Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

some guy on the bus posted:

It just needed a good 40-50 hours cut and then it would be up for debate with the best DQs.

DQ5 took me 30 hours. Perfect length. Why in the world would they come up with the idea that DQ7 needed to be 100 hours?

You have to remember that back in the PS1 era, going back even to the SNES era, there was a real sentiment of "longer game = better game" and coupled with the fact that you could pretty much make a game as long as you wanted with the advent of disc-based media, you wound up with some obscenely long RPGs.
FF7 setting the standard with a 3-disc game probably didn't help matters either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

raditts posted:

As much as I remember the original DQ games to be grindfests, I haven't had to grind in any of the mobile remakes. I just fight every battle and never run unless I'm close to dying, and it keeps me leveled pretty well with enemies / bosses.

As for 5 being the "best of the bunch" I liked 4 much better than 5, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion. The final boss in 5 is nowhere near as epic.

In four games, I'd say the last boss of IV has been the only time I've really HAD to grind. I just couldn't withstand the onslaught of breath attacks in the last phase. I'm pretty sure I got close to beating him at level 28, but eventually I went out to level until the hero learned Omniheal and Meena learned Insulate. After that I beat him first try.

YggiDee posted:

Soooo who was your MVP, and why was it Alena?

She fuckin' was, man! She was a crit-machine and the perfect candidate for using the Sage Stone. I'd say the Hero was a close second just from his equipment and versatility. LVP-But-Still Award goes to Torneko for just being a fat lovable family man, with his packed lunches and poo poo. Made me smile even though I never started him after his chapter.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

raditts posted:

You have to remember that back in the PS1 era, going back even to the SNES era, there was a real sentiment of "longer game = better game" and coupled with the fact that you could pretty much make a game as long as you wanted with the advent of disc-based media, you wound up with some obscenely long RPGs.
FF7 setting the standard with a 3-disc game probably didn't help matters either.

FF7 wasn't really a long game though, it was just loaded with cutting edge FMV and poo poo. I think the 'standard' benchmark for myself on a first playthrough of most games from that era was around 35 hours, and the number of discs seldom made a difference. Grandia was considered Sega's "FF7 Killer" at the time, and it was a longer game with only 2 discs. DQ7 was what, between 2 and 3 times the length of FF7 on average?

I think longer games are generally better, with the caveat that the game needs to be enjoyable enough to play for extended time. Xenoblade? Perfect jRPG, didn't get boring at all in 80+ hours.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

raditts posted:

As for 5 being the "best of the bunch" I liked 4 much better than 5, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion. The final boss in 5 is nowhere near as epic.

I agree with you :hfive:

I really liked the chapter structure and how quick and punch each one was. It was cool to see how things changed in the final chapter too. 5 is great, it just doesn't do quite as much for me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

... actually being honest, disc 1 is the part of 7 I really like. Just going to all the sealed off parts of the world, solving their problems, and fixing the world.

It does get kinda boring once Orgodemir actually shows up.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dragon Quest V in the bag, chaps. Major spoilers incoming seriously for real:

final team was second gen Papa, legendary hero son, sage-stone-fodder daughter, and adorable fluffy kitty Saber. Special guest appearance by Slime Knight for healing. Everyone was 32-34. I found that last fight harder than IV and III. I will probably move on to VI instead of postgame, even though I hear it's good.

I didn't end up having much of a monster roster, despite being excited about it. I did play some T'n'T! For some reason I didn't do much treasure hunting so I ended up with lovely gear. Minor spoiler incoming

I LOVE the knick-knack museum. It reminds me of the museum from the Morrowind expansion. I did go searching for some of the artifacts and enjoyed that. The little blurbs were cool.

all in all, amazing game. So many good moments. Give the art style a more "serious" veneer and they'd probably be more memorable than the moments in FF7.

On to 6!

Edit: how can I forget Ned Flanders in dragon form

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 30, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TheHoosier posted:

Edit: how can I forget Ned Flanders in dragon form

:stare: Please remind me of what this is, it's been a few years since I played the game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You haven't played TnT until you've played the endgame TnT.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
5 has such a cool, non-cookie cutter plot

no other DQ game has topped it imo

the twist about who the legendary hero really is was absolutely mind-bending to younger me when i first played a translated rom

such a cool way of circumventing/playing into the oldest JRPG trope

then you get to 6, which has about the most vanilla plot for an SNES rpg ever. meh

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ofecks posted:

:stare: Please remind me of what this is, it's been a few years since I played the game.

the Zenithian Dr.Agon (god that's almost as good of a long pun as Zere Rocks.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Last Celebration posted:

the Zenithian Dr.Agon (god that's almost as good of a long pun as Zere Rocks.

For real, he goes from stoic dragon with a strong manner of speaking to straight up Ned Flanders. It's jarring and hilarious

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

(DQ8) Help, I can't make a decision, should I go for claws or hammers for Morrie?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Claws.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
hammers

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're planning on doing postgame content, claws give multiple abilities that bypass enemy defense, which comes in handy on a few of the superbosses.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd say claws for Morrie, his hammer skillset looks a lot like Yangus' axe stuff but claws has all his cool poo poo. Including one attack that wipes out enemy buffs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm nearly finished with DQ8 (Gotta beat true Rhapthorne but I gotta really set aside some time for that, what with the prologue with the staff taking forever) and I was thinking about getting, the other really good DS DQ game, 5. Couple question though. How many save files does the game give you and do your kids look any different based on who you marry?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You get three and your kids have different hair depending on the mom like Fire Emblem.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perfect.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It's lovely that dq8 has only two save slots.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

It's lovely that dq8 has only two save slots.

