Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Azubah posted:

5 is pretty drat hard to find for the DS for a good price, I only lucked out by finding it at a Kmart no one goes to. I was going to save it until I beat 4, good idea or bad idea?

Good idea. 5 is vastly better than 4. Not to say 4 is bad.

Hell, 6 might not be as good as 5. That’s debatable, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

thetrin posted:

There are no bad DQ games, but 8 is not a patch on 3,5 or 6. So if you think 8 is awesome, get ready to understand why DQ is so beloved.

Huh? I’m a series vet since Dragon Warrior on the NES. 8 is among the best in the series. It’s a little different, but in a good way. I was disappointed to see 9 harken back to the style of 3, honestly.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“punchdaily” posted:

7 was just a pain in the rear end after a point. I only used it to level up classes, and maybe levels, but even then. I did like the monster zoo and populating the town. And the way that one was set up. I'd love it if they rereleased it on the 3DS or something similarly handheld.

7 seems ripe for a 3DS re-release now that the game carts have more memory.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

al-azad posted:

I find it totally odd Dragon Quest never caught on in the West because it's literally the aesthetics of a Japanese RPG with the balls-to-the-wall-kick-your-rear end-unfairness of Western RPGs.

Remember, Final Fantasy only caught on when Sony ran nonstop commercials of Final Fantasy VII’s CG cutscenes. A lot of people tricked themselves into thinking it was some sort of supergame with the best graphics ever. Imagine their surprise when a text window and menu commands popped up. Imagine their greater surprise when they liked it. This is why Cloud is some vidya gaming superstar despite being a mediocre character: FF7 is everyone’s JRPG gateway game. (Ours was Dragon Warrior on the NES, most likely. Mine was.)

Basically, Dragon Quest needs a marketing campaign that allows people to draw incorrect but whoa-that’s-awesome type conclusions, and it needs to come up with a totally new realistic non-Toriyama-inspired graphical style.

Until then, it’s just not going to be a hit with the dudebro Call of Gears of Halo NFL 11 crowd, because they look at it and think “lame Japanese cartoony poo poo with big eyes and voice actors that make noises."

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"al-azad” posted:

Dear Squenix: When Level-5 is finished with the PS3 version of Ninokuni, hire them. It will be the smartest thing you guys have done in the past 3 years.

Level-5 is the official series developer now. They made 8, they made 9, and they’re making 10.

Volitaire posted:

Well that shouldn't be their target audience anyways.

I agree, but we’re talking about a hypothetical anyway.

quote:

Its not like realistic graphics made "dudebros" rush out to buy FF13.

There was enough graphical shiny, enough residual Cloud affection (via Lightning), and enough “they’ve spent years on this, there’s no way it won’t be GREAT” sentiment floating around to ensure FF13’s retail success. Edit: And I’d like to add, Square-Enix advertised Final Fantasy XIII on ESPN, even going so far as to sponsor the 2010 NBA All-Star Game.

quote:

At least in the states we can go "its that game that looks like DBZ".

Hasn’t worked yet.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"Mister Roboto” posted:

Overpriced as hell and I DON’T CARE. Do want.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mister Roboto posted:

Next time I'm around Tokyo center I'll buy ya one, if you want. :)

drat. Now that’s just cheating.

And looking at that King Metal Slime reminds me of when Square-Enix was getting ready to release DQ8 in the US. They had some mail-in promotion for IIRC keychains… and I never got one. :(

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

SpaceDrake posted:

Not only that, but you actually meet Nera and Debora as a child, at least for a bit, meaning that it isn't completely out of left field to choose either of them for a bride now. Bianca's life still ends up sucking, but they made the bride thing an actual choice you have to think about, now. Especially with the party talk feature.

They removed nearly all of the guilt trip the SFC original laid on you if you didn’t pick Bianca, too. Especially the part with Bianca’s father dying.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Asimo posted:

Nah, not really. There's some homages to prior games, but the Zenithian triology has less obvious connections between the games than the Loto trilogy did.

I would say that going around and collecting the exact same equipment for similar purposes counts as a fairly obvious connection.

Yes, the equipment you collect toward the end of DQ6 is the Zenithian equipment, but renamed to match different owners the equipment had throughout the history of that particular world.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“LordAndrew” posted:

I've never played III, IV, V, or VI; does that make me a terrible person?

It means you have work to do.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“SereneCrimson” posted:

(Yuji Horii made a comment about Wii versions, so I suspect that the next set of remakes will probably be the "Loto Trilogy" for Wii.)

I really hope not. IMO, ArtePiazza’s efforts should go towards Dragon Quest VII on 3DS and a 1080p HD version of Dragon Quest VIII for consoles.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Can you imagine an HD remake of VII :swoon:

[e] Or even better, HD sprites!

