Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I married Bianca because I felt weird about poor Nera's arranged marriage and I'm not sure what appeal Debora was supposed to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Rad, thanks for all the tips! Also, I have been running around like a madman in battle—does this actually do anything, or is it just for hyper monkeys like me to zoom around in between whacking the baddies?

It does not do anything, no, but it can be fun!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I married Bianca because I felt weird about poor Nera's arranged marriage and I'm not sure what appeal Debora was supposed to have

Tbh I mostly choose her because she ends up a bitter spinster if you don’t but an actual likable person if you do. Or at least, that’s how I’ve felt since the first time I beat it.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Couple hours in and it’s every bit as wholesome and full of inexplicable accents as I’d hoped! The monsters have reached peak cuteness; I feel bad running around hacking them all to shreds...

Any tips about where to invest skill points? And should I use two-handed swords or is a shield worth it?

In addition to what everyone else said, you’re skill trees change as the game goes on and you’ll want to respec a few times as there game progresses, so do whatever. There’s one character who shields are a must use and even than that’s not until much later, and it’s obvious who that is.

DQXI is extremely chill. You can’t really screw yourself over in any meaningful way.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nose For Treasure will drive you mad if you have any OCD tendencies though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Deified Data posted:

Deb is a tsundere character, some people like that sort of thing. The dialog interactions with her are certainly entertaining, I'll admit. If you have power fantasies about subjugating a spouse, Nera is the "delicate Japanese flower" (as I once heard someone rather prominent in the DQ speedrunning community say to defend his cringey-as-gently caress opinion) you will want. Bianca is clearly intended by the game creators to be the proper choice, as you form an emotional connection to her early on. You did good. Although I wouldn't think poorly of anyone who would enjoy being with Deb. Even considering that she's probably a better mage-type party member if you're looking to minmax, Nera is the only wrong option, IMO.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 11, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

I'm not sure what appeal Debora was supposed to have

her hair is really cool

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

her hair is really cool

Her battle road victory animation is p funny too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlya4H9I_OM&t=663s

11:03 if it doesn't timestamp, although most of these are great

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Deified Data posted:

some people want to be stepped on, op

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man NPCs in dq builders 2 sure like repeating the same poo poo over and over in the plot, huh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Homora Gaykemi posted:

her hair is really cool
and by extension you get really cool child hair

also her dialogue is funny, which beats out unmemorable to me every day, even if it's cause she's a tsundere gold digger

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Those Monster Battle Road games have such utterly absurd animations, I love them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ofecks posted:

Those Monster Battle Road games have such utterly absurd animations, I love them.

Anyone know if there are fan translations of them? I've been interested in the DQ Monster series for a while and most didn't get released in America and now I want to play the ones with the funny animations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So happy XI got recommended to me over in goon Discord. FF7R/FF7 replay earlier this year got me hankering to play some turn-based RPGs.

Near the endgame of Act 2 and I'm completely invested in the story and characters. Veronica :negative:

Whoever designed that jackpot roulette quest is a monster and a sadist though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 13, 2020

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Ciaphas posted:

man NPCs in dq builders 2 sure like repeating the same poo poo over and over in the plot, huh

I swear my play time would have been cut in half without all of the inane dialogue, asking people repeatedly the specifics of the room they want building

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Anyone know if there are fan translations of them? I've been interested in the DQ Monster series for a while and most didn't get released in America and now I want to play the ones with the funny animations.

No, at least nothing listed on RHDN. And while I understand the confusion because of the name, the MBR games are not DQ Monsters games, they are different - arcade titles that have interactions with IRL trading cards (and can dispense IRL cards as rewards). There was a Wii port of the 2nd game, so it may be feasible for that one to get a translation someday.

The only DQM with a fanpatch has been Caravan Hearts for GBA.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Hey it's me, the dumb rear end in a top hat who checked the OP of a 10 year old thread and couldn't find the answer to his question. After absolutely loving loving Yakuza 7 I've gotten the hankering to go back and play an actual Dragon Quest game. I've only played DQ1 and 8, and I know 11 is the new hotness, but I'm going back and forth between deciding on the Switch or PS4 versions. I know the new PS4 version is a port of the Switch one with all the new content, but does it run at a higher resolution or framerate? Or is the Switch version the preferred because of the convenience of being able to play how and wherever?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Hey it's me, the dumb rear end in a top hat who checked the OP of a 10 year old thread and couldn't find the answer to his question. After absolutely loving loving Yakuza 7 I've gotten the hankering to go back and play an actual Dragon Quest game. I've only played DQ1 and 8, and I know 11 is the new hotness, but I'm going back and forth between deciding on the Switch or PS4 versions. I know the new PS4 version is a port of the Switch one with all the new content, but does it run at a higher resolution or framerate? Or is the Switch version the preferred because of the convenience of being able to play how and wherever?

apparently the base PS4 runs XIS at the same framerate as the Switch but the Pro runs the game at 60fps. i imagine they'll both have higher resolution than the Switch's dynamic 720p or whatever it was

i personally played it on Switch when it came out there because i like RPGs on handhelds

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Now that the S edition is on all platforms, it's more about if you want to be able to play on the go or not. S on the Switch looked fine to me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I know the new PS4 version is a port of the Switch one with all the new content, but does it run at a higher resolution or framerate? Or is the Switch version the preferred because of the convenience of being able to play how and wherever?

