Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugh. Issues with the game PC, *just* within sight of the end of Act III.

So, I simply had to buy it for PS4. Absolutely *had* to.

Surprisingly OK with starting it over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

U-DO Burger posted:

i can't believe korin is loving dead

Korin is dead and Sylvando is Whis but with even more sass.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Sylvando is Noberto isn't he.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Welp, did that Electro Light trick to get up to 74, and barely beat Act 3 in a somewhat comical fashion. Jiren decided to stop time and then throw an Orange Spirit Bomb at me, wiping out everyone except Jade and Sylv. Luckily, he was poisoned and the next move he made caused like 50 damage and immediately killed him. But uh... did we... kind of make three separate timelines now by sending Serenica back in time?

And I straight had to look up who the gently caress the DQI hero even was, but I could imagine that people who have a history with the series must have been pretty stoked about the DQI-III connections.

In the end, I can't say I personally loved the game, and DQ still isn't really my thing, but I can definitely see why people love this game and the series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Sylvando is Noberto isn't he.

The game doesn’t really try super hard to hide it, tbh. It very much is meant to be something you can infer.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I'm trying to do the side quest "a walk on the wild side" in Gallopolis. How the gently caress do I make my idiots go into pep mode at the same time

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ramadu posted:

So I'm trying to do the side quest "a walk on the wild side" in Gallopolis. How the gently caress do I make my idiots go into pep mode at the same time

This one becomes easier once you've got more than four party members, and much easier when you've got more than five. A character who's pepped up will remain pepped up indefinitely while on the bench.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ramadu posted:

When someone's pepped, you can swap them into your reserves and they keep the pepped status forever.

Other than that, there's no way to control when they pep at that point in the game.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cool thanks. I did just get the 5th guy so i guess if veronica EVER GOES INTO PEP MODE i can do it

edit: i guess i meant serena

TOO MANY NAMES

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 18, 2018

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

another question, is there any reason why you can run around the battlefield? is there any point to that?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ramadu posted:

another question, is there any reason why you can run around the battlefield? is there any point to that?

No reason. The classic camera is better.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

oh my gosh this is infuriating

i got serena into pep and swapped her for sylvado and now erik and the player character are just alternating pep states :suicide:

ive ground from 16 to 20 now doing this

veronica is a monster droppin 80 damage bangs tho

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just get back to it when you have 7 party members, that way you can bench 3 people

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I didn't know there was gonna be more than 5. i am literally 100% ignorant of the game and am playing totally blind lol

thanks!

edit: as soon as i begin to complain and went on to chewbaccas home planet city everyone i needed to pep pepped. the power of complaining, the power of chaos magic

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 18, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

No reason. The classic camera is better.

I personally enjoy being able to rotate the camera and run around and stuff but I know it's not for everyone. I do feel like the classic camera has better steal chances or something though.

Anyway, very steamed at these late game bosses. Boy, I sure do like taking 150-200 damage every attack no matter how high my defense is. This is such a hoot.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I keep finding all these fantasy kingdoms with very unique, specialized military groups.

I am very excited for the big battle that should presumably happen later where I get to call on the Gallopian Knights, the Port Valor Cabellas, the Gondolia Navy, etc etc.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Oh. I just got Sylvando and he's probably never leaving my party.

Also can anyone shed some light on how the crossbow targets work? I combed over the Gallopolis region pretty exhaustively and only found 2. How widely are they spaced out? Do they tend to appear at the edges of zones? Can they appear in towns? Are they worth hunting to begin with?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i never found all the crossbow targets in any of the areas and i don't feel like i missed out

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Deified Data posted:

Also can anyone shed some light on how the crossbow targets work? I combed over the Gallopolis region pretty exhaustively and only found 2. How widely are they spaced out? Do they tend to appear at the edges of zones? Can they appear in towns? Are they worth hunting to begin with?

You get some useful items from it (Stat seeds, a nice hat at the end) but I think they were kind of a pain in the rear end even using a screenshotted list tbh

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
you can get 4 pep pips pretty early in one of the areas but i forget which

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The problem with the free-form camera for me was that once I got 4 party member (even a guest) I couldn't really see the animations of Member 4 or 5 without swiveling the camera back and forth.

That and it felt kinda odd that the hero was the only one bothering to move while everyone else just kind of stood still anyway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
In the opinion(s) of this thread, which mode is closer to classic (I through IV) random encounter difficulty, Hard or standard? I've been replaying some of the early NES-era games lately, and with some swingy RNG-based exceptions most random encounters are designed to wear down the player party and deplete resources, but don't generally threaten with a party wipe. I'm not talking about ridiculous, literally untested examples like Rhone, just in general... hard or standard?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

JustJeff88 posted:

In the opinion(s) of this thread, which mode is closer to classic (I through IV) random encounter difficulty, Hard or standard? I've been replaying some of the early NES-era games lately, and with some swingy RNG-based exceptions most random encounters are designed to wear down the player party and deplete resources, but don't generally threaten with a party wipe. I'm not talking about ridiculous, literally untested examples like Rhone, just in general... hard or standard?
Standard.

