Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I've only played the SNES version, but I don't recall Sancho having an accent at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Flavius Aetass posted:

I've only played the SNES version, but I don't recall Sancho having an accent at all.

I'm playing the PS2 fan translation right now. He doesn't have an accent there either.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want DQB3. Please make DQB3.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Outside of graphical ones are there any differences between the switch and snes/nes versions of DQ 1-3?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I think the Switch collection is a pack of mobile ports? The mobile ports are based off of the SFC remakes, which themselves are overhauls of the original FC games. So do you want a list of changes between FC and SFC? Or SFC and mobile?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Switch ports have different character sprites and enemy art than mobile I believe. Some people hate how they look but I think they look fine. The classic sprite art is better but it’s not nearly as bad as say, mobile FF6.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpaceDrake posted:

It's true that Mobile has party chat restored in English, but I do want to point out that IV and V have some genuine-rear end problems with some of the "accents" ending up descending into outright racist caricature. And I do mean seethingly racist.

(No, I am never going to shut up about what was done to Maya, Meena and Sancho in those games. It was an absolutely shocking misstep in what were otherwise reasonably well-done localizations. Alena and her crew are only very marginally less worse, and it's still Not Great and not what I would want to do.)

So if that factors in at all, well, there you go. That said, the DS/mobile editions of the games are also the most QoL-friendly of the bunch by a lot.

Nobody should ever shut up about 4's accents because they are inexcusably bad even when they aren't being caricatures. IIRC the DS/Mobile remake changed the Ch1 NPC Alex from "scared senseless by monsters" to "pathetic drunkard in not Ireland/Scotland"?

Alena's accent and VA is insufferable in games like DQH. She sounds like someone kidnapped Disney-movie Anastasia and put her in Clueless despite being an rear end-kicking tomboy.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I do remember Sancho being too "ayy señor banditos have raided our veellage" for me, and I played that game long enough ago that I'm sure I'd be madder about it now.

yeah Sancho was like... uncomfortably bad, when I played 5 on DS. i don't remember my playthrough of 4 well enough to say if it did anything on that level but I wouldn't be surprised if it did

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Alena's accent and VA is insufferable in games like DQH. She sounds like someone kidnapped Disney-movie Anastasia and put her in Clueless despite being an rear end-kicking tomboy.

I'm sorry you hate fun. Alena's VA is the best part of DQH.

Inward, to battle! :buddy:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nobody should ever shut up about 4's accents because they are inexcusably bad even when they aren't being caricatures. IIRC the DS/Mobile remake changed the Ch1 NPC Alex from "scared senseless by monsters" to "pathetic drunkard in not Ireland/Scotland"?

I don't remember Meg Ryan having any sort of Russian accent in Don Bluths Anastasia

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm in my first playthrough of 5 right now and Sancho is pretty poo poo, though I haven't met anyone else that raised an eyebrow. It doesn't feel mean-spirited but it's certainly tonedeaf.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has anyone played through the fan translation of Rocket Slime 3? How does it compare to 2 on DS?

From last page, but the translation is not the 100% pun-filled, silly goodness of 2. It has its cute moments and dad jokes though. Most of the humor is in text that you may not be paying attention to as you play whereas the text that's more prominent is less so (to be vague and non-spoilery). It's still pretty silly even if it's not all puns imo.

The game mechanics are good, but there are some hit box quirks to get used to. There are a few different strategies that work for the most part. The post-game is a collectible grind.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spacebard posted:

From last page, but the translation is not the 100% pun-filled, silly goodness of 2. It has its cute moments and dad jokes though. Most of the humor is in text that you may not be paying attention to as you play whereas the text that's more prominent is less so (to be vague and non-spoilery). It's still pretty silly even if it's not all puns imo.

The game mechanics are good, but there are some hit box quirks to get used to. There are a few different strategies that work for the most part. The post-game is a collectible grind.

That’s a shame it sounds like it’s a more direct translation. The silly pun filled translations is what made me look at the DQ franchise in the first place. I already have it installed on my 3DS so I’ll give it a shot anyway.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Switch ports have different character sprites and enemy art than mobile I believe. Some people hate how they look but I think they look fine. The classic sprite art is better but it’s not nearly as bad as say, mobile FF6.