Quoting myself from last page, hope it's what you need:

Ofecks posted:

This video was somewhat helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szCA7t19M4o

TLDR because he didn't make this 100% clear in the comparisons - on all platforms, the S version uses the re-worked (downgraded) Switch assets so it's not quite as detailed as PS4/PC original. Actually, I think the character models look a bit better in most aspects, it's just the environments that took a hit. If you have a PS4Pro/XB1X/gaming PC it will run far better than the Switch version ever could, though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ofecks posted:

The only DQM with a fanpatch has been Caravan Hearts for GBA.

The remake of the first one also has a translation.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So like ten years ago in this thread I gave a copy of Dragon Warrior VII to some poster at a discount rate. I was hoping to get my copy back. I pm'd him but he hasn't answered. Anyone willing to let go of a copy in the future? Can't now but, eh.

Is DQXI S better than the original? I'm a massive DQ fan and XI ps4 remains the only DQ I haven't beaten. I was really disappointed with it and consider it the first bad Dragon Quest. I recognize that's not a common opinion but it's how I feel about the game. I tried the demo to S and it seemed to have the same issues as the original (awful pacing, too much talking, rail roaded story;etc). Is the pacing at least better? I feel like I would I enjoy DQXI 3DS far more. Shame we never got it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Isn't DQ XI 3ds just the 2d version of the Definitive Edition?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Isn't DQ XI 3ds just the 2d version of the Definitive Edition?

No.

DQXI 3ds is in both 3d and 2d. The 3d is chibi.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DQXIS is better than the original release in every way (except graphics, but it's a worthwhile trade off.)

The story and scenario plays out exactly the same, but you do have lots of QOL options, like being able to speed the battles up and even auto-battle. The only story additions they made were these interstitial scenarios where you play as the characters after they get separated between acts 1 and 2. There's also the new Tokkington quests where you get to jump into the worlds of Dragon Quests 1-10. Doing all of them unlocks the super secret ultimate final boss.

You can also go into 2D mode and play through the entire game that way should you choose.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

DQXIS is better than the original release in every way (except graphics, but it's a worthwhile trade off.)

The story and scenario plays out exactly the same, but you do have lots of QOL options, like being able to speed the battles up and even auto-battle. The only story additions they made were these interstitial scenarios where you play as the characters after they get separated between acts 1 and 2. There's also the new Tokkington quests where you get to jump into the worlds of Dragon Quests 1-10. Doing all of them unlocks the super secret ultimate final boss.

You can also go into 2D mode and play through the entire game that way should you choose.

I never even got to Act 2 the first time I played. I truly hated that game. Me hate Dragon Quest. I want to cry just thinking about it. I'll give it another shot then if what you say is true.

Playing in 2D could single handedly fix every flaw DQXI ps4 has.

Have they made the save points on the world map optional? Did they unfuck themselves and make the alchemy pot or whatever usable outside of camp?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 15, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you hated the original release, I dunno if S will be enough to make you do a 180 on it.

That said, doesn't sound like you got too far in the first place. DQXI does the Chrono Trigger/FF6 thing with a pretty linear first half but more open second half.

I forget how saves were handled, but they made the pot 100% better to use and even give you a portable version to use wherever.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you hated the original release, I dunno if S will be enough to make you do a 180 on it.

That said, doesn't sound like you got too far in the first place. DQXI does the Chrono Trigger/FF6 thing with a pretty linear first half but more open second half.

I forget how saves were handled, but they made the pot 100% better to use and even give you a portable version to use wherever.

In the original, they changed it so that the priest in town isn't your main method of saving. They put checkpoints on the world map that allow you to save at a shrine. I really love the adventure of prepping before a voyage, making decisions, saving at the priest, and going off on a voyage only to complete it one go. But they added multiple save points on the way to dungeons which takes away from that decision making/prep feeling. Combined with de-evolving (in DQ?) and making alchemy only at camp, and I wasn't a big fan.