The thing with DQ1-3 is that MP management kind of mattered and an unlucky crit here and there was basically "welp time to go home". That stuff just isn't as prevalent in DQ11 in particular. But as far as actual numbers go on damage/hp/etc, I don't think any DQ has an analog to the hard mode in DQ11. The number jump is quite severe. Anyway even on hard mode though, you'll probably end up with a few characters specialized in clearing trash and it's pretty mundane affair outside of those robots that can move like 2-3 times a round (gently caress those things honestly!)

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 18, 2018

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If you have experience with DQ, I recommend playing hard. On hard, you have to use multiple tools the game gives you. On normal, this is less important.

Most of the boss BS people talk about can be mitigated once you get things like the main healer’s ability to preemptively cancel all debuffs. It’s also much more workable once you have more than 4 party members.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I'm not much further, but I found most of the crossbow targets on the edges of the region. I had to give up and look up the location of the last one in Gallopolis though. It's in a loving tree a little southeast of the city itself

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

The game doesn’t really try super hard to hide it, tbh. It very much is meant to be something you can infer.

When you get to chapter 2 it's made abundantly clear. Though there's no shortage of hints about him given his numerous references to knightly actions and codes, even as far back as when you meet him and help the dumb prince with the Slayer of Sands and how he acts when he gets serious.

Ramadu posted:

I didn't know there was gonna be more than 5. i am literally 100% ignorant of the game and am playing totally blind lol

thanks!

edit: as soon as i begin to complain and went on to chewbaccas home planet city everyone i needed to pep pepped. the power of complaining, the power of chaos magic

Did... did you not even watch the opening cutscene that plays when you start the game or start a new game? Because you see more than 5 party members there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
You would have to not even look at the box art I'm pretty sure.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is it ever explained which Old Kingdom the Yellow Orb is tied to?

Because I assume I'm going to grab the Dundrasil Orb right now after getting the magic key. Sniflheim has it's own Orb. We already stole the Heliodor Orb. I assume the school will have the Orb that belonged to the old Wat Civ. Nautica had the Green Orb.

Who the gently caress was the Yellow Orb civ?

Port Valor wouldn't have been built yet, Gondolia wouldn't have been built yet. Heliopolis didn't mention selling any Orbs, and neither does the merchant when you meet him. It can't be Octagonia because that wasn't even really a Kingdom, and was formed of Dundrasil refugees after Hendrick cleared it out.

Is it Arboria? Where did that Orb come from!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Zwarrdrust? That ends up being burned to the ground not too long before Dundrasil iirc, but it’s easy to forget since it’s pretty overgrowth except the poison marsh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i know it's just a gameplay thing but it kinda bugs me when I walk up behind an unaware enemy and stab them in the butthole and then i'm the one who gets surprise attacked

on the other hand i certainly wouldn't expect the monster I just butthole-stabbed to immediately turn around and begin casting powerful magic at me, so maybe it's realistic???

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Standard.

The thing with DQ1-3 is that MP management kind of mattered and an unlucky crit here and there was basically "welp time to go home". That stuff just isn't as prevalent in DQ11 in particular. But as far as actual numbers go on damage/hp/etc, I don't think any DQ has an analog to the hard mode in DQ11. The number jump is quite severe. Anyway even on hard mode though, you'll probably end up with a few characters specialized in clearing trash and it's pretty mundane affair outside of those robots that can move like 2-3 times a round (gently caress those things honestly!)

DQ1 and 3(with the right setup) weren't bad at all, DQ2 is the best analog to DQ11 hard with everything doing a poo poo-ton of damage

DQ11 Hard isn't that bad once you get past the desert, though the desert itself is a loving nightmare on hard

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yinlock posted:

i know it's just a gameplay thing but it kinda bugs me when I walk up behind an unaware enemy and stab them in the butthole and then i'm the one who gets surprise attacked

on the other hand i certainly wouldn't expect the monster I just butthole-stabbed to immediately turn around and begin casting powerful magic at me, so maybe it's realistic???

I'm just glad you aren't automatically ambushed when an enemy touches you before you can slash it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you get to chapter 2 it's made abundantly clear. Though there's no shortage of hints about him given his numerous references to knightly actions and codes, even as far back as when you meet him and help the dumb prince with the Slayer of Sands and how he acts when he gets serious.

Did... did you not even watch the opening cutscene that plays when you start the game or start a new game? Because you see more than 5 party members there.

no i skipped that cause spoilers and i also cannot for the life of me recall whats on the cover cause its all dragonball z to me man

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fwiw the opening cutscene is pretty much spoiler free. astonishingly so considering all the cool spoilery poo poo they had to choose from

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ramadu posted:

no i skipped that cause spoilers and i also cannot for the life of me recall whats on the cover cause its all dragonball z to me man

the 6th party member is goku

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what the gently caress is Erik’s accent

it’s just bland enough so that I can’t place it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He is attempting to conceal his native accent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

He is attempting to conceal his native accent.

well he’s doing a bad job!

or possibly a good one!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, you've got no idea where he's from, right? It's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

what the gently caress is Erik’s accent

it’s just bland enough so that I can’t place it

Christopher Walken