Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Cool the DQ7 remake gave the characters more pre-class change skills. So far the only one I've encountered is Maribel learning Bang, but that's already a huge improvement over her original skillset of Blaze, Sleep, Sap, Heal, and Surround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was going to post in this thread to complain about how I got lost in the game and couldn't find the next tablet to advance, and how the imp wouldn't help me at all when I asked for leads. Then I tried the in-game info on "Next tablet" and got exactly what I needed. Thanks, Obama. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Does anyone know if the Hearts monsters drop are gated by some sort of level and/or story progression? They've dropped really infrequently except for the basic Slime Heart for me, but I could just be unlucky.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think they're just really rare drops.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bongo Bill posted:

Which version were you playing? The remakes drastically improve the EXP curve

I'll second this. I played the SFC remake of DQ1 not that long ago and I was amazed by how much faster you level up. Late game, I was dinging about once every 15-20 minutes, no exaggeration. Also, they added a bit of new content off of the game world. For example, there is a cave where you can get the second-best shield in the game for free if you make it to the bottom, which I'm fairly sure wasn't in the original.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

In Training posted:

I think they're just really rare drops.
They were just really rare drops in the original, no idea if the remake changed that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After 15 hours I've almost unlocked the job system. I'm loving this game so far and have the feeling ill be chipping away at it for a long time to come

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Playing Dragon Quest V right now and will I get another chance to give that dude the tea set I got from the first dungeon?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh thank Christ the beginning of the 7 remake is so much less awful than in the original.

Also wow it looks fantastic, but that was to be expected. Gonna be playing this one for a long time, I think I had 80 hours in the original version and wasn't even halfway done.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nearly 400 Drake Slimes killed and not a single heart. I've resigned myself to this fate.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does Hero class in 7 work like 6 where MC gets it just by mastering an advanced vocation?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm cruising along here and just finished up Faraday's events and... erm... I'm not sure I see the romance and decency in letting that robot try to feed perpetually reheated soup to an old assholes skeleton for the rest of eternity.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Once you get to where you can change jobs it feels like a sisyphean task to actually unlock them. I'm through now and the hero is finally a sailor like his dad wanted.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I know you sort of cycle through party members or something in this game, does it have a system where you automatically transfer equipment between them or should I be constantly unequipping everyone any time plot looks like it might happen?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They will put all their equipment in your bag if they're leaving for a significant period of time or permanently

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

In Training posted:

They will put all their equipment in your bag if they're leaving for a significant period of time or permanently

Characters that return keep their equipped items on them until they come back I believe. In the JP version at least

It's never an issue except with one character and the character that replaces them comes in with a unique weapon and can use better armor so barely an issue at all really

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 18, 2016

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Caidin posted:

I'm cruising along here and just finished up Faraday's events and... erm... I'm not sure I see the romance and decency in letting that robot try to feed perpetually reheated soup to an old assholes skeleton for the rest of eternity.

Yeah. I was just talking to a friend about this. All the NPCs treat it like that's the happy ending but I found it extremely depressing. Personally I'd have found it much more humane to put ELLIE out of her misery. And advance scientific understanding as a plus.

I finished alltrades abbey. Man that was grueling. My advice to everyone is to buy like 50 medicinal herbs and keep em in ur bag.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 18, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What's all this stuff I see about level caps? People keep mentioning it is it with job classes that they won't go higher than a certain level in areas? When I played DQ7 on PS1 I remember grinding a bit.

Also - the mountain boss where you recruit Ruff is pretty much the first "difficult" boss I'd say after going through that whole dungeon. The boss getting multiple turns per round is rough. The all trades abbey boss will probably be worse.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alltrades Abbey was first time I had real issues with something

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Harlock posted:

What's all this stuff I see about level caps? People keep mentioning it is it with job classes that they won't go higher than a certain level in areas? When I played DQ7 on PS1 I remember grinding a bit.

Even in the PS1 version, each island had a level cap after which you wouldn't gain job progression. It's pretty generous unless you're dedicatedly grinding.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Alltrades Abbey was first time I had real issues with something

I'm excited because everything has been a cakewalk so far. I'm probably overleveled since dungeons are so narrow that you can barely dodge enemies.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
In the original you usually weren't grinding much if at all before dharma but were actually taking the time to grind at various points during and after. In the remake that translates to you having more fights at more exp before that point but as you play more and more without actively grinding things balance out better. Thief also lets you just 100% avoid encounters.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I never played the original 7, so to those that have, was the battle at the end of the first island with Maeve originally much harder? That really felt like it was gearing up to be a bigger encounter, but then wasn't. The game even fully heals you up beforehand but it finished in one round for me.

I can see why it would be easy story-wise, but the full heal beforehand just seems weird in that context then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know, but I'd say it was intentionally easy since she didn't want to live, but didn't want to outright commit suicide.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Sadly, I've had to make do with hearts that have been present in treasure chests as I progress for my monster party. But now the main character is one of those Chimaera guys and that means I'm gonna be breathing fire on everyone. Hopefully it gets more than the first tier of the fire breath. I mean, Healslimes definitely didn't know Midheal or Fullheal, so I'm assuming this guy will also be stronger than the monster of the same name.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

HPanda posted:

I never played the original 7, so to those that have, was the battle at the end of the first island with Maeve originally much harder? That really felt like it was gearing up to be a bigger encounter, but then wasn't. The game even fully heals you up beforehand but it finished in one round for me.