I think the last thing I did in the original was get the ship and go to some island.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
3DS' 2D XI was..different than the S version, I think. Also IIRC after the prologue you had to actively swap between them or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

In the original, they changed it so that the priest in town isn't your main method of saving. They put checkpoints on the world map that allow you to save at a shrine. I really love the adventure of prepping before a voyage, making decisions, saving at the priest, and going off on a voyage only to complete it one go. But they added multiple save points on the way to dungeons which takes away from that decision making/prep feeling. Combined with de-evolving (in DQ?) and making alchemy only at camp, and I wasn't a big fan.

I think the last thing I did in the original was get the ship and go to some island.

Ah, that's right. Well, the thing you gotta keep in mind is that DQXIS was developed for Switch, so adding more save points was probably a concession to making the game more portable friendly.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Jupiter Jazz posted:

So like ten years ago in this thread I gave a copy of Dragon Warrior VII to some poster at a discount rate. I was hoping to get my copy back. I pm'd him but he hasn't answered. Anyone willing to let go of a copy in the future? Can't now but, eh.

Is DQXI S better than the original? I'm a massive DQ fan and XI ps4 remains the only DQ I haven't beaten. I was really disappointed with it and consider it the first bad Dragon Quest. I recognize that's not a common opinion but it's how I feel about the game. I tried the demo to S and it seemed to have the same issues as the original (awful pacing, too much talking, rail roaded story;etc). Is the pacing at least better? I feel like I would I enjoy DQXI 3DS far more. Shame we never got it.

Dqvii 3ds or playstation?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I will say that as a player whose first introduction to Dragon Quest is XI on PC, I definitely appreciated the additional save points and that the last time I played a JRPG that got me as invested in new characters as this game has was FF9 or Front Mission 3, whichever came later, LOL.

73+ hours in, and I'm only just beginning to get near the end of Act 2. Excited to see what happens post-game. Gold Cup horse race on Difficult can eat a bag of dicks though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 15, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, that's right. Well, the thing you gotta keep in mind is that DQXIS was developed for Switch, so adding more save points was probably a concession to making the game more portable friendly.

Nah, this was in the original.

I'm not averse to save points. Mobile and 3ds DQ's have a quick save feature if you need it. But I could ignore it and go on my usual DQ adventure. But in XI, I see save points, on the world map. Of DQ. It's like getting more bonfires in a Souls game. Tuck in quick save in the menu somewhere, but adding camps as save points and ruining the priest dynamic after 30+ years is ridiculous.

garthoneeye posted:

Dqvii 3ds or playstation?

PS.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I’m pretty sure I lost my playstation copy, sorry. If you’re interested in the 3ds one let me know.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

garthoneeye posted:

I’m pretty sure I lost my playstation copy, sorry. If you’re interested in the 3ds one let me know.

I've got it. It's the PS version I gave away. Oh well. It's not that expensive, so that's good news.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Tuck in quick save in the menu somewhere, but adding camps as save points and ruining the priest dynamic after 30+ years is ridiculous.

I..strongly disagree. I liked setting up camp and stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I also hate save icons. I'm glad games moved towards autosaving and just putting it in a menu.

Man, he's gonna hate it when he finds out he can just buy materials while crafting instead of having to fight 16 monsters for the three drops the new helmet needs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Tuck in quick save in the menu somewhere, but adding camps as save points and ruining the priest dynamic after 30+ years is ridiculous.

They hosed up by not letting your own party's priest save the game starting in DQ3. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
At the risk of alienating this thread, I figure I should write why I dislike XI beyond what I've said before. I alienate everyone in every gaming thread here on this forum, so I might as well. Maybe my thoughts can be further examined and given an opposing viewpoint. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to be. Maybe I jumped the gun. I'd like that to be true. So I'll articulate how I feel about it. This extends past DQXI and towards the entire jrpg genre.

To understand why I dislike XI you have to understand why I love Dragon Quest to begin with.

Let's start with something that doesn't even have a name: its method of storytelling. In the art world you have definitions for various art movements: realism, impressionism, cubism, surrealism...consider these templates that use their art in the form of a methodology. Games have no such art movements, at least officially. But for the sake of practicality, and excuse me for the extreme likelihood of creating rising pretension here, let's file Dragon Quest away in what I'll call Japanese Minimalism in the video game narrative art movement it encompasses.

What is Japanese minimalism? It's the storytelling method to always tell a story minimally.

Let me use an example. Take, say, Shadow of the Colossus. The game has minimal cutscenes. It tells the story of a wanderer who travels to a foreign country in the hopes in reviving his love, who has perished from this world. In order to achieve this, he tries to kill Colossi monsters that walk its landscape. That's it. But throughout the story we are given story visually through the game. You'll notice the more colossi you kill the more grave, white, and sickly the Wanderer looks. At the end of the game, once he kills the final Colossus he dies, trading him life away for his lover. Shadow of the Colossus uses the uniqueness of the video game medium to tell a story through visuals interaction, keen observation, and minimal cutscenes.