That would be incredibly massive and probably not worth the effort. Better to just use the engine developed for DQ4DS-6DS, spruce it up for the 3DS—can we get a little anti-aliasing?—and import VII’s art assets to that enhanced engine. Hell, VII is the inspiration for IVDS-VIDS anyway.

Now, VIII… that demands the latest in HD cel shading. The goal should be to trump those new Dragonball Z games.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"al-azad” posted:

Level-5 is working on this little beauty.

Level-5 has more than one development team. They’ve been working on DQ10 for at least 18 months to two years.

LooseChanj posted:

So what console am I gonna have to buy to play 10?

As announced in 2008, the Wii.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Saoshyant posted:

Wikipedia claims it will be released on the Wii, but I wouldn't be surprised if Squenix cancel that and do the game for the 3DS.

Not at this stage. They’re roughly 2 years into development. Dragon Quest VII went through development hell; they’re not going to repeat that.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Or better yet, the SFC version. (Is there a translation patch for that?)

Yes.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

IGN’s Dragon Quest VI review is up. Summary: "It’s old so it sux lol.” Ironically, they post this review on the same day that they dig up their review of The Legend of Zelda GBA Classic port. Not a remake, a straight-up port. And it scored a full point better than the remade DQ6.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

sethsez posted:

I can kind of see the argument that it isn't as good as IV or V, but he doesn't even try to make a case for it, he just states it and moves on.

That’s still not a very good reason or even argument for slapping it with a 7.

The irony is that I think a 7 would be a fair score if reviewers actually used the full 1-10 scale. Instead, they use the scale like high school grades, where 7 is average, rather than 5 being average like it should be. Instead, a 7 is more or less the kiss of death.

Vegetable posted:

Not a very big fan of the main series, always felt it was a bit draggy with too much grinding.

Depends on the game. The early ones and VII are built entirely around grind. IV, V, VI, and VIII you can get through without grinding at all. IX is a hybrid: you don’t really have to grind to beat the main story, but the postgame is one gigantic unending grind.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 19, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, the way you phrased it, I expected something horrible typical of IGN. That was in fact pretty tame and mostly honest. Not everyone is going to enjoy DQVI and it's in fact not as good as DQV, which is what the reviewer based its score on.

First, DQ5 was given an 8.9. DQ6 is not 1.9 points worse than DQ5.

Second, DQ5 and 6 are roughly equivalent in quality in my view. 5 has an overall better plot, 6 has a better battle system and has more of an adventurous feeling. Even if one doesn’t think 6 is as good as 5, it’s not 1.9 points worse.

Lastly, the DQ6 review is about how it’s an old JRPG and how the reviewer doesn’t have time to play perceived unimportant JRPGs. The implication is that he’s dismissing some obscure title for not being flashy enough.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“BabyRyoga” posted:

So basically anyone who gives this game a mediocre or bad review simply has straight up disdain for classic style console RPGs.

A winner is you.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

al-azad posted:

IGN's reviews of "niche" games are terrible because they usually stick someone who absolutely hates the genre to review the game. I'll never forget their God Hand review which was 2 pages of "This game is too oldschool and hard to be enjoyed by anyone."

The dude who reviewed DQVI is a huge sidescroller fan as evidenced by his game collection, blog posts, and Mega Man avatar.

They’re supposed to give the game a fair shake regardless, but I guess that’s impossible.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

ConanThe3rd posted:

See also; God Hand

Game is hard, wah.

3 out of 10

Minus the 3 of 10 thing, that’s pretty much what’s been said about Ninja Gaiden for years.

Sad fact: it’s not even really that hard.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Bought the US version of 6, gently caress Nintendo and their lovely European Localisation team.

What? The script and the accents are some of the best parts of DQ games these days.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Agrias120 posted:

DQ6 is part of Amazon's Gold Box deals today, so anyone not having picked it up yet might want to check it out!

Where are you seeing this?

Edit: Nevermind. I see on Joystiq that it’s the 10 AM PST gold box deal. Amazon identifies it as a “Nintendo RPG”.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

The gold box deal is indeed for DQ6 and it’s 9 bucks off.

Editing to reflect the updated price. When I originally posted it was just one dollar off.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Arcaeris posted:

Ugh, I wish I'd bought DQ6 in Japanese like a year ago. I know Barbara was a more common name in 1995 or whatever, and it's not now, but Ashlynn? Are you serious? What kind of a name is Ashlynn?

I agree that renaming Barbara to Ashlynn is a bad decision, but there’s pun value. Red hair = fire = ashes = ASHlynn. She also learns Madante/Magic Burst which pretty much reduces enemies to cinders, so there are some more ashes.