The Switch ports are the mobile ports. The biggest loss is the lack of monster animations, because the mobile ports were designed for Japanese mobile phones (predating smartphones) back in 2004.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OhFunny posted:

The Switch ports are the mobile ports. The biggest loss is the lack of monster animations, because the mobile ports were designed for Japanese mobile phones (predating smartphones) back in 2004.

They’re not the same. Look at them side by side and you can clearly see character sprites are different.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re not the same. Look at them side by side and you can clearly see character sprites are different.

Well I'll be...

I'll chalk that up to not playing the mobile version very long due to disliking the touch controls.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Outside of graphical ones are there any differences between the switch and snes/nes versions of DQ 1-3?

The Switch (and mobile) versions have a newer translation, which brings spell names and monster names to be more in line with what they're using in the newest games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OhFunny posted:

Well I'll be...

I'll chalk that up to not playing the mobile version very long due to disliking the touch controls.

To make it more confusing, the Switch versions are actually taken from the Japanese only 3DS ports.

This series is really confusing to get into as a western fan.:v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember the Wii got a disc with DQ1-3 in Japan for an anniversary, similar to the Super Mario All Stars disc. I'm now curious. Does anyone know what versions were on that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember the Wii got a disc with DQ1-3 in Japan for an anniversary, similar to the Super Mario All Stars disc. I'm now curious. Does anyone know what versions were on that?

Famicom and Super Famicom: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Dragon_Quest_25_Shuunen_Kinen:_Famicom_%26_Super_Famicom_Dragon_Quest_I-II-III

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I'm replaying DQB2, (because replaying old games is inexplicably superior to starting any of the new one I own) and I looked up the weird slang the Goodybag Jules uses in Khrumbul-Dun, and apparently it's Polari, an obscure English cant used by parts of the LGBT community in the 60's. That was a real weird Online Research Journey let me tell you.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

YggiDee posted:

So I'm replaying DQB2, (because replaying old games is inexplicably superior to starting any of the new one I own) and I looked up the weird slang the Goodybag Jules uses in Khrumbul-Dun, and apparently it's Polari, an obscure English cant used by parts of the LGBT community in the 60's. That was a real weird Online Research Journey let me tell you.

The game has some incredibly deep cuts of this sort. I too have been replaying B2 and remembering all over again why I love this game so much.

(Now if only the Steam version wasn't fundamentally broken, but alas.)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

The game has some incredibly deep cuts of this sort. I too have been replaying B2 and remembering all over again why I love this game so much.

(Now if only the Steam version wasn't fundamentally broken, but alas.)

What's broken about the Steam version?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I just started the Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 fantranslation that's been out for a while.

The translation so far is... serviceable. The story translation is just fine! But monster names cut off sometimes, or don't display at all during fights, and I'm wondering if this is going to cause any other problems down the line if anyone has played it before.

(I also tried to play the Terry's Wonderland fantranslation but Citra refused to play nice with it and crashed on boot, so I'm not sure what's up with that.)

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I am slowly making progress through XI and loving it (Erik's voice has grown on me, despite earlier complaints, haha!)

Sylvando rules for sure, but I am not sure of the best way to use him in battle. I mostly just make him dance every turn because it's kind of hilarious and then beat the monsters with the others...

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I am slowly making progress through XI and loving it (Erik's voice has grown on me, despite earlier complaints, haha!)

Sylvando rules for sure, but I am not sure of the best way to use him in battle. I mostly just make him dance every turn because it's kind of hilarious and then beat the monsters with the others...

Sylv has a really good heal dance which, if you rush it, is your earliest group heal.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Sylvando, true to his personality, is built around making sure your other characters can shine rather than doing anything spectacular himself. Oomph is amazing, and the accelerate spells are less-so but still usable. Late game he becomes especially good when paired with any of the female party members, but going into more detail than that would likely be spoilers.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah Sylvado is a Bard/Support to the core. He can do decent damage, but he really shines at buffing others, and can heal in a pinch. Just remember Charm is his best stat.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The Kingfish posted:

Sylv has a really good heal dance which, if you rush it, is your earliest group heal.

