Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

DQ Builders is lowkey one of the best games in 10 years, everything about it is just a pure joy. I've never been into Minecraft or Terraria or anything like it, but the slick art style and easy controls for building had me making elaborate and insane forts for hours on end. Plus it's just so drat cute.

Yeah but I hope the sequel has better combat tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I hope that builders 2 is as much of an improvement as DQHeroes 2 was over one. I wish that they released a dlc that was just a retread of dragon warrior. They had all the art assets to do it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bentacos posted:

I hope that builders 2 is as much of an improvement as DQHeroes 2 was over one. I wish that they released a dlc that was just a retread of dragon warrior. They had all the art assets to do it.

Is DQHeroes 2 really that much better than 1? If so then loving hell I need to get it, the first one is so good.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I thought they were just porting the first builders over to the Switch/PS4, are they actually just releasing the sequel then? Because if so that's pretty cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bentacos posted:

Dqh2 actually sucks compared to 1. They muddied the formula way too much

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

precision posted:

Is DQHeroes 2 really that much better than 1? If so then loving hell I need to get it, the first one is so good.

DQH2 is honestly what I hope they use as a basis for a remake of DQ1. They have all the assets to make it happen.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Real hurthling! posted:

Dqh2 actually sucks compared to 1. They muddied the formula way too much

I think it's a good game, just not as good as its predecessor. I like the dimensional dungeons, even if some of them seem unfair.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Heroes 2 dropped Yangus for Angelo and had nobody from 5, so it was already an inferior product before you even start playing.

Plus the original characters kinda suck.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wasn't so hot on Yangus in Heroes but then I played 8

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

g0lbez posted:

About ten hours into DQ7 and I think I can say with 100% certainty that this is THE most under-rated localization I've ever played through, maybe only a super minutely close second to Earthbound.

Is this the one that ten hours finally gets you out of the beginning of the game or am I thinking of 8? I know one has an ungodly long time before your first fight, and then there's still a big pause before you fight more.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
8 literally starts with a tutorial fight, so probably 7 yeah.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dizz posted:

Is this the one that ten hours finally gets you out of the beginning of the game or am I thinking of 8? I know one has an ungodly long time before your first fight, and then there's still a big pause before you fight more.

Yeah pretty sure it's 7. The dialogue is so great though that I'm able to put up with how goddamn slow this game is. I just had a guard scream "dash my wig!" at me and some old lady just referred to a couple's argument as a "dingdong"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bentacos posted:

I've been holding off on DQH2 in part because I kept hearing people (inlcuding on these forums) say it had a bunch of steps backwards in quality. I still need to get around to finishing DQH1. I think I'm in the final stretch.

Also that the co-op is about as badly designed and unfriendly as possible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been holding off on DQH2 in part because I kept hearing people (inlcuding on these forums) say it had a bunch of steps backwards in quality. I still need to get around to finishing DQH1. I think I'm in the final stretch.

Also that the co-op is about as badly designed and unfriendly as possible.

Its a good game but its full of bullshit like walking 5 mins to get to missions instead of selecting them from a list that water down the experience of the first game

The mp is set up to be pretty useless yeah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah I should probably actually finish Heroes, i'm pretty sure i'm near the end

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

precision posted:

yeah I should probably actually finish Heroes, i'm pretty sure i'm near the end

Season 4 was pretty funny and campy, I found it to be a bit better than seasons 2 and 3, definitely. Just my two cents there DQ thread.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
This all trades abbey poo poo is loving atrocious

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

g0lbez posted:

I tried to warn you

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Bongo Bill posted:

I tried to warn you

No it's cool at least the game showed me a glimpse of the cool thing I could have before stripping me of everything but the attack command and then making GBS threads all over me with unwinnable battles and the longest most difficult dungeon and boss combo in the game so far I really like that!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

g0lbez posted:

I remember playing DQ7 on the PS1 and while the rug pull was bullshit I don't recall the dungeon stuff to be too awful but maybe it's somehow worse in the remake?

Still prefer when it was called Dharma and not Dumb Pun #2847363098387638. :colbert:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I remember playing DQ7 on the PS1 and while the rug pull was bullshit I don't recall the dungeon stuff to be too awful but maybe it's somehow worse in the remake?

