Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hero, fighter -> soldier, and two sages. i think my levels were fairly similar to yours. one sage was on permanent sage stone duty, the other did supplemental healing, and i wailed away on him with the physical fighters. basically just a matter of keeping everybody on their feet and dishing out slightly more damage than he heals every turn, the wizard rings were very important for keeping the second sage running long enough to avoid succumbing to attrition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jazerus posted:

hero, fighter -> soldier, and two sages. i think my levels were fairly similar to yours. one sage was on permanent sage stone duty, the other did supplemental healing, and i wailed away on him with the physical fighters. basically just a matter of keeping everybody on their feet and dishing out slightly more damage than he heals every turn, the wizard rings were very important for keeping the second sage running long enough to avoid succumbing to attrition

Hmmm... not sure what I did wrong. My last run in the game I had soldier/pilgrim/mage. I forget which one I turned into a sage, but I had the other caster learn all of the other spellbook then turn into a soldier. Meanwhile, the soldier was eventually multi-classed into both pilgrim and sage so that, by the end of the game, I had a standard hero/soldier/pilgrim/sage party but every non-hero character knew every spell in the game that wasn't hero-specific. This turned out to be overkill on my part. Having an extra mage caster for Bikill in major fights is nice and having another healer on top of Sage+Hero is great, but having an extra nuker wasn't as helpful as i had hoped. There's no particular reason to have a wizard/pilgrim rather than a sage (wizards do get a lot of MP, granted) and there are other ways to get the sage transformation, but I don't have the patience to level a goof-off and the only other option I remember is a ridiculously rare drop from an overworld enemy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i just started off with a goof-off. the game is pretty easy up until you hit the class change tower thing and i'd just come off of dq2 so operating with effectively three party members didn't feel so bad.

i do remember keeping bikill up on both physical attackers was pretty key. there are turns where you don't need to heal at all and on those turns you can slap bikill on both of them, otherwise the non-sage-stone sage is on bikill duty whenever you don't need extra healing and having bikill on both of them is the only real way to outpace the attrition. i even had the sage bikill himself a few times and attack for a bit of extra damage iirc; since he had been a goof-off his physical stats weren't terrible

nukes are pretty useless yeah unfortunately.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 17, 2022

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I thought getting up to level 48 was a pain. No way i'm doing anything that requires grinding to 77

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/ryorca/status/1593065556894441472/video/1

amazing

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nihilarian posted:

I thought getting up to level 48 was a pain. No way i'm doing anything that requires grinding to 77

There's a late-game grinding spot high on Metal Babbles that makes it... tolerable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1593425650919952384?s=46&t=ShcLRQx1_Fqf11ikPwu3eQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

this world is blessed

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Uhh WTF? Naka went off the rails at Square Enid.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

From what I could gather, it's in reference to buying stocks for the company behind Tact.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

should have arrested him for unleashing balan wonderworld on us instead

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

should have arrested him for unleashing balan wonderworld on us instead
:yeah:
oh my god it's so fast this is perfect

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Like a month ago i wasn't paying any attention to dq stuff so i just found out they're remaking 3 again and i'm now interested

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Finally got around to playing through the PSX version of VII. Something I've been trying to do since it was released.

I had an original copy that I bought when it came out and got to just a little after Dharma Temple before my Playstation was stolen. I attempted to emulate it a long time ago, and it was too buggy to play. Tried again a few years later and lost my save somehow ~50 hours in. Now in 2022 it still runs choppy in parts but works fine mostly emulated on the steam deck.

Finally played through. Around 110 hours to killing the demon lord fella. The little celebration tour you take after the final story boss was a nice touch. Gonna mess with the post game stuff now.

I really like the class system in this game, but I feel like it could have been better. Should have been able to swap classes sooner. Monster hearts should be easier to get, etc. The monsters classes feel really underdone.

Overall though, I liked the game a lot. Had a good time.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 24, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the 3ds remake solves the monster heart problem and also provides a benefit to using them at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It kinda feels like an inconsequential buff in practice though, like Druids definitely want Multiheal which you only get from healslimes but most of the advanced vocation skillsets for Hero/Champion/Druid are otherwise “90% of the stuff you got from other vocations. I’m sure there’s other stuff in the advanced monster jobs that I’m overlooking though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you don't need to do any of that, no. but the marginal benefit of keeping learned monster abilities through class changes is more than you got in the ps1 version. there, monster classes had no advantage and were painfully difficult to obtain and use. many of the key hearts to go up through the class tree were drop only, without the advantage of tablet dungeons. so you'd likely have to grind for hours if not days to get one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is there any real advantage to playing the PSX version of 7 with the 3DS version out there? In a lot of cases there are some ways in which older versions of remade games are advantageous (apart from blatant nostalgia). For example, a lot of people prefer the PSX version of Final Fantasy Tactics because they fancy the janky translation (for some reason) or don't like the technical issues of the PSP version (that I can understand). On the other hand, there are games like the DS remake of Mario 64 that I consider superior in every way apart from perhaps resolution. Does the original DQ7 have anything on the 3DS version?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I suppose if you really hate the puns and accents that permeate the newer Squenix localizations the PSX localization doesn't have them, but otherwise the 3DS version of VII is absolutely better in every way. It can even be patched if you have a soft-modded 3DS to have the orchestral soundtrack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The monster art is incredible in the PSX version