I think it’s interjecting a pun where a pun need not go, sort of like renaming Flora to Nera in DQ5 (still not sure what the Nera pun is, to be honest) while leaving Debora and Bianca’s names intact and punless. That’s one of my few complaints about the current DQ localization team, their inconsistent treatment of party members’ names.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Finally got my copy of DQ6 from the Amazon gold box sale. Picked up a copy of Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals. Absolutely LOVED Lufia 1 and 2 in my younger days. There shall be much gaming this weekend.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mister Roboto posted:

9 is a more polished version of 6. 6 feels like a step back in quality for me, especially as I just got off playing 9.

I’d say 9 is a more polished version of 3, while 8 is a more polished version of 6.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Billy Black posted:

I played a little Dragon Quest IX, but got preoccupied with other games and didn't get too far. The little bit I did see, though, I loved. I said it in the DQIX thread, but it reminds me of Earthbound with the humor and gameplay, and I've been looking for a game like that for a long time.

EarthBound is practically a carbon copy of Dragon Quest. Intentionally so, but still.

quote:

-Something about monsters joining your party? This sounds very exciting to me. Is it as good as it sounds, or is it filler content?

There are long stretches of the game where recruited monsters will be your only party characters, and some monsters will be useful for the entire game.

quote:

-On that same note, the Dragon Quest Monster games sound even more exciting to me, for the same reason I love Pokemon. Should I really start that series with the GBA games, or is starting with the DS one (DQM:Joker) fine?

Starting with Joker is fine.

quote:

-When people talk about Party Chat, are they referring to when I hit the X or Y button? I'm assuming it gets more interesting when I have more party members than some little girl.

Yes, talking with the party members = party chat.

quote:

-What's up with the DQ/DW thing? Is it like Final Fantasy III/VI, where it was a localization thing, or is there more to it?

When Enix finally set up a US branch to translate Dragon Quest, the name Dragon Warrior had already been trademarked a few years earlier. Via Wikipedia:

"Early in the series, Dragon Quest games were released under the title Dragon Warrior in North America to avoid trademark conflict with the role-playing game (RPG) Dragon Quest, which was published by Simulations Publications in the 1980s until the company's 1982 bankruptcy and acquisition by TSR, Inc.. TSR continued publishing the line as an alternative to Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) until 1987,[1] and in 2003, Square Enix registered the Dragon Quest trademark in the United States.”

quote:

It's pretty unbelievable to me that I've never played a DQ game, especially with how much I like RPG's in general. But better late than never I suppose.

Welcome aboard. Make sure to dig up Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, many regard it as the best entry in the series. Japan likes Dragon Quest III more, though.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Vakal posted:

What do people normally do with all the various +stat seed items?

Do you use them to patch up deficiencies on teammates, or just slap them all on the hero character?

Depends on the DQ game in question. For games like III, VIII, and potentially IX, where you have the same party the whole game, I’ll spread the seeds around evenly. For games like IV, V, VI, and VII, where your party is either configurable or changes depending on where you’re at in the story, I’ll just drop them on the hero, since he’s always in the party. The latter is my MO in other RPGs like Breath of Fire, too.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Volitaire” posted:

Is it like a DQ thing that boomerangs are loving awesome in every game? They kicked rear end in 8 and after saving up enough to get the first one in 5 my hero is suddenly a powerhouse.

Yep. Boomerangs are great early to mid game weapons in DQ games.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Is... is THAT what they call Darkdrium/Dark Dream now? :negative:

Yes.

Honestly, I like Nokturnus more than Dark Dream. Murdaw, however… ugh.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mister Roboto posted:

Technically, there's no "now" as this is the first official release of DQ6; most of those names are fan-names. Outside of the DQ Monster ones, that is.

They’re just romanizations of the Japanese names. It’s not like the DQ6 translation patch came up with totally new names: that’s what the official translation did.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mister Roboto posted:

Man, the music is pretty awful in this edition. Not that DQ was ever Uematsu, but even the early NES tunes were more...tuneful than some of these.

Since when is Uematsu some genius of melodic composition and sample quality?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"Mister Roboto” posted:

This would generally indicate a sign of success.

No one’s claiming he hasn’t been successful, or at least, I’m not. My point is simply that he’s not the shining gold standard of video game music, or even JRPG music. (Yasunori Mitsuda is.) He’s been oddly resistant to more realistic sound sampling for a long time, for example.

Sugiyama’s music also harkens back to more simplistic days, but he does a better job of imitating real instruments and stringing together melodies. A huge number of his tracks sound remarkably similar to the original compositions when performed live.