Still prefer when it was called Dharma and not Dumb Pun #2847363098387638. :colbert:

Dharma was also a pun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alltrades Abbey punnery hit its peak in 9 when Abbot Jack of Alltrades Abbey transforms into the Master of Nu'un

Which is just inspired localization because I am quite sure it was a totally different pun in Japanese

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had trouble with it, but I also remember it fondly just cause it's so weird.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I for one had trouble with basically every part of 7 the first time, because I was awful at it and dumb and I miss that :kimchi:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shugojin posted:

Which is just inspired localization because I am quite sure it was a totally different pun in Japanese
9's localization might just be the best of any video game ever.

To this day I don't think anything tops the twenty-hours-later "why is this early town named Zere" Zere Rocks joke

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Zere super good, but I have to add props to the plague-ridden city of Coffinwell, with Doctor Phleming (double pun!) Catarrhina, and finally Mayor Laria.

e: also Benevolessence is the best term for the arbitrary mcguffin and exp you get for doing random JRPG quests and I'm said it's not a term that gets used in other games.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Evil Fluffy posted:

It wasn't that terrible I was just venting. Once I stopped being stubborn and used all the stat seeds I had found it became a lot more reasonable.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also this game is extremely good but I can't help but wonder if I would've hated the original. I can't imagine the ps1 version had the QoL improvements like an option to always see where you're at in the story so you're never lost, the ability to talk to party members at any time, the little fragment radar thing etc.

edit: also there's no way the ps1 translation was anywhere even close to how brilliant this one is. It's a shame that this remake sold less copies than the amount of pages they had to translate

g0lbez fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 24, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The slow combat speed is what killed the original PS version for me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PS1 version was also goddamn hideous, even for PS1 standards. They did a really poor job with the sprite scaling so everything looked like a crooked mess. Most of the battle sprites were ok, at least.

The DS remakes of 4-6 used a similar engine but they improved the sprite issue significantly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

g0lbez posted:

Also this game is extremely good but I can't help but wonder if I would've hated the original. I can't imagine the ps1 version had the QoL improvements like an option to always see where you're at in the story so you're never lost, the ability to talk to party members at any time, the little fragment radar thing etc.

edit: also there's no way the ps1 translation was anywhere even close to how brilliant this one is. It's a shame that this remake sold less copies than the amount of pages they had to translate

Party chat debuted in 7, actually, and the dialogue is probably virtually 1:1 with the PSX version with how barebones it is compared to like, 5 or 6 where non-monster PCs have something to say about literally everything, like literally every NPC has a dialogue response from the party members. Which is a shame since Maribel and Ruff are top-tier party members and unlike best boy Yangus they don’t get much cutscene time.

Everything else was added to specifically address the issues with the PSX version though, yeah.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The PSX translation, from what I remember, was Fine. It wasn't as smooth or pun-ridden as the new one but considering the sheer length of what they were working on, and considering what other localizations I've seen on the PSX, they did a great job. Also they only has 9 characters for monster/spell names. I don't know if I actually have a point here, just every time I look up translating that game I learn a new thing. The original had twenty translators, five copy editors, and took a year. I don't really know if that's a long time for a game that size.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Dizz posted:

Dharma was also a pun.

I also preferred Dharma, but I didn't realize it was supposed to be a pun. What's the pun?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Nickoten posted:

I also preferred Dharma, but I didn't realize it was supposed to be a pun. What's the pun?

Daruma, those little doll things that the Japanese sometimes use to set goals in their life where they dot one eye, then dot the other when their goal was achieved. I think this gives them luck or something as well but I don't remember.

I'm just assuming that Dharma is meant to be a pun because the player returns there many times to change vocations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The PS version of 7 also took like five years to get translated and released in the US so it was extremely dated by the time it came out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Weirdest part of 7's (re)translation was how "the ultimate spell" changed names from literal gibberish to something... that despite being perfectly coherent somehow managed to make even less sense.

Seriously why did they call it the Great/er Leveller, what am I missing there?

(spoiled the name because I don't want to ruin a minor plot beat for that poster up there :shobon:)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Level the playing field, I think.

It just falls into the weird trap where level already means other things with respect to character level or class level so it's kinda confusing :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s been an age and a half, but isn’t great leveler’s gimmick that it’s a spell that casts a universal Freezing Wave?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Last Celebration posted:

It’s been an age and a half, but isn’t great leveler’s gimmick that it’s a spell that casts a universal Freezing Wave?
I think so, yeah, it's literally just Disruptive Wave/Wave of Ice/whatever else they've called it.

It's just a really weird name. Not that Majustis/Gigastis was any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
The job system really just breaks the game in half doesn't it? Does this game ever get challenging again? I just got the flying carpet for reference