This is a uniquely Japanese game art movement. Other games in this movement would be Silent Hill 1-3, Shin Megami Tensei games particularly III, Souls games, and a myriad of RPGs.

Final Fantasy, for what it's worth, is the complete opposite of this movement starting as early as II nes or IV. FF is all about cutscenes and telling the story in a cinematic manner.

Now, let's turn to Dragon Quest. There's a moment in VII when you wander into a lone, dark town. The mists are purple and everything is abandoned. Yet beyond the vale of that purple rain, the party scouts statues. Were they crafted? Or were they people? We don't know. The game lets the player sit, with no cutscene, about the implications of what it means, who it was. Nothing is explained. The party continues onward on their journey. Dragon Quest has always been great about that. It takes quiet moments that don't readily explain their implications too readily. They allow the player sit and just feel the brunt of them without laboring about what it means like an FF game. FF diehards that hate DQ hate this method of storytelling and have accused Dragon Quest over the years of "not having a story". Similar complaints have been lobbied at games like the aforementioned SMTIII: Nocturne upon release despite having strong messages and things to say about the world.

Another example of DQ minimalism and player interaction is in V. Spoilers for those that haven't played it. In V you and your wife are turned to stone moments after the birth of your children. The hero is brought to a market, stolen by thieves and separated by the love of his life. He is bought as a mere piece of property where he sits as a lawn ornament for a family who have a son not quite that far off from his own children. There he stews and simmers as a solid stone forced to watch some child grow up before his eyes. He's kicked over in anger by the "owner" at one point and the seasons pass. Winter turns spring and into fall. It stands as one of the most captivating scenes ever written in a video game.

You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlMDlXnJ_5c

You'll notice that there's not really that much dialogue here and what dialogue there is done to tell the necessary story beats.

That is Dragon Quest storytelling. DQ is great at communicating hard things without belaboring them with too much unnecessary "stuff". It always tells what's necessary and sticks to the point to get its emotions across. Some of the most powerful moments in the franchise are treated with absolutely zero or extremely minimal dialogue, whether it's a robot trying to serve its mummified owner tea or some other vignette.

I love that about DQ.

So this brings to DQXI. So much time is spent on excess. You've got some character named Erik that yap, yap, yaps. All the time. Yap, yap, yap. Almost to the point where he feels like the main character and not the Hero. So much is spent on feelings and what to do and less time on letting the player figure out things for themselves. Gone is the quiet DQ atmosphere that even VIII respected.

For a long time now the jrpg genre has kind of drifted away from my wants. When the genre changed there was always DQ sitting there on the shelf always ready to be taken up and explored. Final Fantasy decided it wants to be an action game now. Persona 5 is full of yap yap. Is it more of a VN or an RPG? I'm not quite sure, maybe the cat will give me permission to explore its world. Oh no, it's time for bed. The game will decide for me. Suikoden is dead. Valkyrie Profile too. When was the last time we had an srpg with a real meaty, dark story like FFT or TO or Front Mission? So in a genre where nothing seems to be sure there was always DQ. DQ was never stagnant, it improved entry to entry. It got to a point where I considered pre-XI DQ to be jrpg perfection: 30 years of perfection distilled is hard to top. It's hard to find better rpgs than DQVII 3DS.

Then I get DQXI and deal with some babbling thief. So many non-DQ fans love DQXI, and I'm happy for them. It seems many DQ fans like it too but it overwhelmingly felt like a reaction game: a game made for people that don't like DQ more than for the people that do. For the Final Fantasy players that want things explained and can't deal with a moment of quiet in their game. Not that there's anything wrong with that as I love FF. But keep FF "FF" and DQ "DQ". Apples and oranges are both great. I didn't buy a single jrpg until this year since playing XI. It's hard for me to not consider DQXI outright betrayal of DQ stands for and for that reason it's for me to not openly resent it.

At least I have Souls games still. Can't wait when FromSoft buckles from pressure with those and decides you can save anywhere and that the games just need more cutscenes than usual. Really looking forward to Social Links in SMTV.

I've been playing Fire Emblem 1 on my Switch and sighed relief at the simplicity. It reminded me of my love for DQ. No stupid cutscenes, endless babble, easy modes, or other horse poo poo. Just resource management and decision making, the way RPGs used to be. Playing it made me fall in love with the genre again.

I'm old basically. I'm increasingly not even sure why I still play video games anymore.

Hopefully someone somewhere out there connects with this post so I don't feel like I'm screaming into a vacuum.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

What.