The real problem that sneaks up on you is that there's only one quick save slot. So, you better make sure you only save in churches, if you start a new playthrough!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DQ Heroes 2

Anyone know what's up with the FPS dips?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

So it turns out I'm pretty severely underleveled I think.

I got wrecked by Dhoulmagus at the Dark Ruins, so I looked up what the recommended level for that fight is, and its level 28.
My party members are all between 22 and 24, and every fight I do in Dark Ruins only gives me like 300xp. But I need like 5000+ xp per level, and I don't really want to 300 battles to get up to 28.

Am I missing something? Do I really need to do all the grinding, or is there something easy I missed?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There comes a point in everyone's life where they realize that the levels recommended by GameFAQs writers are always unreasonably high. Congratulations, son. I'm proud of you.

Dhoulmagus is just a difficult fight. That said, now might be a good opportunity to do a bunch of alchemy, beef up your monster team, do a few photo challenges, see if there are any treasure chests you missed, that sort of thing.

A bit of grinding won't hurt you, but don't do it against the enemies in the Dark Ruins. Instead, head back to Castle Trodain, where you can encounter Liquid Metal Slimes. If you're playing on 3DS, you can stand in between two enemy spawn points and rotate the camera until you see one appear, and then chase it down.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

There comes a point in everyone's life where they realize that the levels recommended by GameFAQs writers are always unreasonably high. Congratulations, son. I'm proud of you.

Dhoulmagus is just a difficult fight. That said, now might be a good opportunity to do a bunch of alchemy, beef up your monster team, do a few photo challenges, see if there are any treasure chests you missed, that sort of thing.

A bit of grinding won't hurt you, but don't do it against the enemies in the Dark Ruins. Instead, head back to Castle Trodain, where you can encounter Liquid Metal Slimes. If you're playing on 3DS, you can stand in between two enemy spawn points and rotate the camera until you see one appear, and then chase it down.

I've never heard of this monster team thing. I guess that has to do with Morries quest?

And I forgot all about the metal slimes in castle trodain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I've never heard of this monster team thing. I guess that has to do with Morries quest?

And I forgot all about the metal slimes in castle trodain.

The Monster Arena is the big red-and-green building between Ascantha and Pickham. Check out the top of it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The liquid metal spines in castle Trodaun can be spawned easily if you're playing the 3ds version. There is a small room on the floor with the throne room that has a table. Just spin the camera on one side of the table till they spawn on the other side.

You can beat Dhoulmagus at your level. He's very tough before you get multiheal but doable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dhoulmagus is extremely mighty. When I beat him, Yangus and Angelo were dead, Eight didn't have Zing, and Jessica was barely keeping the two of them up with Caduceus. Eight was Oomphed and just keep Falcon Slashing and just barely managed to eke out a win with about 22 health between them.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I found some liquid metal slimes at trodain, but I haven't been able to beat any yet. I haven't been able to get two turns on them.
I had one turn where everyone was able to hit and I did about 5 damage (one of those was a metal slash), but it fled the next turn.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I found some liquid metal slimes at trodain, but I haven't been able to beat any yet. I haven't been able to get two turns on them.
I had one turn where everyone was able to hit and I did about 5 damage (one of those was a metal slash), but it fled the next turn.

Yangus doesn't have hatchet man and the hero doesn't have thunder thrust? You really wanna just use moves with a chance to crit and pray on them coming through.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yangus doesn't have hatchet man and the hero doesn't have thunder thrust? You really wanna just use moves with a chance to crit and pray on them coming through.

Oh yeah, Yangus has Hatchet man. My player character hasn't specced into spears though :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Oh yeah, Yangus has Hatchet man. My player character hasn't specced into spears though :shrug:

Those are the only skills that're available to you that'll breeze past defense if they land right now. Just listed both since there was a chance you had them both.

Anyway, keep using Hatchet Man to try and kill them.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Oh wow, Hatchet Man is literally like 70x better than metal slash when it hits.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
whoop whoop

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Oh wow, Hatchet Man is literally like 70x better than metal slash when it hits.

Criticals outright ignore defense, and liquid metal slimes have single-digit HP.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Turns out I had to grind liquid metal slimes to get Angelo to level 30 so he could learn multiheal in order for me to beat the second phase of Dhoulmagus

So yeah, I was way under leveled

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Multiheal makes it much easier but you absolutely can beat him way before level 30.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Just make a Cheiron's Bow. So much faster than grinding to 30.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ok, so here's the other thing. I'm really bad at alchemy. I know I'm missing a bunch of recipes because I didn't know you were supposed to read the bookshelves starting off, and I never end having all the ingredients for stuff anyway, and I don't know where to get them

I guess I could just look everything up, but that's not much fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Multiheal makes it much easier but you absolutely can beat him way before level 30.

Raitzeno posted:

Just make a Cheiron's Bow. So much faster than grinding to 30.

Yes, it's possible to beat him at a lower level people. It's just easier if you're at a higher one. He found a strategy that works for him, let him live.