Not trying to start a sound war, just saying that being very successful doesn’t necessarily make him the best point of reference.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

The funny thing is, the main reason I know this name is because of Chrono Trigger. He did Chrono Trigger with Uematsu. v:shobon:v

“With” Uematsu? Chrono Trigger was 95% Mitsuda, 4.5% Uematsu, 0.5% Noriko Matsuena. He also did Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Xenosaga, and a whole lot more.

But hey, he never scored a Final Fantasy game, so he doesn’t count, apparently.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Fire posted:

I don't like that sort of thing either but I would say its not that far from Dragon Quests formula. Dragon Quest is that but with more walking in circles to grind weak monsters by pressing x over and over again and a bit less pretentiousness.

Outdated troll detected.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Arcaeris” posted:

I feel like VI has the most holdover archaic elements from the old days.

In other words, it needed the least changes.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Arcaeris” posted:

DQVI, however, it like back on the old NES days. The encounter rate is just stupid high, you don't get half the information about classes and items and whatever like in DQIX, the class system is annoying and takes a lot of time, and most of the time they don't tell you where to go or anything.

DQ6’s encounter rate is higher because the class system iterates based on how many battles you’ve won while using a certain job. If the encounter rate was lower, then most people wouldn’t have the job skills necessary to be effective in the late game.

Also, I didn’t think the class system was annoying at all, nor did it “take a lot of time”. In the SFC version you’d be lucky to have the main character master the Hero class before the final story boss. In the DS version, at least in mine, he mastered the Hero class with hours to spare before said confrontation.

DQ6 DS is definitely streamlined compared to the SFC version.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Arcaeris posted:

Yeah, I played it back on the Super Famicom as well. The whole "number of battles for class rank" thing is really annoying by today's standards, and to say the encounter rate is high to support this is not very good justification for either system. If you level up just a little too much, or farm metal slimes/metal anything before near the end of the game, then like Hassan virtually gets no classes at all.

If you have a better idea of how job progression should occur, please share.

quote:

I also got really annoyed by the whole "not telling you where to go" thing because that mostly ended back in DQII. And then they brought it back? Great, spend hours wandering and looking for the next place to go all while fighting 606064121564265 random battles and not gaining anything from them.

Between the design of the overworld functionally limiting where specific methods of travel can go, the stated objectives of the second half, and the fact that a bunch of NPCs won’t shut up about the legendary equipment, progression really isn’t as obtuse as you claim.

Besides, some element of open-ended exploration is generally expected and appreciated in the DQ series. DQ8, for example, lets you go practically everywhere once you get the boat, and only gives you vague hints that you need to head west, but not specifically where.

I think you’re greatly exaggerating the second half’s progression, since the game clearly tells you that you’re supposed to travel around and look for the hero’s real body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Arcaeris posted:

Seriously? Job levels like in DQIX. Skill points like DQ Monsters Joker. JP like in Final Fantasy Tactics. Hell, even fewer level caps would even make DQVI better. All of these later systems are way better than "grind your rear end off X battles for a mystery ability that you don't know how good it is." Even more information about the jobs and what skills they give would be a big step up.

So, basically, you’re still advocating the use of battle grinding to add job levels, but you simply want to abstract away the concept of “X number of battles to master” by using a job point system. This conveniently ignores that you still need to grind X number of battles to gain the experience necessary to get those 100 job points and master the class.

Glad we cleared that up.

quote:

As for the open-world, sure, it's expected. But the depth VI goes to is crazy. I remember several parts where I saw what Madame Luca said and was like "There?" because I'd explored there. And when I went back to where she said, there were no clues as to how I was supposed to get through it. It felt disjointed.

I wouldn’t say VI is particularly “crazy” about its open-ended exploration. You’re more or less on a rail until you get the ship and Lorelei’s Harp, after which it just becomes a matter of going around and figuring out where you now have access to. And it doesn’t take a wizard to figure out that the ship can access the real world Weaver’s Peak, or that you should explore the seabed near populated areas, which eventually leads you to Poseidon and Gracos.

quote:

There's other nags I could say about it being just archaic, like how you can totally lose Amos on accident.

Amos is an optional character. “Losing” him is an intended consequence of not following the warnings the game gives you. This is like saying that Yuffie and Vincent being optional characters is a sign that FF7 is archaic.

Nor am I sure why “archaic” is a bad thing, considering that contemporary games consist of a series of cutscenes depicting the protagonist’s generic rage, which can be quelled only by hitting the win button.

quote:

It just certainly isn't the breezy fun playthroughs that the DQIV and V remakes are, and that's what I was warning that dude about.

You are the only person I’ve ever seen on the Intertubes who had a problem with the open-ended segments near the end. The only one.