I can see why it would be easy story-wise, but the full heal beforehand just seems weird in that context then.

I didn't even get a chance to get a hit in. Hanlon attacked on the first turn and crit, winning the fight, so oddly appropriate.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Am I the only one who used the doll in that fight!?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Srice posted:

Am I the only one who used the doll in that fight!?

I also had Hanlon one shot her and never had the chance

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think I had Maribel use the doll on turn one and since she's faster than 'ol bloodthirsty Hanlon I managed to use it.

It results in the same outcome in the end of that scene course but it's real neat that there are a lot of small choices that result in tiny differences.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

HPanda posted:

Not at all. It takes several rounds (which is more thematically appropriate imo) but you won't be taking any damage

Looper fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 19, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How do you actually do anything with monster hearts, idk how to use them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

In Training posted:

How do you actually do anything with monster hearts, idk how to use them.

Have them in the inventory of someone and then talk to the Alltrades Abbey guy to become a monster class.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Have them in the inventory of someone and then talk to the Alltrades Abbey guy to become a monster class.

Thank you! Although I only have one that actually dropped. Do monster classes level up mastery like a normal class?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It's a shame they didn't revamp the monster class system, having this weird evolution tree you have to parse through to get stuff like Golem is great but most of that poo poo's locked behind so many hearts that are only available way later on in the game that there's not much point pursuing it early on beyond aesthetics or if you want the heal all spell from the heal slime

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Harlock posted:

Also - the mountain boss where you recruit Ruff is pretty much the first "difficult" boss I'd say after going through that whole dungeon. The boss getting multiple turns per round is rough. The all trades abbey boss will probably be worse.

Every area has a level cap that, if you're fighting there after you pass that cap, it won't count towards leveling up your classes, so like, you can't just go back to the volcano and fight weak rear end enemies until you become a Hero or whatever. The area outside of Alltrade is like, capped at 23, for example. It doesn't matter all that much because even with the adjusted experience in the 3DS version, you'd have to grind a lot to hit the caps while you're in those areas.

In the PS1 version, literally every area that was unlocked on disc 2 had a cap of 99, so it wasn't like you could permanently screw yourself (I've also heard the tablet dungeons don't have a level cap, but I don't know if that's true or not)

Perfect Potato posted:

It's a shame they didn't revamp the monster class system, having this weird evolution tree you have to parse through to get stuff like Golem is great but most of that poo poo's locked behind so many hearts that are only available way later on in the game that there's not much point pursuing it early on beyond aesthetics or if you want the heal all spell from the heal slime

They revamped them in the sense that monster classes actually give you permanent skills/spells, unlike the advanced human classes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anyone know what the drop rate is for normal/non-heart items? I've been beating up these robots and one coughed up an axe that is significantly stronger than anything I can buy right now. Is it worth my while to try for another or should I move on with my life?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Anyone know what the drop rate is for normal/non-heart items? I've been beating up these robots and one coughed up an axe that is significantly stronger than anything I can buy right now. Is it worth my while to try for another or should I move on with my life?

DQ drop rates are not something you should ever put your hopes into

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Every area has a level cap that, if you're fighting there after you pass that cap, it won't count towards leveling up your classes, so like, you can't just go back to the volcano and fight weak rear end enemies until you become a Hero or whatever. The area outside of Alltrade is like, capped at 23, for example. It doesn't matter all that much because even with the adjusted experience in the 3DS version, you'd have to grind a lot to hit the caps while you're in those areas.

In the PS1 version, literally every area that was unlocked on disc 2 had a cap of 99, so it wasn't like you could permanently screw yourself (I've also heard the tablet dungeons don't have a level cap, but I don't know if that's true or not)

They revamped them in the sense that monster classes actually give you permanent skills/spells, unlike the advanced human classes.

Idk if they changed them but I havent grinded at all (did all the available traveller's tablet dungeons, though) and fights in the sand island available right after Alltrades do not give me job level ups. Everyone is around level 18 I think.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
DQVIII 3DS was confirmed to have english voice acting--apparently it sounded like the PS2 version's--but the soundtrack is again going to be a MIDI version. No reason was given, but it has to be rights issues or something because it's more work to replace something like that rather than keep it the same and the only "official" reason given for VII's change was "Well, uh, *nervous smile* you see...nowadays...uh...about synthesizers...uh...it's very small, the difference in quality between synthesizers and orchestras."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've played through the NA PS2 version, but the OST I have is the JP one. The synthesized music is fine. All the tracks from the OST carry the same weight and emotion as I remember and I'm sure it'll be the same on 3DS. To be honest, I find the symphonic suite is a little too good and sounds a bit out-of-place in the game. Maybe if I were classically trained, I'd think differently. :shrug: