Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really hate that their MMOs get mainline status. Especially when it's not brought worldwide. Just call it Final Fantasy Online/Dragon Quest Online you cowards.

DQX actually has its story/setting tie in to the celestial stuff of 9 (and 11*?) IIRC. FFXIV is better than the last few non-MMO numbered FF games too so :shrug:

FFXI is just kinda... there.

* assuming 11 isn't tied to the Erdrick or Zenthian trilogies, beyond the MC's sword looking like a combination of Erdrick's sword and the Zenithian sword.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not commenting on the quality of the games themselves or their stories. Just that I don't think an online only/MMO game should be counted as a mainline entry. Especially since online event type content can and will be lost to time, relatively speaking. On top of that, Square definitely won't be don't a US release of DQX, so it's not even like it can get a fan translation later down the line. It would have been better to call it Dragon Quest Online.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Why is the boat travel so slow in DQ8? Every other game before that was super good about it but here it's tedious beyond belief.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

* assuming 11 isn't tied to the Erdrick or Zenthian trilogies, beyond the MC's sword looking like a combination of Erdrick's sword and the Zenithian sword.

XI stuff

XI alludes to itself taking place in the same universe as and before DQ III, but it seems like more of an easter egg than a direct connection.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
7 is charming as hell holy poo poo. Even maribel insulting you is weirdly endearing to me, and even though I'm only inn tbhea volcano island I really dig the idea of the vignette style storytelling. poo poo owns bones is what I'm saying

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Charlie Bobson posted:

7 is charming as hell holy poo poo. Even maribel insulting you is weirdly endearing to me, and even though I'm only inn tbhea volcano island I really dig the idea of the vignette style storytelling. poo poo owns bones is what I'm saying

Only up to the Volcano? Well the good news is you have a good 70+ hours of vignettes to come! I don't wanna spoil anything but 7 has some incredible storytelling, and at times really hits you square in the gut.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Earlier in the year I finally got back into DQ7 and finished that up.
And just today I beat DQ8 For the first time.

8 was really good, but I have to say that overall I got way more invested into 7.
I still loved both of them, and the excitement for 11 is extremely high now.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

XI stuff

XI alludes to itself taking place in the same universe as and before DQ III, but it seems like more of an easter egg than a direct connection.

8 did something similar with Empyrean. I think this is something to just tie the Universe together in a very real sense, but still not really be any more consequential than 'Chobos' being in most every Final Fantasy.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I find it weird there's a church in Faerie Lea (DQ5). Just how did they get there?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Missionary work to convert those heathen faeries.

XI is due out 9/4 but I'm neck-deep into an MMO at the moment so I'm not sure when I'll be playing it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People are always neck deep in MMOs. Don't renew the monthly and play something different and fun when it comes out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ofecks posted:

Missionary work to convert those heathen faeries.

XI is due out 9/4 but I'm neck-deep into an MMO at the moment so I'm not sure when I'll be playing it.
do we have a Switch release date yet

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

do we have a Switch release date yet

Nope. Not even for Japan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Development on the switch stalled because their u4 engine was the outdated one for the switch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tae posted:

Development on the switch stalled because their u4 engine was the outdated one for the switch.

Do you have a source on this? I have an obstinate friend who is about to wait for the Switch version and complain about it, but can be talked out of it if he knew that there won't be a Switch version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I mean, there will be one but they haven't even shown any footage of the Japanese version of it. It could be another year away for all we know.

I think they suggested they'd show it at some show later this year but.. Yeah

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bongo Bill posted:

Do you have a source on this? I have an obstinate friend who is about to wait for the Switch version and complain about it, but can be talked out of it if he knew that there won't be a Switch version.

Dragon Quest XI for Switch delay due to outdated Unreal Engine 4

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1034455647348314112

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1034426365418725376

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1034433703622176769

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1034429652260016129

Currently the reviews are looking extremely good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Pumped for this. The reviews that aren't positive also don't seem to get the appeal of the series in the first place. Bring on the warm and comfy!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are we really not getting a 3ds version of xi even though jp got one last year? :psyduck:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

BurningBeard posted:

Pumped for this. The reviews that aren't positive also don't seem to get the appeal of the series in the first place. Bring on the warm and comfy!

Yeah, I haven't seen a truly negative review, just a few that say that it may be a bit too traditional for its own good. Fair enough for me, there are much worse things you can say about a game.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/waypoint/status/1034425633835761664

Not all reviews are super positive. The ones that aren't are saying that it brings nothing new to the series or genre which I don't mind. DQ has always been a warm bath of familiarity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't imagine reviewing a DQ game and then leveraging a critique of "doesn't change things up" when it's literally been the exact same game for over three decades.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not being a fan of the usual traditional DQ style is fine but I really dislike this part of the Waypoint review:

quote:

I spent more than a couple hours of my playthrough of the game getting to a boss, realizing that I couldn’t defeat it yet, and then going back to fight random monsters for half an hour to get the levels that evened things out and allowed me to jump the next hurdle. There was not thought, no strategy, and certainly no real active consideration on my part of how I needed to upgrade my characters or what specific choices I needed to make in the fight. Levels solved the problem every time, so I just got a couple levels.

It's a problem entirely of their own making...they even admit to not using any strategy when they hit a brick wall!

I usually like Waypoint so this review is a bummer to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dragon quest is supposed to be playable by all ages, because all ages do play it in japan. being able to get past tough spots by grinding levels is a deliberate choice so children can beat them, but it's not mandatory.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah I'm not one of those her dur games journalism types, but the negative reviews that I've seen are really clickbatey and reactionary. I suppose it's just critics grasping at straws because writing a review that amounts to more of the same doesn't drive traffic.

I'm thrilled. I've never finished a single DQ despite my efforts but I'm gonna finish this one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it's less clickbait and more the fact that grinding will always be a braindead strat that works outside of a tiny minority of games that punish you for it (and heck I'm okay with that when the player wants to grind and isn't acting like it's mandatory). This is far from the first jrpg to be tarred with that by its detractors tho, and certainly won't be the last.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah that's fair. I guess I expected, perhaps naively, that a series with the cultural capital that DQ has would result in some pulled punches or at least an acknowledgement that we know and understand the creative intent of the team. If I recall, DQ VIII was universally praised where the reactions this time are decidedly more cool.

The scores don't reflect the text though. 89% on Metacritic last I saw.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dragon Quest has less cultural capital in the US though so maybe that's to be expected?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only review that matters is tim rogers' video review, whenever that comes out, imo.

edit: oh poo poo its right on this page

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

The only review that matters is tim rogers' video review, whenever that comes out, imo.

edit: oh poo poo its right on this page

It's a real good review, I was looking forward to 11 before but after watching his review I'm incredibly impatient now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i love tim rogers

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Srice posted:

Not being a fan of the usual traditional DQ style is fine but I really dislike this part of the Waypoint review:

It's a problem entirely of their own making...they even admit to not using any strategy when they hit a brick wall!

I usually like Waypoint so this review is a bummer to me.

:psypop:

How can someone write that, have others (presumably) review it before publishing, and not at any point think "hey this kinda comes across as a person complaining they'd grind to beat bosses because they put zero thought in to their builds or combat strategy." It makes me think of the Octopath commentary where people would complain about combat being hard, when you can break things over your knee if you actually learned the game's combat system decent.

I would love to see DQXI pull a MHW and suddenly sell an absolutely ridiculous number of copies in the west.

It looks like all these reviewers played on the PS4 version though and nobody played on PC?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i love tim rogers

there wasnt one second of clear game audio until minute 32 of this review, hes a genius

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have no clue if y'all are serious about Tim Rogers or not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You think I would watch a 40 minute video as a joke? I've been a fan of his for a while now, I used to love reading actionbutton reviews and was overjoyed when kotaku gave this guy a budget. He's the only video game critic I like I think.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

If anyone who says they like Tim Rogers isn't being sincere about it they deserve to be struck down.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I mean whether you like the guy or not his review was the only one that wasn't shallow garbage that I saw.

Unironically loved actionbutton fwiw.

His DQV review is a treasure.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 28, 2018

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Unlucky7 posted:

I unironically like Tim Rogers and I don't care who knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mean, I like the guy too, even when he can be long winded. I guess I am just more used to people dunking on him.

Anyway, the guy calls it the best Dragon Quest since 5, which is to me, no small amount of praise.

I feel like I need to confess something here: As much as I loved 5, I never did complete it. I stopped around the second time skip. It was way too depressing for me :(