put DQ8 on 3DS down for a while because I thought that Rhapthorne was going to take way longer to beat than it turned out. I think it saved progress every time you used the staff and lost the fight or something? And I stopped Xenoblade like 40 minutes before the game was done.

It really sucked for the first and last one because I was ready for more game and then whoops you were close to done!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's not quite the same thing, but Kid Icarus Uprising went through a lot of trouble to convince you the game was shorter than it was. The real villain literally tears the ending credits in half. It was amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I also stopped with act 2. The setup for act 3 seemed really lame and I was kind of tired of the combat by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I thought everything up to the villain reveal in Act 3 was really cool, but then I realized it was just going to be a bunch of disjointed sidequests where the whole point was "get to a high enough level to defeat the big bad" and I was like nah that's okay. Think there was some multifloor dungeon made entirely out of reused areas that turned me off.