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the 3D models and animations are all accurate to the PSX version, though, and in exchange you have to put up with everything else looking way worse. Having the character models change with vocation changes is a much bigger graphical upgrade IMO, and the 3D is actually pretty good looking with the right option on - IIRC it's weirdly the one that sounds like it would be weaker 3D but it's actually stronger.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is uncommon, but legitimate, to have a preference for the less streamlined event scripting of the original.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I mostly just played the psx version because that was the specific one I never got to finish.

I really enjoyed the game. Basically a bunch of tiny stories. Lots of charm.

I am gonna play XI again next I think. I played it on release on PS4. Might give the 2d version a shot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the 3ds version of 7 drastically shortened and simplified the opening sequence. that was obviously a good thing since it really went on for too long, but i think they went a little too far.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Malaria posted:

Now in 2022 it still runs choppy in parts but works fine mostly emulated on the steam deck.

"Choppy" is certainly one way I would describe DQ7's PS1 presentation, like, in general. And that was on real hardware. The monster animations were good, at least.

Hope the remake gets a PC port at some point, for accessibility and longevity.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bongo Bill posted:

It is uncommon, but legitimate, to have a preference for the less streamlined event scripting of the original.

It's me. I'm the guy who thinks cutting much of the opening hours was a bad idea. There was so much mystery and puzzle solving and it made the first real fight much more impactful

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So after finishing up the psx version of VII, I'm still wanting some more dragon quest.

I've played 7, 8 ,9 and 11 all the way through. I played a bit here and there of 1 and 4.

What should I play next? Whats the consensus best game that I haven't played through?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Please play 5 as soon as possible.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SkeletonHero posted:

Please play 5 as soon as possible.

Not emptyquoting

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

DQV sounds good to me. What's the best format for it? The ps2 remake?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Malaria posted:

Probably the DS version, which has the PS2 remake improvements, but there's nothing wrong with the PS2 version either.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ps2 DQV has a unique art style that is pretty cool

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Malaria posted:

DS or, if you're ok with touchscreen joysticks, mobile. Mobile port has an exclusive accessory that makes it easier to tame monsters, and there's more of the overworld visible on screen (as opposed to the lower DS screen taken up by the world map). That's all I can think of, the two versions are identical otherwise. Not sure if there's a framerate difference: mobile seems to run at 30fps but DS might've too.

e: a very key difference is that if you play the mobile port, you will actually be supporting the developers. It was $15 on Google Play when I bought it a few years back.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ofecks posted:

The current game on my "Hey Let's Actually Play My Steam Library" project is Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm most of the way through the main story, and it's been interesting. My first Musou game. I'm not very good at it. Already spent a lot of time looking at forums/GameFAQs/YouTube for gameplay tips. Is the really close camera angle A Thing in these types of games? Really wish I could zoom it out a bit. And that there was an equippable accessory or something that auto-looted item drops. Apparently Terry is completely OP and I didn't play him at all until yesterday. Normally I use Bianca to clear trash and Nera to nuke packs of beefies. I'm going for 100% achievements, about halfway there so far.

Just sliding in to say that Heroes 2 is extremely good and also worth playing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want another Builders game please

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Holy poo poo they really are about to just drop this dragon quest treasures game on us aren't they?

I saw a quick gameplay video and my mind is kind of blown... It's like Dragon warrior monsters meets breath of the wild but with more things to do?? Holy poo poo and using the monster abilities for movement. Yes please

Part of me is a little disappointed that it isn't a proper monster game but whatever, I know they're working on one and meanwhile I have Siralim Ultimate for that. Whatever this is though just looks fantastic

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I want another Builders game please

:emptyquote:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

KingSlime posted:

Part of me is a little disappointed that it isn't a proper monster game but whatever, I know they're working on one

I don't think they are? Treasures started as a proper Monsters game from what I remember hearing, but now it's morphed into what we have now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh really? Ah well Siralim Ultimate is still a great spiritual sequel to dragon warrior monsters 2. I'm still pretty early on so I've got a ton of content to go through in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
How well do the Builders games run on Switch? I have both on my wish list and they might go on special during the holiday season. I play my Switch almost entirely in portable mode, and it's not the most powerful hardware as you know.