He’s the only healer you need in Act I, pretty much never left my party outside of a few fights I took Serena.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sylvando with a Whip, Daggers in inventory, and the appropriate skills can also serve as a boss-killer if needed. In fact, until Erik gets his lategame skills, Sylvando is more useful as a boss-killer because he has an easier time inflicting the status effects needed.

Lategame Erik with Sylvando's Oomph feels unfair.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

With whips, he can also drop status effects on groups, which is good crowd control and has good synergy with Erik.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Bongo Bill posted:

With whips, he can also drop status effects on groups, which is good crowd control and has good synergy with Erik.

This is what I did late game. Getting Eric’s wombo combo in two turns instead of three makes a big difference.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

I just started the Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 fantranslation that's been out for a while.

The translation so far is... serviceable. The story translation is just fine! But monster names cut off sometimes, or don't display at all during fights, and I'm wondering if this is going to cause any other problems down the line if anyone has played it before.

(I also tried to play the Terry's Wonderland fantranslation but Citra refused to play nice with it and crashed on boot, so I'm not sure what's up with that.)

I never had an issue with the missing monsters and if anything there's a few spots you can abuse it to speed up your powerleveling since the fight just ends immediately rather than after a couple of hits from your team. The biggest issues I had with the patch are:

* You can't accent certain Japanese characters in the code entry menu, so you'd have to un-patch to get those extras if you want them.
* Several chests will cause the game to crash/freeze if you attempt to open them but I don't think they contained anything particularly amazing (first area has an accessory you can't get due to this, but eh).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

I never had an issue with the missing monsters and if anything there's a few spots you can abuse it to speed up your powerleveling since the fight just ends immediately rather than after a couple of hits from your team. The biggest issues I had with the patch are:

* You can't accent certain Japanese characters in the code entry menu, so you'd have to un-patch to get those extras if you want them.
* Several chests will cause the game to crash/freeze if you attempt to open them but I don't think they contained anything particularly amazing (first area has an accessory you can't get due to this, but eh).

I have never seen missing monsters. They're there (and it appears to be a full enemy team), they just don't always have visible names. If this is the 'enemies start dead' bug, they fixed it, along with the invisible box crashes. Sounds like I don't have to worry about too many problems though if the big ones were in the patch notes!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I thought at least the item box crashes had been fixed, but I couldn't remember if I was thinking of Joker 3 or Terry's Wonderland.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

FanaticalMilk posted:

What's broken about the Steam version?

The saving is broken for a lot of people. I tried everything to make it work, but it appears to be a configuration issue with Steam Cloud and there's ultimately no real way to correct it.

It's a shame; it's a game I would really like to play on PC, but it's just not to be.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
So I'm playing the Switch version of Dragon Quest III and I'm having a problem with the Tower of Transcendence. I know you're supposed to go to the staircase at the upper left and walk across the rope to progress, but I don't seem to be able to actually get on said rope. Every time I try to angle myself on it I wind up just falling to the previous screen.

Is this some kind of known glitch or is it just super fiddly? I can't seem to find any guides specifically discussing the Switch version of the game to tell me if there's something specific I need to do to actually progress here. I know it's not mandatory but I'd like to finish this dungeon before I go into what kinda seems like the endgame.

EDIT: gently caress me sideways I just wasn't proceeding at the extremely specific spot it wanted me to use. I guess complaining helped! :doh:

Ran Rannerson fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 18, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prism posted:

Huh. Did you do the thing where you patched to 1.1 and then applied the translation patch and then updated to 1.2? That's what I ended up having to do (they said it was only for wifi but it actually was crashing before I did it)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Prism posted:

I have never seen missing monsters. They're there (and it appears to be a full enemy team), they just don't always have visible names. If this is the 'enemies start dead' bug, they fixed it, along with the invisible box crashes. Sounds like I don't have to worry about too many problems though if the big ones were in the patch notes!

Oh yeah I meant the dead enemies. Glad to hear that and the crashing treasure got fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm using my exposure quarantine vacation to play through dq games I've never played or finished. On V right now and I'm enjoying it. I watched that dq your story so I already know most of the juicy bits. However, I let out a groan when I learned they named the main characters uncle Prince Albert. I get the Victoria reference but I name all my jrpg heroes Dong.

Still, I'm having a good time exploring around and chillin' with my monster pals.